Thread: 8612xsv

8612xsv

What is the micro SD card that comes in the unit from the factory for? Does it need to be left in the unit?
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy fishing baits and that's about the same thing

Good question. I've never observed a card in a new unit. Did you purchase direct from Garmin or another dealer? Maybe your dealer updated it for you, but forgot to remove the card.
    Explore the card on your computer and report back regarding the contents.
    Garmin Pro Team

3. Member
    I bought three of them on E-bay, from different people. Two have showed up. They both sold as new and the boxes weren't opened but both had cards. Neither were up to date with the current software. I will pull a card tonight and check it out in the morning when I get to work. I only have a I pad at home so no card reader. I'll let you know what I find.
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy fishing baits and that's about the same thing

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    Good question. I've never observed a card in a new unit. Did you purchase direct from Garmin or another dealer? Maybe your dealer updated it for you, but forgot to remove the card.
    Explore the card on your computer and report back regarding the contents.

So the micro SD cards have GARMN printed on them. After exploring them today all I can see is on them is some file names, like maybe its a default back up card that GARMIN has put into the units? I wouldn't think I would need them in the units to run them tho.

5. Member
    I have 8410' no card came with those
    Risen From The Ashes!!

6. Member
    Might be the 30,000 missing emails!
    If I looked good in spandex and my boats paint had glitter, I’d fish for bass.
    Luckily the Crappie, Stripers and Tuna don’t seem to care.............. BigBry

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBry View Post

Check on me in a week and make sure i'm still kicking

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBry View Post
    This got a real lol

Quote Originally Posted by Komatoz521 View Post
    What is the micro SD card that comes in the unit from the factory for? Does it need to be left in the unit?
    I checked on this, and Garmin is including SD cards for immediate ActiveCaptain support out of the box for 8600s due to the card slot location. The concern was customers who flush mount, but forget to add a card. In this case it is difficult to add a card once installed. They just decided to just put it in at the factory.
    Garmin Pro Team

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    I checked on this, and Garmin is including SD cards for immediate ActiveCaptain support out of the box for 8600s due to the card slot location. The concern was customers who flush mount, but forget to add a card. In this case it is difficult to add a card once installed. They just decided to just put it in at the factory.
    Thanks Todd