93sv plus vs 93sv uhd

Can anyone tell me the difference? Looking at the advertisements I can’t seem to figure out any major changes

2. Member
    The UHD supports the Ultra Hi Def transducers.

SE Kansas grass grower (retired)

ROCK CHALK

So does that mean you get a clearer picture on the UHD vs regular echomap plus?

4. Member
    Can a 93sv plus hook up to the uhd scanning sonar gcv 20 with black box and gt34 uhd transducer

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bpayne View Post
    Can a 93sv plus hook up to the uhd scanning sonar gcv 20 with black box and gt34 uhd transducer
    Yes. From what I can see, the new echomap UHD units are the same, as the plus units, but with built-in UHD compatability. So, no black box needed.
    To be clear:
    Echomap 93 UHD - no black box needed for UHD transducers.
    Echomap 93 plus - GCV20 required to run UHD transducers.

6. Member
    Was almost decided on the Raymarine Element, though the Echomap 93 UHD seems to have much better picture quality than the Plus version.

Can anybody confirm this?

Thanks.

7. Member
    Have you seen them side by side? The screen resolution is the same on both units.
    Maybe I was wrong and the limiting factor for image clarity on the 93+ unit is the sonar module and not the screen itself?

I can tell you there is a substantial difference in clarity between the 93+ amd the 106.

Would be cool if one of our garmin reps could shed some light on this. ;)

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SamMule View Post
    Have you seen them side by side? The screen resolution is the same on both units.
    Maybe I was wrong and the limiting factor for image clarity on the 93+ unit is the sonar module and not the screen itself?

I can tell you there is a substantial difference in clarity between the 93+ amd the 106.

Would be cool if one of our garmin reps could shed some light on this. ;)
    Yeah, I think it might be the transducer. Given that the competitors that have better image quality use the same screen resolution on their 9inch units, I think that the transducer might be making the difference.

Happy to be corrected though! ;)

9. Member
    I don't think it is the transducer. I have done some playing with swapping transducers between the 106 and 93 and comparing images across the network and directly on the unit they are plugged in to. GT50 and GT54. (GT54 comes with the UHD units)
    From what I can see, the transducer plugged directly to the 106 is consistently clearer.
    This leads me to believe the difference is in the screen resolution or the sonar module inside the unit.

Would really like someone from garmin to jump in and tell me there is a difference in the sonar module that will improve clarity over the plus unit.
    Or maybe not... That will probably cost me another $1k ;)

10. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Iam going to hook my gt34 to my 1042 and see if the image is any different than the 1242 as there should be some notable difference.As soon as the weather breaks again probably not this week here n Missouri!

11. Member
    GT34 runs through GCV20 to your units, right?
    If I understand the way this all works, the GCV20 contains the sonar module used to process the signal from the GT34.
    Assuming there is a difference in screen resolution between the two units, your tests will tell us if the difference is inside (sonar module) or the screen itself.

Right?

12. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Yep I can Ethernet it to both units ,but after Leonard’s pics on the 8616 iam going to say that’s the problem.The 8600 is just amazing on pic quality imo.