Thread: Blown hpdi 300

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter21i View Post
    Tried the ecu still the same I did change the port side plugs and it will idle in the water as long as it is 1400 rpm or higher if I have it at 700 to 900 it will only idle on the hose still I think the cheap Amazon vst pump can't handle the 300 so I have a Yamaha pump on the way
    Pump would not cause a problem at idle. I think you might have a bad injector driver. There is 2 on your motor.

2. Member
    Sorry went back and saw you swapped the drivers.

It will start and idle in water now but it just dies after a second or two it will start again but do the same thing I'm thinking I may have a crack or pin hole in a hose somewhere creating a vacuum leak

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Miyagi View Post
    Pump would not cause a problem at idle. I think you might have a bad injector driver. There is 2 on your motor.
    I found a tester that fit I only have 30 psi on the vst are you saying that won't effect the idle on these

5. Member
    50 psi key on then goes to 43 psi after 5sec. 50psi when running.
    Good job loading vid, I can't even upload a pic on here

Well its fixed at least it will idle in the water I have not run it at the lake yet I replaced the vst with a used one from Ebay that still had the Yamaha pump in it and it fired up like the old days lol I did put a f150 fuel filter on it hopefully it will work at wot if not I will get the 80 dollar Yamaha one

7. Member

8. Member
    Have you run it in the lake yet and have you tested the psi on the new pump you put in? I still like the ideal of the 300 black motor , what do they run in price ?

Waiting for it to stop raining and see if I can get away to break it in and the pressure tester broke started leaking out of the gauge so I didn't get to see what the new pump was but it idles again so hopefully it will be good to go just need to do the break in so I can open it up

10. Member
    woo hoo!! Glad you found it. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

11. Member
    Have you got to run it yet ?

Quote Originally Posted by skeeter2222 View Post
    Have you got to run it yet ?
    No I work on zero turn mower's and I'm covered up it may be a few weeks before I get to go

13. Member
    Did you ever get it out and run it ?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by McQuaig View Post
    Thanks yam911 I didn't know that. Why do many owners here on BBC talk about trashing their SHO's when they blow wbecause they're quoted over $10000 for a full replacement block? And sorry skeeter2 for maybe getting off your topic...
    It all depends on what the specific issue is that caused the failure, most SHO failures I have seen are upper crankcase failures that require a new block and cylinder heads. I have never seen a sho with low compression on 1 cylinder, maybe we dont see that many SHO motors, doesnt mean it couldn't happen but I haven't seen one in 7 years of yamaha warranty claims.

well i made it to the lake it did the same thing only way it will idle is to have the tps voltage at 78 i did run it it ran good up to 5000 rpm then after about a mile it started to slow down like it was not getting fuel so i limped it on the trailer and im done messing with it i have changed everything but the hp pump and im being told it would not effect the idle problem i did run another compression test all around 100 to 105 psi probably go four stroke this winter

16. Member
    There has to be someone out there that can fix this or tell you what the problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by skeeter2222 View Post
    There has to be someone out there that can fix this or tell you what the problem is.
    i think the problem is the hpdi is getting old all the techs are going to school on the four stroke like the sho i found what the problem is on mine but no clue what is causing it if i leave injector no2 unplugged before i start it it will idle perfect i can then go and plug it in and it will still run fine but soon as i put it in gear it will run bad and die then i have to unplug it again hold down the hotfoot to the floor to get it to restart if i dont plug no2 in i can go in and out of gear and it will run good and idle but soon as put it in gear with no2 plugged in i have the problem i swapped injector drivers and ecu still the same it has to be some kind of switch all the dealers are covered up or just dont want to mess with hpdi around here so i will wait until winter and see what trade in they will give me on a new 300 pro xs four stroke

dont think its the injector i took another injector from a friends hpdi and did not install it just plugged it in and it does the same thing
    Last edited by skeeter21i; 06-02-2020 at 11:34 AM.

well i unplugged the other injector plugs one at a time and all i pull on that one side will make it run better im thinking that rail is not getting enough fuel to supply all three injectors on that side so when one is unplugged the other two have enough fuel and the two cylinders still plugged in kick in im thinking that side of the hp pump is stopped up mine has the dual hp pump is that something that can happen thanks for any help

20. Member
    What does YDS say fuel rail pressure is at idle? I don't have YDS dut I check voltage at the sensor and if iI get 3.2 V at idle I know I don't have a fuel pressure/volume problem. Have you checked the interrupter switch, mentioned on here by another member?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast