Question 250SS Jump Start capable

I was curious if any of you 250ss owners could verify if a certain Weego/NOCO type jump starter works on these motors. I've never needed one with this motor. I've read around on this site about different ones. Everyone states whether it starts their specific brand/horsepower outboard. Are there any fellow 250SS
    owners that can refer me to one they've had good luck with? For all I know, our specific motor is tougher to start than some other brand. I've heard in general that 4 strokes require more juice. But now sure if this is always true or not.

I hope all of you are well. I haven't been posting much on this particular forum since my engine has been working. I try to check periodically to see if I can learn anything or help. But looks like Moonlighter, Booter and several of you others pretty much answer any questions folks have

2. Member
    What we do know is that modern efi engines demand a good power supply.

Its not really about them being harder to start ie I dont think they require more brute cranking power to turn over or anything.

Its more that the electronics involved are pretty complex these days, and will simply not play nice if they dont get the voltage and amperage that they need to do their jobs. And when electronics arent happy, things dont happen. Electronic fuel pumps may not be activated, and so on. A common symptom of poor voltage supply on Suzukis is multiple false error codes on digital gauges/displays.

I dont know about specific jump starters used on Suzukis. But, if I had a battery that was run down so low that the engine threw codes and wouldnt start, I would hook the jump starter, start the engine, and leave the jump starter attached so the system continued to be boosted until I was confident that the battery was charged up enough to keep all things electronic happy.

Of course the standard approach on offshore boats is to run 2 batteries, one being dedicated to starting, and one for everything else on board. Mine has dual batteries and a VSR with a switching system that also allows both batteries to be turned on an off separately and also to be combined in an emergency (such as the start battery failing).

Hope things are going well with your boat these days, and that the new year brings tight lines and smooth seas.
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 01-15-2020 at 05:17 PM.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    I was curious if any of you 250ss owners could verify if a certain Weego/NOCO type jump starter works on these motors. I've never needed one with this motor. I've read around on this site about different ones. Everyone states whether it starts their specific brand/horsepower outboard. Are there any fellow 250SS
    owners that can refer me to one they've had good luck with? For all I know, our specific motor is tougher to start than some other brand. I've heard in general that 4 strokes require more juice. But now sure if this is always true or not.

I hope all of you are well. I haven't been posting much on this particular forum since my engine has been working. I try to check periodically to see if I can learn anything or help. But looks like Moonlighter, Booter and several of you others pretty much answer any questions folks have
    Hey Kev, hope all is going well with you. To be honest, I'm sure the Weego/NOCO would be fine for the 250SS and I believe that the Mercury Pro XS 2 Stroke is probably the hardest engine to start since it requires turning that compressor that implodes all of the time. Personally, I carry a pair of jumper cables and will cross connect to my trolling batteries if needed.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

4. Member
    Thanks guys. In regards to the jumper cables, isn't it dangerous to hook them to one of the specific deep cycle batteries? I have a 36 volt system. 1 of the 3 trolling batteries is beside my crank battery. It happens to be the one that has the 60 amp circuit breaker on it that then leads up front. I'm not sure how to ask my question, but isn't there one of the trolling batteries that is the LEAST recommended to use?

I carry jumpers but have never used them yet (All my breakdown back in the day were not battery related). When I read those Weego/Noco threads, I hear how these products are less risky in damaging other things in an effort to get engine started.

5. Member
    Don't guess on which battery to use, find out first. Most times you will only get 12 volts but there is a possibility you could get 24 to 36. It also endangers the grounding wires throughout your boat. You want the most negative battery, usually not the one with the current limiter. There are portable jump boxes available that are small as a hardcopy book that will deliver incredible amperages. I have one it weighs about a pound, I used it the other day to start a car which had a battery in it that read 8 volts.

6. Member
    BTW, glad to hear you have no negative issues with your new motor.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Don't guess on which battery to use, find out first. Most times you will only get 12 volts but there is a possibility you could get 24 to 36. It also endangers the grounding wires throughout your boat. You want the most negative battery, usually not the one with the current limiter. There are portable jump boxes available that are small as a hardcopy book that will deliver incredible amperages. I have one it weighs about a pound, I used it the other day to start a car which had a battery in it that read 8 volts.
    Excuse my ignorance but I assume a "current limiter" is the 60 amp circuit breaker I have on one of my 3 trolling batteries? And I definitely don't want to endanger the grounding wires. Sounds like you are a Weego/Noco or other similar type device fan.

8. Member
    I have a Noco for my boat charger. It works fine. On some boats the most negative battery has braided wires to the fuel filler and maybe other places to bleed off static electricity. Take a voltmeter and put the positive lead on the current limiter, and go to the negative of each battery with the negative lead. When you get 36 volts the battery with the negative lead on it is the most negative and it's safe to jump from that one if you observe polarity.

The jump box I have was a Christmas present, It wasn't a Noco, I don't remember the brand name. It surprised me and worked as advertised.