Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    dartag1829

USA John Cox on BTL today

Anyone catch him on there today. What a schedule he has planned. Fishing the Elites and FLW Series. I think he said he will have 135k in entry fees and expenses before he cashes a check. Going to be interesting to follow his progress.

2. Member
    Pretty stout expenses.

Read an interview with Hackney several years ago, his breakeven point before he started making money was about $90,000.

3. dartag1829
    I am sure he has sponsor money softening it a little but that is a lot. Kind of like Brandon and Gerald being 90k plus expenses in the hole before making a cast.

With how consistent he is I doubt he will have trouble recuperating his money.

5. Banned
    Do people really buy into the whole going in debt to fish BS? Sure some younger pros and those who went mlflw may lose some $$. I’d be surprised if Cox has $20 grand in it now.

6. Member
    If they get, let’s say, $50,000 or $100,000 in sponsorship to defray or pay all entry fees, it should count as taxable income.

Now true, they can write off expenses and probably cancel out a big chunk of that, but they still need to figure in social security/ retirement, health insurance, mortgage payments, and everyday expenses of life without a guaranteed income.

Its why Rick Clunn basically stated that he knew when he became a professional angler he’d likely never retire, he’d have to fish the majority of his life. Most people don’t know that to pay expenses to fish one of the Classics he had to sell his hunting rifle for gas money.

There are guys fishing the Elites right now who in many cases can’t cover a lot of water because they don’t have the gas money. There are BASS guys in the past who had to get a check at an event just to have gas money to get to the next one. Really tough way to make a living, the guys who are successful at it have my respect.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude196 View Post
    Do people really buy into the whole going in debt to fish BS? Sure some younger pros and those who went mlflw may lose some $$.
    As usual, you’re clueless. Yes, there are guys making a good living at it. There are also a fair number of Elite guys who sweat getting a check because they’re juggling bills to avoid bankruptcy.

Other than taking your obligatory swipe at MLF. what’s the purpose of bringing them up?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by c rig View Post
    As usual, you’re clueless. Yes, there are guys making a good living at it. There are also a fair number of Elite guys who sweat getting a check because they’re juggling bills to avoid bankruptcy.

Other than taking your obligatory swipe at MLF. what’s the purpose of bringing them up?
    There is truth in this.

9. Banned
    All I know is when I watch these you tube videos of these guys houses....they ain’t hurting. Seems like everyone i see is living better than I am if I worked two lifetimes.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    All I know is when I watch these you tube videos of these guys houses....they ain’t hurting. Seems like everyone i see is living better than I am if I worked two lifetimes.
    Same with some of the Youtube crowd. Some of the houses / farms / shops etc is wild.

11. Banned
    Yeah, crig is clueless or a “pro” who just can’t cut it.

12. Member
    I laugh at my "dream" of fishing for a living. Every time I pull up their earnings through tournaments, I realize I make a much better living. Some of the top guys are making a great living on sponsor money, but that is limited to maybe 20-50 guys worldwide... This is not like the NBA guys saying I should get 10M per year vs 9.5M. Just enjoy watching them and learning.

13. Member
    i had same thought.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude196 View Post
    Do people really buy into the whole going in debt to fish BS? Sure some younger pros and those who went mlflw may lose some $$. I’d be surprised if Cox has $20 grand in it now.
    I fished the BFL on the St.Johns this past weekend as a boater. I drew a co angler who will be a rookie on the FLW tour next year said FLW called him because they were short co anglers and knew he was in the state. Long story short he will be using all his savings to compete on tour next year and hopefully will break even so he can do it again next year. Most are going broke very few are profitable.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marlon crowder View Post
    I fished the BFL on the St.Johns this past weekend as a boater. I drew a co angler who will be a rookie on the FLW tour next year said FLW called him because they were short co anglers and knew he was in the state. Long story short he will be using all his savings to compete on tour next year and hopefully will break even so he can do it again next year. Most are going broke very few are profitable.
    Fools and their money. If it was as tough as everyone claims, professional fishing wouldn’t exist!

16. Shutterbug Forum Moderator bdog7198's Avatar
    Seeing the homes of some of the biggest stars means nothing in regards to the rest of them. They dont share hotel rooms for the fun of it, some trying to make it live out of their truck.
    Prints and more available at: http://BSPhotography.co/
    Digital downloads available at: https://licensing.pixels.com/profiles/1-brian-shoemaker
    IG: BSPhotographyZ9

17. Member
    They are all free to get a different job that will give a steady, weekly check.

None of these pro fishermen that are posting on Facebook are doing it from mobile homes. Look at some of the places these guys live and tell me they aren’t making money. I don’t think I’ve ever seen any of them post from a house that looks like a normal home.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    None of these pro fishermen that are posting on Facebook are doing it from mobile homes. Look at some of the places these guys live and tell me they aren’t making money. I don’t think I’ve ever seen any of them post from a house that looks like a normal home.
    Cox did a tour of his house, I thought it was pretty blue collar.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    You gonna upset fanboys. Guess I never really considered it realistic to actually lose $$ chasing $$. I’d call those truck sleepers gamblers instead of fishermen. Come to think of it, the Elites did get a gambler this year. That kid can catch them though.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast