Merc 4 stroke oil v8

2b635075 which weight oil is better to run the 10w 30w or 25w 40w semi synthetic. Thanks

2. Member
    If your fishing mostly hot weather I would do 25W 40W. If you have a lot of cold morning starts around freezing temps I do 10W 30W.

3. Member
    The sticker under the oil check lid recommends 10 w 30 for normal conditions. I think that the Mercury 10w30 is available in a synthetic blend.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    10w30 Synthetic Blend is the recommended lubricant. Purchase two gallons (you will only use about 1.5 gallons... start with about 5 quarts and recheck level carefully each time you add oil).

Aim for the second yellow ball in the safe zone.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    10w30 Synthetic Blend is the recommended lubricant. Purchase two gallons (you will only use about 1.5 gallons... start with about 5 quarts and recheck level carefully each time you add oil).

Aim for the second yellow ball in the safe zone.
    Could you pin this for future reference on V8 ?

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Will be working on a pinned post covering multiple engines- unfortunately Mercury's "current" chart "isn't".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor