crank bait rod blank

been thinking this over for a while and now have so time to build just not sure which blank i want to use going to use it mostly for SK 1.5's, but would like to throw 5 and 4.0 SK's if need be. i know you get what you pay for but have been pleased with low priced blanks.
    https://www.jannsnetcraft.com/rainsh...rod-blank.aspx

https://www.jannsnetcraft.com/rainsh...rod-blank.aspx

open to other options trying to spend less than $80 on a blank

You might like Thrasher blanks.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    Will give them a look Mike

4. Member
    second question to this would you go full handle or split will probably go with EVA style

I'd go cork. Better all around.

Check Lamiglas also. Sometimes they have certain overstocks on sale.

6. Member
    Check out the Thrashers, the BSC7803 or 7804 is probably what you're looking for. I got one of each from 7801 to 7808 they are really good moving bait blanks. I think he charges $50 for shipping though. I'm actually going to make an order here pretty soon, I could get one and ship it to you at my cost (usually like $15 to $19 fedex, get a great rate from work) and I have plenty of PVC blank shipping tubes in the garage. PM me if you want.

7. Member
    The Rainshadow RX7 crankbait blanks are nice. Very nice. IMO the graphite crankbait blanks are the way to go. Most of them are lighter than their fiberglass counterparts, and I've found them to work just as well when fighting fish. I built a squarebill rod on an RX& CH66MH. I cut it down to 6' because it's my tight quaters squarebill rod. I can honestly say I have never lost a fish that I hooked using that rod. And I've caught a good number of fish on it.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassbme View Post
    The Rainshadow RX7 crankbait blanks are nice. Very nice. IMO the graphite crankbait blanks are the way to go. Most of them are lighter than their fiberglass counterparts, and I've found them to work just as well when fighting fish. I built a squarebill rod on an RX& CH66MH. I cut it down to 6' because it's my tight quaters squarebill rod. I can honestly say I have never lost a fish that I hooked using that rod. And I've caught a good number of fish on it.
    Glass reacts slower than graphite which is actually an advantage when you're throwing a crankbait. Side by side you'll hook more fish and they'll get it better/deeper with glass than graphite.

I throw almost all my crankbaits on a Seeker BS706 which is Sglass, the link you have above is eglass. I don't like eglass personally. The Rod Geeks SG70MHM is almost identical to the BS706 except for the fact that RG uses graphite in the bottom third or so...make the rod a little lighter and also doesn't have a 3/4" OD at the butt. The SG70MHM is my goto suggestion for a standard CB blank.

I mentioned the Thrashers above as I'm just kind of playing with them and figuring out what they're good at. I built Mike a bladed jig rod so he'll probably chime in at some point if that was a good one. Seemed like it to me.

rod geeks SG70MHM

10. Member
    What about Phoenix blanks found a 7'4'' that calls out 1/4 to 1 oz

I’m personally a fiberglass fan for cranking, I wouldn’t put that the kinda money that Phenix blanks cost into a cranking blank. Their blanks are incredible though

12. Member
    Phenix X-14 is one of the best all around blanks for moving baits.

Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    Glass reacts slower than graphite which is actually an advantage when you're throwing a crankbait. Side by side you'll hook more fish and they'll get it better/deeper with glass than graphite.
    Not anymore. Graphite blanks (and rods) were once only available in fast and x-fast actions and were at a huge disadvantage with many baits including crankbaits and some topwater baits. The industry has responded to this situation and you can now get graphite in much slower actions (rod bends further down the blank - or all the way to the handle in some cases) than were previously available. Slower action graphite is much more sensitive and reacts much the same as fiberglass. Not to mention the fatigue factor when throwing a heavy fiberglass rod all day vs a lighter graphite. I have built several graphite crankbait rods that respond slow enough to fish crankbaits as effectively as any fiberglass rod.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hair Jig View Post
    Not anymore. Graphite blanks (and rods) were once only available in fast and x-fast actions and were at a huge disadvantage with many baits including crankbaits and some topwater baits. The industry has responded to this situation and you can now get graphite in much slower actions (rod bends further down the blank - or all the way to the handle in some cases) than were previously available. Slower action graphite is much more sensitive and reacts much the same as fiberglass. Not to mention the fatigue factor when throwing a heavy fiberglass rod all day vs a lighter graphite. I have built several graphite crankbait rods that respond slow enough to fish crankbaits as effectively as any fiberglass rod.
    The action of the blank (moderate in the case of a CB blank) and the way the blank recacts are two totally different things. Fiberglass reacts slower than graphite. They'll be close to the same when you're fighting a fish but the fact that glass is less sensitive (slower to react) than graphite is usually a positive with a crankbait. More hookups all the way in the mouth and less missed fish.

Sglass is much lighter than Eglass weight wise. A Rod Geeks SG70MHM is 2.95oz, a Phenix X10 is only like 2 oz. These are both composite, the top 2/3 is Sglass and the butt 1/3 is graphite. You get the benefits of Sglass and shave a little weight in the butt with the graphite. Also the butt isn't 7/8" OD like on the Seeker BS706's.

Some people don't like glass for whatever reason, I've built a number of graphite CB rods over the years and they're fine. I've just found that glass works better for cranks for me at least.

You're right ... personal preference every time no matter what rod it is.

I've built several graphite crankbait rods that the people were very pleased with. And I actually prefer it. To each his own.

A lot has to do with knowing that you have to "wait" a bit before you set the hook. That said ... a lot of folks set the hook with a crankbait like they do with a worm. They don't understand that all you have to do is tighten down a bit and pull back.

I'm a fan of the Phenix X-series blanks, I'd get an X-13 if you want it to be able to handle the heavier/bigger stuff and like a longer blank at 7'6" (just going off of your 7'4" comment above) or an X-11 if you want a shorter version (7'0"), or the X-14 mentioned above if you want to go 8 feet. The X-10/12 (same power, just 7'0" and 7'6" respectively) would be great for shallower running cranks, jerkbaits, and smaller topwaters and it's what I'd suggest if you were wanting something specific to the 1.5s. The X-11 and X-13 and 14 (again, same power, just buy based on length) will throw the squarebills fine though, and they're a lot more versatile for deeper diving stuff. I've not handled or fished the cheaper Phenix crankbait blanks that come as either red or blue finished rods (so I assume the blanks are the same colors), so can't comment there.

The Rod Geeks S-glass blanks are good too, just heavier than the Phenix blanks as willwork mentions. They're also a bit cheaper.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hair Jig View Post
    You're right ... personal preference every time no matter what rod it is.

I've built several graphite crankbait rods that the people were very pleased with. And I actually prefer it. To each his own.

A lot has to do with knowing that you have to "wait" a bit before you set the hook. That said ... a lot of folks set the hook with a crankbait like they do with a worm. They don't understand that all you have to do is tighten down a bit and pull back.
    That's probably why I prefer glass...I don't set the hook like a worm but in the past I was always a little quick on the trigger. I've actually improved my buzzbait hook ups significantly by not watching it on the retrieve, same idea.