Shopping for a Pontoon, advice needed

Hello Everyone,

My family has decided to get a pontoon to keep at our cottage. I've been looking at used ones in the 20 foot range with 40 to 90 HP 4 strokes (Honda, Yamaha, and Mercury). All are in the 2010 to 2016 model years. Most are at the $15K price point and all look to be in really nice condition and at dealers. They are at dealers within 100 miles of my cottage (Mid Michigan). I'll be using it to take the kids out tubing and cruising around the lake with the wife. I'll be fishing from my bass boat.
    The Brands I've found near me that are currently for sale are:

• Tahoe
    • Bennington
    • Harris
    • Manitou
    • Avalon
    • Crest

Do you guys have any issues with any of these brands (Pros and Cons) and what to look for to help me in my decision?

Thanks in advance ~ Lenny B

2. Member
    I love my Crest. I did research before I purchased it and determined that it was one of the top four being built.

3. Member
    I don't own a pontoon but I go out frequently with people in our campground who have them. We go for fireworks and to listen to music (Chautauqua has a floating stage with Saturday night bands).

2 of the couples have Bennington's and they are really nice. One is new and the other one is maybe 5 years old but they both look brand new.

The other couple have an older Harris and it is ok too. I fish docks all the time and I see a lot of Bennington's and they are really nice boats. There are many Bennington's with high HP engines. Many with 300's on them. I know of two Bennington's with twin 300's on the lake.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

4. Member
    You don't want a 20 foot pontoon with a 40 HP if you want to tow the kids, I'd go 90 at least. 20 foot pontoon with a 40 only does about 20 MPH or less.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    You don't want a 20 foot pontoon with a 40 HP if you want to tow the kids, I'd go 90 at least. 20 foot pontoon with a 40 only does about 20 MPH or less.
    Again, I don't own a toon, but I have been around them a lot. Of the 2 Bennington's I mentioned above, one has a 250 on it and the other has a 150. Both are decent length. The family with the 250 skis occasionally off their boat, the family with the 150 does not ski.

Chautauqua has plenty of toons on it. From what I see, most who ski have 250 or 300 HP engines on them. Some have twin 250 or 300's on them. So please do your research on what hp is needed for skiing on whatever brand you go with.

The days of putting a 40-60 HP engine on a toon to push you around at 20 miles per hour seem long gone.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chautauquanuy View Post
    Again, I don't own a toon, but I have been around them a lot. Of the 2 Bennington's I mentioned above, one has a 250 on it and the other has a 150. Both are decent length. The family with the 250 skis occasionally off their boat, the family with the 150 does not ski.

Chautauqua has plenty of toons on it. From what I see, most who ski have 250 or 300 HP engines on them. Some have twin 250 or 300's on them. So please do your research on what hp is needed for skiing on whatever brand you go with.

The days of putting a 40-60 HP engine on a toon to push you around at 20 miles per hour seem long gone.
    I don't know why you are telling me, I just read what he'd been looking at and commented. I do own a toon, but you'll still find plenty of 20 footers with 40 HP for sale new.
    https://www.loweboats.com/build-and-price/summary/

7. Member
    You can’t go wrong with any of those brands. I’d be more focused on getting as much HP as possible.
    2019 Ranger z521c (RGR17030E819)
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4 stroke V8 (2B531611)
    RangerTrail (7J5BBDK20KF164876)

8. Member
    I’ve got a 20’ southbay fishing model.. it has 25” logs on it Instead of the smaller ones. I have a f115 yamaha on it. Unloaded clean itll run 34 mph. With a usual load of gas and folks on it about 28 mph.. buy all the motor you can afford and if possible lifting strakes..

9. ourflat
    I purchased a Godfrey Sweetwater 22’ with a Merc 115 EFI 4 stroke a couple of years ago new. The price of used toons has dropped significantly around me. The cost of maintaining the outbd engine can be costly if you don’t do any maintenance yourself!

Frank

10. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    Keep in mind the bigger the motor the lower the back of the boat floats. Even with the bigger logs. When I bought my toon the dealer talked me out of buying the bigger hp motor. Said you won't like the way the boat sits in the water. Something to think about.

We bought a Bennington from a dealer in Jackson and been very happy with it .
    Ranger 619 * Honda 200* Minn Kota* Humminbird *Garmin
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

Body in North GA (Lake Lanier) - Heart in KS
    Stay away from Pontoons and get a Tritoon!
    2008 ChampioN 198 / 225 Opti ProXS! 1999 187 DC Elite / Merc 175 efi & 1989 184 DCR /Merc 175 xri

I’m in the market for a newer pontoon. I’ve been pricing them. The tri toons have larger motors than what I need and are priced over 20k more than a pontoon with smaller engine.

13. Member
    22 foot Bennington, 150 Yamaha no problem pulling skiers ONLY tritoon with 10 year FULL coverage on EVERYTHING that's gages everything Could't be better

Probably too late for the original post but I'll add my 2 cents
    I would agree with looking seriously at a tri rather than a standard pontoon. My has 25" logs and its very stable and runs smooth. I have a 22' Misty Harbor tritoon with a 140 Suziki 4 stroke. Its a 38mph boat, but get some adults and kids onboard and she drops to a 28mph boat. Pulls tube and kneeboards ok, but knowing what I know now I would have gone with a larger hp motor.

15. Member
    what did you get?
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyB View Post
    Hello Everyone,

My family has decided to get a pontoon to keep at our cottage. I've been looking at used ones in the 20 foot range with 40 to 90 HP 4 strokes (Honda, Yamaha, and Mercury). All are in the 2010 to 2016 model years. Most are at the $15K price point and all look to be in really nice condition and at dealers. They are at dealers within 100 miles of my cottage (Mid Michigan). I'll be using it to take the kids out tubing and cruising around the lake with the wife. I'll be fishing from my bass boat.
    The Brands I've found near me that are currently for sale are:

• Tahoe
    • Bennington
    • Harris
    • Manitou
    • Avalon
    • Crest

Do you guys have any issues with any of these brands (Pros and Cons) and what to look for to help me in my decision?

Thanks in advance ~ Lenny B