Phenix "New" M1 Series - Any info?

Those who've seen me post know that I am an unapologetic Phenix rods fanboy. I'm a huge fan of the Feather and X-composite series. So of course when I see a "new" series of M1 rods start showing up at retailers, I'm curious. Phenix's website is currently down for a refresh, so no info there. Anybody have any info on this new M1 series? Specifically interested in actions, how they compare to the Feathers, and whether these blanks will be available to rod builders.

I have some contacts at different tackle distributors I've asked about these, but haven't heard much yet.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

2. Member
    probably not the info your looking for as far as blank availability and materials go, but i think they are posted on tackle warehouse currently. definitely changed the rod handles on the new models

They're Purple
    Have no butt cap, rather a flared and rounded carbon weave from the blank.
    I think there was some minor changes to the blank ingredients
    0G886873 Mercury Serial Number
    2000 Bass Cat Pantera III with 200 Merc

Assuming these are your photos, it looks like you have one? What are your thoughts? Have you fished a Feather to compare?
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

5. Member
    Drew I saw those rods on TW today and they do look nice. I noticed the 7’2”h has an extra fast taper. I know there is no standard among manufacturers. With a 7’2”h I would usually use this rod with braid for pitching jigs and plastics with the occasional frog duties. Personally I like a fast action at best with braid. What are your thoughts? I don’t own any Phenix rods so I’m not sure how they rate.

Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    Drew I saw those rods on TW today and they do look nice. I noticed the 7’2”h has an extra fast taper. I know there is no standard among manufacturers. With a 7’2”h I would usually use this rod with braid for pitching jigs and plastics with the occasional frog duties. Personally I like a fast action at best with braid. What are your thoughts? I don’t own any Phenix rods so I’m not sure how they rate.
    I've got a lot of thoughts on rod actions...

I think there's a huge disconnect when it comes to mod-fast vs. extra fast - what some companies call extra fast, others might call mod-fast - even while most companies will agree on what "fast" means. If you look at deflection charts, all else equal, it's easy to argue that "extra fast" should really be a broomstick where only the tip bends, it only bends a little bit, then the rest is backbone. Some companies treat them that way. It's also easy to argue that the deflection charts depict a rod where the tip bends very easily then the backbone does not. So I don't even know what the "right" answer is, but I do think the latter thing is what I think *most* people think of when they think of extra fast. They mean the same thing they mean when they say, "it has some tip," or they refer to a "soft" or "fast" tip.

In any case, assuming the tapers are like the other rods in Phenix's lineup, it's that second option. They have a soft tip like most guys prefer for most techniques. It's a great action to skip and otherwise make accurate casts with and even allow you to fish moving baits (I've fished everything except cranks on my Feathers), but they're also super sensitive. Also assuming that the power ratings are consistent with Phenix's other rods (basically rated a level heavier than others), a heavy model may be a bit underpowered for all-around frogging duty though I think it would be fine if you have a more stout rod for the heavy cover stuff. I suspect it will make an outstanding jig and plastic rod. My every day frog rod is the Feather 7'3" XH (which also is rated as extra-fast). It's got the perfect tip to walk a frog with enough ass to get them out, and would make a fine flipping and pitching stick for baits down to 3/8. I even throw 110 and 130 Ploppers and bigger Spooks on it. This is all with braid. I have a medium heavy Feather (compare to other companies' medium power) that I fish small swimbaits and lighter Texas rigs (3/16 - 3/8, occasionally 1/2) on as well as smaller topwaters like Pop-Rs, smaller Spooks, and smaller Ploppers, also with braid (though I do add a fluoro leader unless fishing topwaters).

I realize this sort of morphed into a conversation about the Feathers, but I'm anticipating those being the most comparable to the new M1 series. I'm honestly a little puzzled as to why they'd choose to re-release the M1 at all as the lengths, actions, and price point all seem to overlap with the Feathers. That's mostly why I was asking about them. Well that and even though I love the Feather series, they're a couple years old at this point so it wouldn't be a shock if even better rods start coming at that price point.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

7. Member
    Not to divert the original topic even more, but I find it interesting that you use that XH Phenix for big spooks. I can see the 110 and 130 ploppers as they have a heavy gauge hook to them. I also throw my 110s and 130s on a heavier rod that I’d use for frogs in slop. My walking bait rod (which I also use for traps in grass) is a Cabelas ZX cranking rod. It’s listed as a 7’ medium moderate, though has a lure rating up to 1oz. It really does feel like a true MH moderate. This is by far the best spook rod I have found. Wish I would’ve bought a handful of them, because they disappeared after the BPS buyout.

It's partially because I have straight braid on the rod anyhow, but the tip really does have enough give that it's not too bad with trebles. Not saying it's the best rod for the task, but for the amount I throw that stuff it works well. Plus, I can absolutely BOMB baits with that thing. Realistically I don't even throw big Spooks that much, I've tended toward the pencil popper style more lately (Evergreen Shower Blows, Berkley Cane Walker, etc). Basically the same, but maybe worth mentioning. I suppose I have thrown the large size Teckel Kicknocker on it as well ("new" old Repo Man Late Payment / RI Vixen from the same mold).
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by webertime View Post
    They're Purple
    Have no butt cap, rather a flared and rounded carbon weave from the blank.
    I think there was some minor changes to the blank ingredients
    36 Ton graphite. Also a cork grip. Have no idea what previous gen was. 36 Ton is the Recon blank material. I have 2 older 7'2" HEF M1s which are great and just this week held the new M1 in my hand. Like the old feel better.

I actually really did not check the new M1's action. IMO they old 7'2" HEF M1 is the most versatile rod I have ever used. Maybe not the most sensitive(pretty sensitive) but I believe one can throw just almost anything on it fairly well. Rod handles a 1oz Carolina sinker great, big or small jig, and I believe would do a good job fishing a 110 size jerkbait and is a super topwater rod. Not to mention a spinner bait. The rod is strange as it handles other brands medium and medium heavy size lures and has no problem with a 1 oz lure.

I've not fished a Feather, but I like the Recon very much also.
    Last edited by RFSims; 01-15-2020 at 10:08 PM.

Funny! I received a response from someone at Phenix last night that fits right with RFSims is saying, at least on the new materials. Really good insight on feel relative to the old series, I think that helps me a ton.

Here's what I got from Phenix:

Hello Andrew, so the new M1 bass rods features a vortex solid one piece blank vs the old M1's. Which makes it much more lighter, stronger, and more sensitive than before. It utilizes 36 ton Toray Carbon fiber, and the Feather uses 36 and 40 ton carbon fiber.
    Doesn't tell a whole lot, but that's what I got. From what I know about carbon fiber "ton" ratings (which admittedly isn't a whole lot), comparing apples to apples (which we may not be doing), the 40 ton should be stiffer than the 36 ton which would mean less of it could be used to obtain a given strength, but it will also be more brittle. Based only on that, I would take it as a Feather will be lighter, more sensitive, and more prone to breaking. That said, I think with the quality of today's carbon fiber, it's all in the construction process and resin anyhow.

I think the Feathers feel substantially better than the old M1s and the Recon series, at least for what I like in a rod.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"