Heads Up! Tire was cambering in at the top.

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Sorry for your bad luck! Let us now how the repair goes.

3. Member
    It wasn't the bearings. It was the axle breaking giving right at the edge of the springs. It literally broke at the u-bolt at the leaf spring. If you have a round axle I would strongly consider switching to square axles if you can afford it as apparently they are stronger. According to the repair shop, this is the way to go. In any case, I think the cause was a sharp blow to the wheel a few months ago. If you suddenly see one cambering, stop and desist. Pull over and call a tow. Also note that my trailer doesn't have a lot of rust. The axle was in excellent condition.

20200115_220408.jpg

20200113_220518.jpg

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    Sorry for your bad luck! Let us now how the repair goes.
    Thank you. It takes 4 to 6 weeks to get new axles made. They are all different hence you have to have them made. Hopefully just in time for spring fishing. �� Pray that insurance will pay for this. It would be good if they did.

5. Member
    I bought my Champ and trailer used, it had new tires but I'm the 3rd owner. After one year I noticed the right/rear tire and the front left tire were wearing weird. After replacing them with higher load rated tires I did all the measurements and found that the left front axle was 1/4" forward. Instead of re-welding the bracket, I just oval-ed the hole and moved the suspension back 1/4". Moral of the story, check all your trailer measurements if you're having tire issues. and, every now and then you should look under your trailer for loose bolts, tire wear, bunk boards etc. Good luck to you on the repairs.

6. Member
    Farging incredible. Looks like the"U bolt (although round) cut the round tube. As a non metallurgist, I'd say the axle was not tightly bolted down, and it fretted against the rounded bolt on top until the top of the axle wore away, then the tube collapsed. Weird.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Farging incredible. Looks like the"U bolt (although round) cut the round tube. As a non metallurgist, I'd say the axle was not tightly bolted down, and it fretted against the rounded bolt on top until the top of the axle wore away, then the tube collapsed. Weird.
    Possible. I just hope insurance will cover it. I hit a massive pothole a few months ago and I think that is what did it. But we will see. I am having the other one replaced also. They have to be custom made as no two axles are the same apparently.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Star Cajun View Post
    I bought my Champ and trailer used, it had new tires but I'm the 3rd owner. After one year I noticed the right/rear tire and the front left tire were wearing weird. After replacing them with higher load rated tires I did all the measurements and found that the left front axle was 1/4" forward. Instead of re-welding the bracket, I just oval-ed the hole and moved the suspension back 1/4". Moral of the story, check all your trailer measurements if you're having tire issues. and, every now and then you should look under your trailer for loose bolts, tire wear, bunk boards etc. Good luck to you on the repairs.
    I purchased a 1992 Champion brand new in, you guessed it, 1992. Sold it in 2017 to purchase this one. In the 25 years I owned it, I did the brakes, actuator, and bearings once and never had a problem. This one is a 2009 and the axle breaks on me. Only 10 years old and I just did all the brakes and the lines and the actuator too in 2017.

9. Member
    Thanks for sharing. I will make sure to inspect my trailer parts more closely and will make it part of my routine!