License plate holder.

Need options for license plate holder that wont break. I went to put my new registration sticker on and realized plate was nowhere to be found and part of the bracket broke with it. I know this may have been discussed here before, but when I searched the only solution anybody hd was to attach something to the trailer with screws. I don't really want to drill into the coated metal of the trailer and introduce a new place for rust to easily form. Has anyone found a good solution for the Nitro trailers?
    2019 Nitro Z-18 DC
    Mercury 150 Pro-XS 4-Stroke 23 Fury

2. Member
    I used a two key ring loops instead of bolts on a utility trailer and worked great. Let's plate swivel instead break off when you scrape. For added measure I added zip ties as well.

3. Member
    I replaced the plastic bracket with a metal one from Bass Pro. I think it was 10-12dollars.

4. Member
    I put my plate and bracket on a piece of mining belt so it moves when i put the trailer in the water. Had it there for 20 yrs and no problem. Only thing that bent it was when i hit a deer and it rolled under the trailer and i run it over. Now that did bend it but still works.

I used a stainless steel piano hinge.

There are many options that work. Securing so that it will not move is usually the wrong answer with today's cheap plates. You actually want them to pivot! As mentioned, you can buy a stainless piano hinge. I bought an 18-wheeler thick mud flap on one of my trips. I cut out a piece of it, attached the LP and then attached it to the trailer light through-bolts. Worked like a charm for many years that way. The whole it idea is to allow it to move or flex as the trailer goes into and out of the water.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

7. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by prostar View Post
    I used a two key ring loops instead of bolts on a utility trailer and worked great. Let's plate swivel instead break off when you scrape. For added measure I added zip ties as well.
    After trying a couple options (and losing one plate), I did this, as well... No problems since.

The BPS metal brackets will eventually fatigue and break... Luckily, I caught it just prior.
    Who controls John Gill?

8. Member
    plastic cable ties

9. Member
    I purchased one of these and it is a beast:
    http://www.socal-fishing-hunting.com...ET-HINGED.html

Also, the original license plate light would not fit the new bracket so I purchase a new one on Amazon for cheap.

Did you know all the lights on new Nitro trailers are LED except for the license plate light? That seemed odd to me. Oh well... all mine are LED now.
    Last edited by C0MRAD; 01-21-2020 at 06:46 PM. Reason: spelling is hard
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

10. Member
    I used two pieces of stranded wire, and crimp connectors!

11. Member
    I would suggest trying the route that I went. I connected mine with zip ties around the main support tube across the back of the trailer. I routed the zip ties through the upper hole and then back behind the support and into the lower hole from behind and then up to the top hole. This way it doesn't hang down at all and is flush against the horizontal tube, so no dangling or moving. I would send a picture but it is in storage (darn MN winters). I was having mine break off on my very steep driveway backing up.

Quote Originally Posted by C0MRAD View Post
    I purchased one of these and it is a beast:
    http://www.socal-fishing-hunting.com...ET-HINGED.html

Also, the original license plate light would not fit the new bracket so I purchase a new one on Amazon for cheap.

Did you know all the lights on new Nitro trailers are LED except for the license plate light? That seemed odd to me. Oh well... all mine are LED now.
    I like that.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

I was fishing one day when a boater came up to me and handed me my license plate. Lol
    It fell off in the parking lot. I work in sheetmetal so I just made a new holder.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

14. Dogfish_Jones
    I guess living in Alabama has an advantage on this. We here do not need tags for our boat trailers.