Grass in Lake Murray

I haven't fished much there in years and was told there was some Eelgrass in the lake. I've been down a few times and found any yet. Does anyone know if there is any left? Im just knocking around playing some this winter and thought I would try my luck. Thanks

Benny Rigney

2. Member
    There was some around Wessinger Island last year but it's gone. Haven't seen any eelgrass this year.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 Alive View Post
    There was some around Wessinger Island last year but it's gone. Haven't seen any eelgrass this year.
    Thanks for replying. I haven't seen any in the few times i've been there this winter. Not many bass either.

Benny Rigney

4. Member
    I'm not exactly sure what kind of grass it is, but from Dreher island down lake, there is a grass growing on the bottom from 3ft all the way out to 10ft or more. That's one of the reasons why lake was 10ft down last winter, trying to kill this stuff. Didn't work! Makes fishing a crankbait near impossible, or even a shakey head. Anything bottom related you will come in with a ball of this stuff on your bait. Oh the bass are still there, just hard to fish.

My cove in Buffalo creek had grass growing 4 feet to just inches below the surface all summer. Then about late August, a herd of grass carp came in and cleaned it ALL out in one weekend. I just cant believe how fast they can wipe it out. The grass looked like eelgrass to me, but i am not great at identifying what types. I agree its all over the bottom, it does make it tough to CB fish. I havent been catching a ton of bass on murray in last few months either.
    2022 Blazer 675 Ultimate
    2022 Merc 300 Pro XS
    2017 YZ250F
    Kenny Hollingsworth<<<<<<<<<MY NAME!
    828 674 6752
    Hendersonville NC<<<<MY LOCATION!!

6. Member
    I was there last week and can attest to the grass being everywhere, no eelgrass though. Spent a lot of time cleaning grass off a crankbait before I gave up and started searching for holes in the grass with a jig, only caught 4.

Water temp was 62, another guy at the ramp said he caught two over 4 and a bunch of 2lbers in 6-4 ft of water