Newly retired in SW Florida

Hi all,
    My wife and I are staying in Englewood until May 1. I am looking for anyone willing to do some fishing or get together to point me in the right direction on some local areas to do some bass fishing. I do not have my boat. Any info on where to try will be greatly appreciated. Willing to share any expenses if works and willing to travel. PM me anytime.
    Thanks
    Gary
    Gary Burks Fergus Falls, MN
    2005 ZX225/2017 225 SHO

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by flippenstick View Post
    Hi all,
    My wife and I are staying in Englewood until May 1. I am looking for anyone willing to do some fishing or get together to point me in the right direction on some local areas to do some bass fishing. I do not have my boat. Any info on where to try will be greatly appreciated. Willing to share any expenses if works and willing to travel. PM me anytime.
    Thanks
    Gary
    Just move away from there in Oct. Spent 42 years of my life in Englewood. The first thing you need to do is check out Fishin' Frank's. You will find EVERYTHING you need to catch anything that swims. That includes all the local knowledge you can handle. Click on Radio Fishin' and listed to the weekly fishin' reports. Frank is just a bit on the squirrley side but he knows what he is talking about. Robert is the "adult" on the broadcast and he knows too.
    https://fishinfranks.com

Next, check out Radio Waterline on Sat morning @ 7 to 9 a/m. Click on the archives to learn even more local knowledge.
    http://waterline.fl.newsmemory.com

Frankly the ONLY thing I miss about living in Englewood other than my family, is being to easily access local knowledge freely and easily which is quite unique to that area. PM me if you want to know more.

Right now sheepshead are everywhere and a small hook with a small piece of shrimp will do the trick under almost any dock.

Thank you for all your help. Coming from up north and primarily a fresh water guy, it is a bit overwhelming with the abundance and variety of saltwater species. I'm excited to learn and hope to not get to frustrated in the process. One question, any bass fishing that can be had from shore, ponds creeks etc. in the area? I am willing to drive. We have stayed in the area for several years on vacation but this is our first extended stay.
    2005 ZX225/2017 225 SHO

4. Banned
    On Fishin's Franks site click on places to fish and scroll down to the freshwater section. There are plenty of places to freshwater fish nearby. Try the baseball park where the Rays train. There are 2 lakes that hold bass. I've caught bass pushing 4 lbs out of the larger lake. There is an R/C boat club that is there in the morning sometimes, but not always. Also there is a nice lake in North Port called Titty Lake. There are some nice bass in there.
    Waterline magazine has a freshwater section thats very helpful as well. It's written by Greg Bartz.

Oh, there are several spillways in Rotonda that produce too. They only overflow if there's been rain so now might not be such a good time for that spot, BUT I have seen tarpon there numerous times!!! There is a Publix at Cape Haze. Turn down Cape Haze drive and just after the round about there is a bridge. That's where the spillway is. Looking to the south is where I have seen tarpon. I doubt they they are there now but might be towards April or so.

Awesome, thank you so much, I will give those areas a try
    2005 ZX225/2017 225 SHO

Used to live in Estero, FL and spent most of my time fishing Pine Island sound. The famed Boca Grand is right there so you will need to learn all you can about the hill tides. The first rule of fishing tidal waters is knowing the tides otherwise you can run over to shell creek, which is your closest bess bass waters.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

7. Banned
    Right now the sheepshead are just about everywhere. We're heading down to visit family soon. We rented a place right on Lemon Bay so I'm bringing the kayaks. Might get down to Boca Grande to my "Secret Spot" if I have time.