wiring livescope and 3 units

fixing to install a 122 and livescope on the front and 2 102's at the console, later I will add another 102 to the front possibly. i had all my Lowrance units 2 gen 3 12's, a gen 3 9 and 3d ran through a factory rotary swith that is a 20 amp on the console. im running 8 gauge from the battery up to the console to a 6 fuse bus panel and going 10 gauge to the units and livescope box. will that 20 amp switch be enough to carry the load of all that? its a convenient spot to cut power to all the units. anyone see a problem with this setup or something I need to do different? also on the livescope garmin said it doesn't need to be out of water no more than 10 minutes or it starts to heat up, can you put the unit in standby or sleep mode and it turn the livescope off running to different spots?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckHunter57 View Post
    fixing to install a 122 and livescope on the front and 2 102's at the console, later I will add another 102 to the front possibly. i had all my Lowrance units 2 gen 3 12's, a gen 3 9 and 3d ran through a factory rotary swith that is a 20 amp on the console. im running 8 gauge from the battery up to the console to a 6 fuse bus panel and going 10 gauge to the units and livescope box. will that 20 amp switch be enough to carry the load of all that? its a convenient spot to cut power to all the units. anyone see a problem with this setup or something I need to do different? also on the livescope garmin said it doesn't need to be out of water no more than 10 minutes or it starts to heat up, can you put the unit in standby or sleep mode and it turn the livescope off running to different spots?
    I think your setup sounds great. My setup is very similar...only thing different is I also added 6 fuse panel up front. Your wire size is good...8ga rated for 50A and 10ga rated for 30A...your voltage drop will be minimal. Concerning the 20A switch...should be ok but may want to upgrade to a 30A if this switch is easily replaced and especially if you are already planning additions in the future. If you look up the specs on your (3) units and live scope...your "typical" power draw at 12vdc will add up to approximately 11A...however your total "max" draw will be approximately 22A.
    2019 Weld-Craft 1960 Mod-V
    2019 Evinrude Etec 150/105 Jet
    Minn Kota Ultrex 24v-80#-45"
    Garmin EchoMap Ultra 122SV, GT54UHD (Front)
    Garmin EchoMap Plus 93SV (Front)
    Garmin EchoMap Ultra 102SV, GT56UHD (Console)
    Panoptix Livescope, GLS10/LVS32

3. Member
    I have about the same set up. I installed a 30a circuit breaker/switch back at the battery on the positive leg to protect the circuit.

When I pull my trolling motor up to move to another spot I press Menu>Sonar Transmit.
    That will turn off the transducer that you have pulled up on the screen.
    When you lower the trolling motor press Sonar Transmit On.
    I do that to keep the Livescope transducer from scrolling-searching for a bottom signal while my trolling motor is stowed.
    Last edited by DR. DROP; 01-16-2020 at 01:00 AM.

4. Member
    I'm not 100% on this, mostly because I have the same question. But I believe that since there is only 1 ethernet port on each Garmin, and Livescope plugs into the ethernet port, you are also going to need a network switch to be able to get all 2-3 units and livescope on the same network. Garmin sells a "GMS 10 Network Expander." It looks like its just a $250 network switch to me. Does anyone know if you MUST use the GMS 10 for Garmins, or would any regular old 100mpbs network switch get the job done? I'd much rather spend $20 on a normal network switch and put it in a plastic bag or something rather than shelling out $250...
    2020 Triton TRX189 B B W
    Mercury ProXS 150 I B O
    Garmin EchoMAP Plus (2x) G A L
    Toyota 4Runner D F

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Lobo View Post
    I'm not 100% on this, mostly because I have the same question. But I believe that since there is only 1 ethernet port on each Garmin, and Livescope plugs into the ethernet port, you are also going to need a network switch to be able to get all 2-3 units and livescope on the same network. Garmin sells a "GMS 10 Network Expander." It looks like its just a $250 network switch to me. Does anyone know if you MUST use the GMS 10 for Garmins, or would any regular old 100mpbs network switch get the job done? I'd much rather spend $20 on a normal network switch and put it in a plastic bag or something rather than shelling out $250...
    I think the ultras have 2 ethernet ports on the units so the expander isn't needed or atleast that's what im told anyways.

6. Member
    Yeah I think you're right, realized that after my post. With your ultras you'll be in the clear.
    2020 Triton TRX189 B B W
    Mercury ProXS 150 I B O
    Garmin EchoMAP Plus (2x) G A L
    Toyota 4Runner D F

7. Member
    This guy confirmed a generic network switch will work, as long as you get the voltage to the switch right.

He also has his own product for sale now (I’m not related to him):

So, I think it’s pretty straight forward for handymen.

Quote Originally Posted by Juan Lobo View Post