Installing the Ghost

Just got mine, and plan to install in next few days. Aside from being careful with the location of the heading sensor, any other tips or recommendations from those who have already installed theirs? Thanks for any information you can provide.

2. Member
    The Ghost comes with 6 rubber/hard plastic bushings, and the diagram shows them going on the bolts between the boat and the mount. I first mounted mine as depicted in the diagram without noticing the directions say these are "optional". Be aware that if you use all six as depicted in the diagram, there will be enough gap between the mount and the fiberglass that your security strap will slide back and forth.

After doing this I realized the point of the bushings is to use them to level your deck so the bracket can be tightened to the deck without twisting or binding (bending) the mount. If the mount is tightened to the deck and then the release pin does not function smoothly when deploying and/or stowing the motor, then use one or more of these bushings to get the mount level.

If I were you I would not use any bushings, tighten the mount to the deck, and then check deployment and stowing of the motor to check for binding. If you have binding, use one or more bushings to level the mounting bracket and then retighten.

If you are replacing a previous Minnkota Maxxum, Fortrex, or Ultrex, there is no need to attach the motor to the mount prior to securing the mount to the deck. The previous holes are in the right place, so just secure the mount for the Ghost in the same 6 holes, and then attach the motor to the mount. Much easier this way.

All of my cables from the footpedal fit through the same 7/8" diameter hole I previously drilled in my Ranger. Just push the cable with the largest connector through the hole first, and continue until the last cable with the smallest connector goes through the hole. All will fit in a single hole if you want if you follow this order.

The only other point is that I needed two Ring Terminals to fit the end of the 6 gauge wires for the trolling motor. They had to be large enough to fit 6 ga wire, and the rings had to be small enough to fit the terminal connector box in my Ranger. These are the only parts I had to chase down.

Overall the mounting process is very easy, even when doing it alone. Hope this helps you.
    ciao,
    Marc

3. Member
    I noticed that RMP were installing their heading sensors near the trolling motor bracket and they recommend getting a magnetic compass and see how the bracket will affect the magnetic field of the compass and place the sensor accordingly.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

4. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Marc, you hit on an install tip that I do when I mount a TM on a deck. By simply laying the mount (it's lighter in weight now) on the deck (in the exact location it is being mounted) without the TM being assembled into it allows you to check for any wobble/teetering or daylight under any area of the mount. Gently pressing down on all 4 corners one at a time will usually show if its not perfectly flat.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

5. Banned
    Something nobody here seems to be doing, read the freaking instructions on how to calibrate it!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Something nobody here seems to be doing, read the freaking instructions on how to calibrate it!
    Instructions are for sissies!

Thanks for all the great info everyone!

Awaiting the delivery of mine !! Cant wait
    Basscat P4

8. Member
    On a Ranger C boat, you may need a spacer on the furthest portside bolt to avoid binding. There is a YouTube video discussing this.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yupitsme View Post
    Instructions are for sissies!

apparently

10. Member
    I got my Ghost on a weekday with plans to install it on Saturday. By the time Saturday came, I had read the installation manual at least 10 times! I am very geeky that way. In that I actually like to read manuals. On installation day, me and a buddy installed the thing in less than 2 hours. Sure there were a couple hiccups, but the install was pretty smooth. I used none of the rubber spacers. Mine deploys like butter and is ROCK solid.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    apparently
    Ya, that's what the pilots of the doomed 737 MAX aircraft said when they were given the new instructions.

12. Member
    Thanks for all of the tips.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    I got my Ghost on a weekday with plans to install it on Saturday. By the time Saturday came, I had read the installation manual at least 10 times! I am very geeky that way. In that I actually like to read manuals. On installation day, me and a buddy installed the thing in less than 2 hours. Sure there were a couple hiccups, but the install was pretty smooth. I used none of the rubber spacers. Mine deploys like butter and is ROCK solid.

NoCAL
    Nocal what trolling motor did you have before you installed the Ghost on your Triton?

14. Member
    I went from a Maxum to a Fortrex to a Ghost.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

15. Member
    One thing that is covered briefly in the instructions is that you must install the motor to the mount with the mount in the deployed (in the water) position. If you install with the mount stowed then the safety latch will not be under the small tab. If this happens the motor will not latch in the deployed position.