Thread: Gt30 or UHD54 ?

Gt30 or UHD54 ?

I only fish water under 50 feet I mainly use side to look for cover my unit is a 8612 anyone with experience with both.

2. Member
    This is how it breaks down. GT 30 is good out to 40+. GT 34 which is the UHD version of the 30 is best out to 25-30ft depth. I have had both on my boat, currently running the 34 because of my shallow river system lakes I fish in south arkansas.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Gt 30 is just al around better,it’s goes deeper gets out farther and has better detail imo.

4. Member
    I've played with and installed several of each....if you have the 8600 series just go with the 54 as it works good as an all in one trans.....the 34 has best down....the 30 best side....and 54 best all around IMO.

5. Member
    You limited the comparison to be between the GT30 or GT54. You fish up to 50 FOW. If you are in 40 FOW wouldn't you want to see well to the side out to at least 80 ft or more. That means GT30. Why not get a GT50.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

6. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Here’s the thing running both a 106 uhd 54 along with 1242 gt30 the uhd misses a lot of structure,first thing I noticed was cables holding no wake marker in the lake.It even missed some of the brush piles.Now my gt34 uhd does the same thing .Gt 30 picks up everything.I don’t know why the uhd does this but I figured if it’s missing this stuff it’s missing fish.Now you could just use the lower frequency on the gt54 .The gt 30 with y cable I can run a high speed sonar in the hull and never lose bottom contact.

7. Member
    Garmin Brent Ehler Picked up this year at hes running GT-34UHD for shallow area and the GT-30/ GT-8 combo once he gets into deeper water.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ187elite View Post
    Garmin Brent Ehler Picked up this year at hes running GT-34UHD for shallow area and the GT-30/ GT-8 combo once he gets into deeper water.
    This is exactly what I do. I have both the 30 and 34 installed. Prefer the 34 when depths allow, but as others have stated, once you get in depths 25-30 and greater, SideVu will fade so I switch to the 30.
    Garmin Pro Team

9. Member
    What is involved in switching out a transducer? Not near the boat and thinking about buying a new transducer before I put my hands on the boat again, GT30 is on sale on Amazon right now. I've got a GT52 transom mounted already; is it as simple as unscrewing and unplugging the GT52 and replacing it with the GT30, or is the transducer hardwired to its cable and I'd need to pull the cable for the new transducer?
    2020 Triton TRX189 B B W
    Mercury ProXS 150 I B O
    Garmin EchoMAP Plus (2x) G A L
    Toyota 4Runner D F

10. Member
    Can gt30 be used directly on Echomap Plus series? Or a GCV 10 box is required?

11. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Lobo View Post
    What is involved in switching out a transducer?
    Running the wires to the head unit and plug up......

BUT the GT30 does not have 2d so if you want to 2d you will need the GT8 or GT15 and the Y cable to connect to unit.

Quote Originally Posted by BassTracker175 View Post
    Can gt30 be used directly on Echomap Plus series? Or a GCV 10 box is required?
    Box not required to use on the EC Plus units but see my comment on this post.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    This is exactly what I do. I have both the 30 and 34 installed. Prefer the 34 when depths allow, but as others have stated, once you get in depths 25-30 and greater, SideVu will fade so I switch to the 30.
    So what is needed to run- configure this combo. Two units at the console?
    The 30 and 34 are 12 pin and GT8 is 8pin?
    A Y cable and 2 units networked?
    Last edited by DR. DROP; 01-17-2020 at 03:23 PM.

13. Member
    Garmin just needs to come up with a better all around transducer. WOW, reading all these post on here makes my head spin. Shouldn't be this complicated!