Thread: Champion 181

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Champion 181

Anyone in the northeast Indiana area have a model 181?

2. Member
    Matherville Illinois

3. Member
    181 f/s, near Indy.

4. Member
    What do you need to know

5. Member
    I was curious as to your experiences with in and over all satisfaction. Also if you have had it on any larger lakes and how it handled them.

6. Member
    Wish mine was BIGGER!
    Other than that- runs like a champ.

Runs and rides good. Up front storage is fine, back storage is pretty much zero.

Tippy compared to bigger and wider boats, but you get used to it.

I have fished huge water and small water. Does the job on both fine.

8. Member
    I truly loved my 181 and miss it! It would ride much bigger than it was and would handle like your favorite sports car. This was a video I took of mine a few years back.

9. Member
    Man, that thing gets on plane FAST! I just got a 24 Fury to try out on my 2003 188 with 2.6 Yamaha Vmax HPDI. I am hoping that I can get a better hole shot, with just me and livewells full it is around 7-10 seconds, but top end is around 66. My current prop is a 25 Trophy Plus. I have tried jack plate adjustments and PVS changes with no luck.

10. Member
    My previous boat was a Ranger R71 so this one is a lot bigger. If I have a partner in the boat and the live wells filled there are times that I cannot get on plane. How far do you guys usually fill your live wells?

11. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Sounds like you need to experiment with more props. A Tempest Plus comes to mind, but I could be mistaken. 4 blade is great for rough water, but I have heard that the Tempest Plus or some other 3 blade props are better for getting on plane and top end.

I am old and easily confused, but your original post was talking about a 181, and now you say 188 in your post #9???

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deputy19 View Post
    I was curious as to your experiences with in and over all satisfaction. Also if you have had it on any larger lakes and how it handled them.
    I fished all over the place with my old 181SX. It handled Guntersville, KY Lake, Santee Cooper, and even Grand Lake in OK. The dang thing handled like it was on rails. A buddy of mine still owns it. The 97 ProV 150 Yamaha is still running with routine maintenance. The only downside to that hull is the rounded sides that allow it to handle so well make it "tippy" while fishing.

I have NEVER had any issues getting on plane or feeling like I was carrying too much of a load.

I run a 25 tempest at about 3 inches below pad.

14. Member
    Bought my 181 Elite new, has been an awesome boat, runs great, still looks like new, and gets compliments when on the boat ramp. Handles great in big water and can get in places the bigger boats can't. I did put new seats in it a few yeas ago and sent mine to a guy in California to restore his. It will be all you need

15. Member
    Really happy with mine, only real complaint is lack of storage in the rear but after all it is an 18 footer. Gets on plane insanely fast with a 150 evinrude Etec and 23 tempest plus 3.25” below pad 6” jp, top end is 61mph with a prop that needs to get reconditioned.

16. Member
    I have one and love it. First glass boat and it has fit the bill for me. Have had it on some bigger lakes like St Clair and Torch, Elk ,Charlevoix. Handles big water real well. Will probably upgrade to a larger boat sometime, but for now it's perfect.

17. Member
    Lea, I do have a 188, was considering selling it and getting a 181, that is why I am asking about them. I mainly fish NE Indiana lakes that are 600 acres or less, usually far less.

18. Member
    That was a 23 tempest plus worked by Mark Croxton out of Shelbyville Indiana. Mine would run 62-63mph.

Man, that thing gets on plane FAST! I just got a 24 Fury to try out on my 2003 188 with 2.6 Yamaha Vmax HPDI. I am hoping that I can get a better hole shot, with just me and livewells full it is around 7-10 seconds, but top end is around 66. My current prop is a 25 Trophy Plus. I have tried jack plate adjustments and PVS changes with no luck.

19. Member
    Have any of you ever had any problems with water coming in from other boats passing by? I see there is mention of them being “tippy”, is that to the point where you have to hang on to keep from falling overboard, or just the annoying rocking from boats passing by?

20. Member
    Nope. Champs sit nose up. You will get some rocking but no problems.

Have any of you ever had any problems with water coming in from other boats passing by? I see there is mention of them being “tippy”, is that to the point where you have to hang on to keep from falling overboard, or just the annoying rocking from boats passing by?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast