Moisture Meter - do they work?

Has anyone used one before? I would like to get my hands on one to check my hull and not sure what I should look for.. Any tips?

2. Member
    I use one in woodworking. With mine, you have to stab two hardened pins into the wood that your checking - not sure how that would work with FG encapsulated wood members. Mine is also calibrated by species, and marine ply isn't on the list!

I've seen one used by laying it on the surface in videos but not sure where to get one or how they work? I'm just curious with my hull hitting 20 years this year
    what kind of shape it may be in. Do I want to find an issue? No. But I don't want to find anything the hard way either.

4. Member
    Does Champion still use wood in their boats? Don't mean to sound crazy for asking but I have never, been in or owned a Champion before.

If you're concerned about your transom, one tip I learned on here a few years ago (not sure how accurate) was to touch one end of an ohm meter to each SS hold downs on the transom and if you had a reading. it meant water/moisture. I got a reading and I did have water in my wood core, not sure if it was completely dry, I wouldn't get a reading or not. I know a couple of boat surveyors and they have told me they check for moisture but they do some big saltwater boats. You can check for water by drilling a small (1/8" or so) hole on the inside skin of your transom or stringers/braces (just the skin) and see if water comes out (mine did at a few locations). Don't forget to seal up the test holes when finished.

8. Member
    Yes they work, i own a Insurance restoration company and we use them on all water losses to show us how far the moisture has traveled so we can determine what we should do .

You would want to use a non penetrating moisture meter and first determine what your dry standard is (Part of the boat your not concerned with being wet) Then compare that reading to what you have on your concerned areas. I would suggest going to any company who handles floods and water losses in your area and ask them if they could check it for you. Heck if anyone came to my office and asked i wouldn't charge for it it would take seconds to do this.

9. Member
    Yes they work and on any surface. Yes they are accurate