Wife is wanting to try to play

So wife has talked a few different times about wanting to try playing Golf. I have played back a few years ago but haven't for quite a while and I did really enjoy it a lot when I was playing.
    With us moving last month we have a really nice public course here in town not far from the house. So we are wanting to give it a try.
    I know a little here and there wasn't ever really good at it but enjoyed it.
    as of right now neither of us have clubs so I think im going to try and find a set used for each of us to start with. or do you all think we would be better going to say a golf galaxy or some similar store to get clubs.
    just kinda looking for some ideas.

2. Member
    I would suggest before going to the course, go to a range first to get her comfortable with hitting the ball. My wife still feels very self conscious playing on the course because she has heard me discuss slow players. But I must admit, after a couple trips to the range she has done well and should not worry about play. If we do slow down, we just let others play through. Congratulations on getting your wife to play with you. We purchased my wife a set of starter clubs from Goodwill just to begin hitting. As she gets better, another set will be in order. Good luck to both you and your wife as it really is fun to play with the "better half".

3. Member
    whatever clubs you decide to buy her, be sure its a woman's set.

4. Member
    Just today, played with a buddy, he was telling me his wife decided she wanted to play, so he bought her a nice set of clubs. She played twice and decided not to play anymore, he sold em cheap at a garage sale last summer. Nothing wrong with going the less expensive route , starting out.

5. Member
    If your wife is tall, women’s clubs may not work.
    My wife is 5’ 9 1/2” and plays men’s clubs, senior shaft.
    She has done so for 20+ years.
    Two rules I shared with her:
    I told her no one minds bad play as long as it is fast bad play. She imparts this wisdom to other beginners and many who are slow players in any golf group.
    I told her to take lessons from someone else which she did and still does occasionally to get help when she needs it.
    She is a very athletic 21handipcap but fast player.

Most of our trips are golf trips or we work a little golf into it. We enjoy playing together and she enjoys playing with the women’s groups at the clubs we have joined. She has made some amazing friends through golf. One thing about golf, it reveals the character of those that play. She has found this to be very true.

I hope you have as much fun as we do spending time together and with other couples enjoying the outdoors while trying not to think about the fishing I am missing.

A bad day of fishing is always the fishes fault. A bad day of golfing is my fault.

6. Member
    Well said.

7. Member
    Do yourself a favor and don't try to teach her to play, it's worse than doing drivers training with a daughter. Get her some lessons and started out right.

I am by far any good that's for sure and have been out of it for quite a few years also so im just pretty much starting out as far as I am concerned so not gonna be able to teach her much anyway
    I looked around at Golf Galexy last night and they have some starter sets pretty cheap Think there was a Top Flight set for like $220 or something like that so that would work for her for a while I would think.

It is totally worth it to get your wife to play. My wife started playing because I would go by myself. She took lessons at golf Galaxy. She hits pretty straight and we enjoy our golf games. I'm the one needing lessons now.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw