Thread: Toledo Bend

Toledo Bend

Any reports from the bend? I will be there next week. Never laid eyes on the lake before. Staying on the south end. Anything I should know or be wary of? Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    Best advice I can give is to trailer over to Sam Rayburn. But if your heart is set- Tbend is one of the most stump filled, dangerous lakes you'll ever launch a boat on, and that's at full pool. It is currently 6 feet low. There are boat lanes marked with buoys, but they have been known to shift. Lance Vick's boatlanes (boatlanes.com) is a wise investment at $50 and might save you a lower unit. I would suggest not running anything but the main boat lanes using his info and idle everywhere else. If the North wind blows, find a protected creek to launch in and make the best of it. Good luck.
    2014 920/SHO

3. Member
    Haha was trying to avoid Rayburn due to the FLW tournament next week.

4. Member
    Find a boat ramp that works before making the drive. Many don’t work at this water level, and many do. If you are not in a marked boat lane, idle. Unless you need a new outboard.

I dunno about dangerous, been on the lake many times at 6-7 feet low. I can think of a few others that you are more likely to make contact with a UWO.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

The first time I went it was 4ft and I stayed at the Alpine resort and marina that had a,low water ramp. I fished that arm for two days and caught a lot of fish. The main lake had 4 to 6ft rollers due to high winds. Some of the arms are huge and you can spend all day in them.

7. Member
    Don’t get your hopes up. The lake has fish tough all last year and not seeing much signs of improvement so far

8. Member
    Y’all got me feeling all warm and fuzzy inside. I’ll be cautious when running and maybe I can stumble on to a little something.

9. Member
    The lake is actually easier to run with low water because you can see the timber. But being unfamiliar with it, it’s just best to idle if not in a marked lane. I do unless I know exactly where I am and I’ve fished it almost 50 years. I’d give you a fishing report but I haven’t been lately.

10. Member
    Lakemaster maps are very good on the boat lanes. Just be cautious and don’t trust the markers

11. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    The Texas SRA guys widened some of the boat lanes while the water was down. I know they did Palo Gaucho and the Spring Hill lanes. Not sure where else they went. It's pretty easy to run right now because you can clearly see the lanes.

The lake has gone up a foot in the last week and today the water temp in Palo Gaucho was 62-63 deg but it's gotten pretty mucked up. Next week those water temps will probably drop back into the mid 50's with a couple of nights around the freezing mark.

I've been catching them along the edges of the creek channels where the shad are hanging out and grinding jigs up points but that last few weeks have been pretty tough sledding with all the weather changes.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

12. Member
    Well it appears there is a BASS college tournament going on when I get there. Oh well

13. Member
    They have so many areas of that lake to fish you will barely even notice them. Just don't launch at cypress bend

14. Member
    The lakes not hard to navigate don’t be doubting your trip because others say it oh so dangerous. Every lake is dangerous. Hell all the die hard Rayburn boys scream how “stumpy” Toledo is but they never mention the black Forrest and how dangerous it is. If your a smart boater and listen to your gut you will be fine. Yes there is big timber, yes it is below pool. Just use your head and good judgment. Since it’s your first time and your gonna be on the south end which ramp have you picked to launch? There’s a lot of good fishing in 6 mile, housen, hurricane, Indian mounds ( if the winds right) and other places. It’s been a tough stick but if you have the opportunity to learn the lake and how to run the lanes then it’s still a good trip. I’ll be up on the bend this weekend fishing as well.

15. Member
    Thanks for the info. I’m having to cancel my trip, unfortunately . Gotta sign the papers to begin construction on my house, and this weekend is going to be the best time for all parties involved. Hate to do it. The main reason for the trip was to support my good friend fishing his first tournament on tour at Rayburn. Was just gonna fish the bend between blast off and weigh ins. I will be making the trip soon though.

16. Member
    Right on. Good luck on your house

17. Member
    Thanks. Let me know what I missed.

18. Member
    You’re missing some really tough weather to fish in. Cold and ugly this week.