Thread: Longview Texas

Longview Texas

Anyone with comments on Longview living or any other east Texas community?
    Wife has decided East Texas is somewhere to retire to in order to be closer to Austin and family.
    I have lived in Austin and Dallas before being sent to Purgatory in Oklahoma.

Golf and Fishing are our two main activities.
    Hunting would be another for me.
    Good hospitals, medical care and dental are important considerations at this stage of our lives.

2. Member
    There’s one problem living in Longview...... choosing where to fish. So many choices and Great Lakes in every direction.
    Been here two years, love it!
    \" If you ain\'t first, you\'re last!\"

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by discloco View Post
    There’s one problem living in Longview...... choosing where to fish. So many choices and Great Lakes in every direction.
    Been here two years, love it!
    Nice problem. I have a map and a dart board
    Good to hear. I am glad you love it.
    We will head down there soon and try it out a little.
    Thanks
    Tom

4. Member
    Look at the Tyler area as well. South end plus Bullard & Whitehouse are great areas. Offers a little more than Longview as far as things to do and healthcare options.
    2014 920/SHO

Drove from Longview to Waco today along hwy 31, never realised how many lakes are along or near that road.

6. Bobby8
    Check taxes around Longview. Buddy says some ares are high. May end up that way myself in 2 years when I retire.

7. Member
    Longview is t bad at all. Focus on living on the north side of Longview. Anywhere north Longview, New Diana, hallsville area. Golf is good. There are 3 courses inside Longview and multiple around the area. Tempest is by far the best course open to public! Hit me up and we can go slap them around.

Fishing is fantastic!!! You’ll be 20-30min from 2 power plant lakes. Pines is a great fishery and can be there in 20min. Then you have multiple small lakes. Sandlin, Gilmer, Cypress, Cassi “not small” and of course fork is right down the road.

Longview isn’t a bad place at all. If you want nicer small eatery’s you’d need to travel to Tyler imo, and there is an Edwin Watts there. We have some good small tackle shops also. Hit me up if you want to get on the water or get in 18. Can show you some small choose ups for golf also. All in fun and great guys.

8. Member
    You'll like Longview. As stated stick to the North side of town. I'm in New Diana, one of the better schools in the area, 10-15 mins North of Longview. I'm smack between Lake O' The Pines and Gilmer Lake. Lake Fork is about an hour. Multiple hot water power plant lakes nearby.

Medical is booming in Longview's North side, new facilities everywhere. Skeeter boats are made over in Kilgore, 20 mins away.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Statton48 View Post
    Longview is t bad at all. Focus on living on the north side of Longview. Anywhere north Longview, New Diana, hallsville area. Golf is good. There are 3 courses inside Longview and multiple around the area. Tempest is by far the best course open to public! Hit me up and we can go slap them around.

Fishing is fantastic!!! You’ll be 20-30min from 2 power plant lakes. Pines is a great fishery and can be there in 20min. Then you have multiple small lakes. Sandlin, Gilmer, Cypress, Cassi “not small” and of course fork is right down the road.

Longview isn’t a bad place at all. If you want nicer small eatery’s you’d need to travel to Tyler imo, and there is an Edwin Watts there. We have some good small tackle shops also. Hit me up if you want to get on the water or get in 18. Can show you some small choose ups for golf also. All in fun and great guys.
    Thanks. Good info. I will definitely be in the neighborhood this spring to bump around, fish and golf.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tanner101 View Post
    You'll like Longview. As stated stick to the North side of town. I'm in New Diana, one of the better schools in the area, 10-15 mins North of Longview. I'm smack between Lake O' The Pines and Gilmer Lake. Lake Fork is about an hour. Multiple hot water power plant lakes nearby.

Medical is booming in Longview's North side, new facilities everywhere. Skeeter boats are made over in Kilgore, 20 mins away.
    Thanks for the info. Schools are important as I have a 14 year old grandson/fishing buddy living with us. Good to hear the medical is improving. And best of all in thr middle of some great fishing besides the obvious travel l destinations.
    I am looking forward to becoming a Monday-Friday fisherman! Golf on weekends for a break!

11. Member
    We built our retirement home near Sam Rayburn out of Huntington. 20 miles to Lufkin. My wife and I both love it there. Small town feel but everything you need.

I grew up in that area and attended schools in Longview, Tatum, Mineola and Carthage. After HS and military we lived in Longview for a few years. Longview is a great town, lots of good fishing, deer hunting and hog hunting. We will move back to the area one day, but it won't be "in" Longview. There's tons of great little towns and communities within 20 min of Longview that have mush better schools than Longview HS. Or get in White Oak ISD or on the very north end of Longview in Spring Hill ISD. My son went to Pine Tree for a couple years and we really like the district.

I have family that have kids in Longview HS and they say its a train wreck.
    Last edited by dcmclassic; 01-17-2020 at 11:50 PM.
    Currently boatless but will always drive a Bass Cat

13. Member
    I Live in Kilgore Small college town 14000 people Longview is pushing 80 to 90000 people now and a lot of their schools are going to charter school so you never can tell what will be taught. There are 3 different school systems with in Longview with Spring Hill and Pine-tree being the better ones. Tyler is bigger than Longview and traffic is bad in Tyler. I will second about staying to the north side of Longview everything is growing that way.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcmclassic View Post
    I grew up in that area and attended schools in Longview, Tatum, Mineola and Carthage. After HS and military we lived in Longview for a few years. Longview is a great town, lots of good fishing, deer hunting and hog hunting. We will move back to the area one day, but it won't be "in" Longview. There's tons of great little towns and communities within 20 min of Longview that have mush better schools than Longview HS. Or get in White Oak ISD or on the very north end of Longview in Spring Hill ISD. My son went to Pine Tree for a couple years and we really like the district.

I have family that have kids in Longview HS and they say its a train wreck.
    Thanks for the info. Schools are important for us as we are responsible for Dylan’s future. Some schools in East Texas are not well rated 2/10 etc. Best I have seen in the area is a 6/10.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmer Swan View Post
    I Live in Kilgore Small college town 14000 people Longview is pushing 80 to 90000 people now and a lot of their schools are going to charter school so you never can tell what will be taught. There are 3 different school systems with in Longview with Spring Hill and Pine-tree being the better ones. Tyler is bigger than Longview and traffic is bad in Tyler. I will second about staying to the north side of Longview everything is growing that way.
    Thanks. Good info and I appreciate your sharing it with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearetta View Post
    Thanks for the info. Schools are important for us as we are responsible for Dylan’s future. Some schools in East Texas are not well rated 2/10 etc. Best I have seen in the area is a 6/10.
    Tatum, Beckville and Hallsville are really good schools also. Beckville would be the furthest from Longview with about a 30 minute drive. New Diana is a good school too, or at least used to be. We travel to Beckville a lot as we have good friends there.

Northeast and east side of Longview is mostly Pine Tree, White Oak a little further East, far north Longview will be Spring Hill. Too far down Hwy 42 you'll be in Kilgore ISD. House shopping in Longview and you'll be able to see what's where. Hallsville ISD I believe actually creeps into Longview a little bit- most expensive, then Spring Hill, White Oak, Pine Tree then Longview ISD.

We were really close to buying a house when we lived in Longview so we researched school lines hard, I got transferred to Odessa in the middle of our house hunting. If you are going to IN Longview, be north of Hwy 80. Lol

17. Member
    Honestly, you're pretty good on schools in any area district as long as you avoid Longview ISD. Hallsville is a small town, but the district is HUGE. You can get housing along the east loop of longview and be in Hallsville ISD, but it will be a further drive to the campus. Gilmer is another good school with big time football success that hasn't been mentioned. Are you wanting to stay within town or are you interested in the smaller suburbs? In town, tell your realtor you're open to Hallsville, Pine Tree, Spring Hill ISD's. For the suburbs, there's a ton of great schools within 20 mins of city limits.

I have a niece and nephews that go to Gilmer, my brother and his wife seem please but the kids aren't to HS yet. Forgot about Gilmer. Gladewater used to be good but I don't know anymore. When I was a kid they had the nicest stadium in east TX.