USA Running transducer wires through steering on Ultrex

Is it ok to run the transducer wires up through the steering block on the ultrex trolling motors? I used to do that to my terrova and other minn Kota motors but I’ve searched far and wide, I don’t seem to see anyone doing it. I’ve seen a ton of the same pictures everywhere of a guy that put all kinds of corrugated tubing all over but I definitely don’t want to do that. Just pull the head off, slide the shaft out of the block and feed wires through. Thought that’s why they designed it like that..... so I guess I’m just wondering if it’s not advised or something now. Let me know. Thanks.

Brian Beighey

Ranger Z520L 250 Mercury Pro XS Fourstroke 23P Fury
    Lowrance HDS 12/9 Live Council, HDS9 Live/ Garmin 106SV Livescope Bow
    Twin Power Poles

You can do that IF the transducer cable is small enough.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    I have a total scan and a live sight I’m gonna run through. Looks to be plenty enough room

Brian Beighey

Twin Power Poles

If they'll fit--do it. I ran t-ducer cable and a speaker wire for fish caller through mine.
    I now have the cable ran through the center of shaft with the power wires. Will void the warranty but I have an extra shaft and motor.. (Long story).. Took some work but makes a very clean job.. I despise zip ties and corrugated tubing..

5. Member
    I ran them tonight. I set them in some silicone a wrapped the whole shaft with 3/8 line to compress the cables a little bit. Should work nicely. If I get around to it I’ll post some pictures in the next day or so.

Brian Beighey

Twin Power Poles

6. Member
    I’ve been using the us2 transducer all along. I’m asking this, is there another transducer I could be using with my HD’s gen 2 touch that will give me enough of an advantage for it to be worth doing what your all doing to put a external one on without it looking like crap? Thanks for your time

7. Member
    I prefer the Lowrance HDI transducer for my Gen2 Touch unit. It gives me 2d and Downscan in a small transducer size. I zip tie the cable to the shaft and then route the cable down the mount. Be sure to leave plenty of slack at the steering motor.

8. Member
    He is correct. The hdi is a great transducer in a small package if you don’t want to deal with side scan. You will have no problem running that through as that cord looks to be a touch smaller then both of the wires I ran. I have the hdi mounted to my little pond boat trolling motor that I use for my electric only lake. Works great and provides a good down image.

Brian Beighey

Twin Power Poles