Negative engine ground cable

What gauge is the engine ground cable to battery and where can I buy marine grade cable in bulk so I can tailor length?
    Can you replace the cable without removing the starboard side cowling?

Recently experience not being able to start the motor due to slow cranking, all connections looked good, replaced the $200 battery but found out the negative cable was corroding inside the insulation preventing adequate ground. The cable felt warm, but not hot after attempting to start but I thought it was normal.

Ot076246
    2000 Merc Optimax 200hp

2. Member
    Boat:
    2000 21' Champion Bay

3. Member
    You have a PM.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Member
    Removed the main cowling and appears both positive and negative cables can be accessed and changed without removing the side cowlings.

Wil be replacing both as saltwater is harsh on any wiring/metal.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Most any dealer will have or can assist with hi-quality Marine cables. The OEM (original) cables are 4ga and 12' long.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Del City sells all types of marine grade wire, cable, and connectors.

7. Member
    A few years ago, a Friend had this issue. We went to a local welding supply house. They had really good cable (flexible as in welding cables, as opposed to stiff) where the wires were tinned to avoid corrosion. We gave 'em the lengths, they cut the cable and used a hydraulic press to install ring connectors on both ends. Was not terribly expensive. Length is totally up to you.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

8. Member
    Being in a hurry, purchased the 4 gauge tinned cables from West Marine at $3.39 per ft., connectors and heatshrink tubing.

Thanks again!