Thread: Z9 and Ultrex

Z9 and Ultrex

I am looking at switching over to an ultrex this spring on the Z9 but have heard you have to modify the recessed foot petal area? Is that true? What are you doing to modify?? Thanks!

2. Member
    That's the main reason I haven't made the switch either. My Z9 pedal well would have to be modified (widened), which means cutting and finding the correct size pedal box. I don't want the hassle, so I'm looking at Ulterra instead. Many of the guys with an Ulterra don't use the pedal, just the remote. If you want to use the pedal, it's very flat and can be placed almost anywhere. Good luck with yours.

I did not modify my foot tray I did make a new bow shroud out of a cutting board, in this I ran the cables under the cutting board and really like how it is finished out
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....ight=Ultrex+z8 one picture. If you private message me your phone number I will text you 4-6 more pictures of the build.

5. Member
    I ran into the same issue and didn’t want to cut my boat deck to make it fit. What I ended up doing is cutting a piece of rubber that was about 3/4” thick the size of the pedal and stuck it in the recess under the pedal. This allowed the cables to clear the front panel. I used it all year with no issues, besides the obvious of losing some of the recess. Mine did have a plug on it so I drilled a hole through the panel and wired it directly to the back of the plug. Probably not the most creative idea but it worked and I didn’t have to modify the boat much at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I did an Ultrex install for a customer with an Nitro a while back with a 20’ 2015 “I think”. Had to trim the bow panel, cut the boat to fit the Comfort troll Tray and then cut the new Comfort Troll tray.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

7. Member
    It was a 2015 Z9 and it turned out perfect in looks and fit

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mozingobasser View Post
    I am looking at switching over to an ultrex this spring on the Z9 but have heard you have to modify the recessed foot petal area? Is that true? What are you doing to modify?? Thanks!
    Over the course of the past few years, there have been several threads on this subject. Use the search function and you will find them. Some guys just flat refuse to cut the factory recess out while others, like me, took the dive. There is a group of us who sought the services of Fishon Fabrications and had custom trays made specific to the Z boats. The trays come powder coated. Dawson at Fishon has the original design. All you have to do is select your preferred depth. I cut my factory recess out and would do it again without hesitation. Aside from some fiberglass dust, the job was pretty simple. I have had mine for about two years and haven't had a single issue.

9. Member
    Do you have anymore detailed pictures you could share?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joec1801 View Post
    I ran into the same issue and didn’t want to cut my boat deck to make it fit. What I ended up doing is cutting a piece of rubber that was about 3/4” thick the size of the pedal and stuck it in the recess under the pedal. This allowed the cables to clear the front panel. I used it all year with no issues, besides the obvious of losing some of the recess. Mine did have a plug on it so I drilled a hole through the panel and wired it directly to the back of the plug. Probably not the most creative idea but it worked and I didn’t have to modify the boat much at all.
    Do you have anymore pictures you could share??

11. Member
    I know there are more threads out there, but here are three to start. Some pics may be gone due to tinypic or photobucket issues

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=939535&highlight=z7+tray

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=765934

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....hlight=z7+tray

12. Member
    Thanks for sharing!!!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mozingobasser View Post
    Do you have anymore detailed pictures you could share?
    Sorry, that’s the only one I had on my phone. My boat is in storage for the winter or I would take some for you.

14. Member
    Thanks everyone for the feedback and the pictures. It's much appreciated.

15. Member
    Fishon Fabrication can make you one. Put one on my Z9. Fits great, you do have to do some cutting but it’s not difficult.

Seem to remember the later model Z9s had a wider recessed foot pedal area that would "Fit" the ultrex pedal. The issues was the cables sticking out in front of the pedal.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Seem to remember the later model Z9s had a wider recessed foot pedal area that would "Fit" the ultrex pedal. The issues was the cables sticking out in front of the pedal.
    Only if pushed forward like mine above. But then the cables are the problem