Talon Install Question

Just bought a set of 10' bluetooth talons and jackplate brackets from mygreenoutdoors.com and first of all, great price, fast shipping and overall great experience. I'm putting them on a 2008 Procraft Super Pro 210 with a 250 Mercury ProXs on a slide master jp and have a few general questions.

I bought the seaflo switch that is recommended in the sticky thread by JR19 and looking at the diagram, I'm pretty sure the white positive wire on the talon has a fuse on it. So do you cut that off, then connect to the battery disconnect switch terminal 1, then reconnect the end you cut off to terminal 2 and then on to the positive of the battery? Or do I need to get a different 30A fuse to connect from terminal 2 to the battery and discard the factory fuse assembly?

Also, I plan on running the alarm wire to the fuel gauge at the dash so it's only hot when the key is on. Everything I have read says to deploy the talons in deep water occasionally to clean them off at idle speed. So should I expect the alarm to sound during that process?

Thanks

Yes you will need to cut the white wire so the fuse is located in between the battery and the disconnect. There is no need to buy another fuse. Just follow what's in the picture and you will be okay.

Yes with the alarm wired correct it will sound when you deploy them and the key is in the on position. FYI though the alarm is not continuous. It beeps for a few seconds then it stops.

Also regarding idle with them deployed to clean them. I know the manual may suggest it but when I do it my boat shakes very hard. In fact it shakes so hard I am afraid I am putting too much stress on the deployed sections and my mounts. To clean mine I simply deploy them when I am out over deep water fishing under trolling motor power. I will deploy them for about 10 minutes or so and move around like normal on the trolling motor. This will remove ant mud/grime from the deployed sections. I do this under normal fishing speed. If you deploy them and put the trolling motor on high you will get a lot of vibration just as like you were idling with your big motor.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    Yes you will need to cut the white wire so the fuse is located in between the battery and the disconnect. There is no need to buy another fuse. Just follow what's in the picture and you will be okay.

Yes with the alarm wired correct it will sound when you deploy them and the key is in the on position. FYI though the alarm is not continuous. It beeps for a few seconds then it stops.

Also regarding idle with them deployed to clean them. I know the manual may suggest it but when I do it my boat shakes very hard. In fact it shakes so hard I am afraid I am putting too much stress on the deployed sections and my mounts. To clean mine I simply deploy them when I am out over deep water fishing under trolling motor power. I will deploy them for about 10 minutes or so and move around like normal on the trolling motor. This will remove ant mud/grime from the deployed sections. I do this under normal fishing speed. If you deploy them and put the trolling motor on high you will get a lot of vibration just as like you were idling with your big motor.
    Thank you, what threw me off was somewhere in the minn kota online instructions it said something about if using a disconnect then you need a separate 30A fuse but maybe I misread, just wanted to be sure I could use the existing one. And good news on the alarm, didn't know if it was continuous or extremely loud I might have reconsidered hooking it up.

I don't think I want that vibration you are talking about either so the TM method sounds like the way to go. Thanks for the quick response and all your input, I appreciate it.

Once you get the Talon installed and have the hot and ground wire hooked up with the disconnect in the on position you can "test" the alarm and see what it sounds like before you actually hook it up. Simply just touch the alarm wire to the hot battery post and the alarm will sound. This will show you what it sounds like and how loud/quiet it is.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    Once you get the Talon installed and have the hot and ground wire hooked up with the disconnect in the on position you can "test" the alarm and see what it sounds like before you actually hook it up. Simply just touch the alarm wire to the hot battery post and the alarm will sound. This will show you what it sounds like and how loud/quiet it is.
    Nice, I'll try that. I was more concerned if it was a loud nonstop sound while deployed but after hearing about the vibration at idle, not sure it matters cause I will likely just use the trolling motor in deep water to rinse them. Thanks again.

Personally I was kind of disappointed on the volume. I have two Talons, if the wind is blowing real hard or I have on a hoodie I have trouble hearing mine. Yes I can hear them but it is kind of weak for someone like me who listen to a lot of loud heavy metal in the 80's ...in other words my hearing is not the best so if they were louder I could probably hear them better.

7. Member
    Ha, too much Iron Maiden. One more question, for now at least, it looks like on the slide master jp you discard the outer black plate to install the first piece of the talon bracket, and the new bolts go through the bracket, through the jp, and into the inner slide master plate, which is threaded. Do you then use the provided bolts on the backside of that inner plate, or does it matter?

I have zero idea. I have a TH Marine ZLock and I think they are made a tad different than a Slidemaster. I don't recall having to disregard any hardware. It will soon be 6 years since I installed mine and I can't even recall if I used new hardware or installed new hardware so sorry I can't help with that one...lots of various metal and rock. I could give a long list but my favorites were Metallica, AC/DC and Gun's n Roses.