New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

is an Ultrex a brushless motor?

I was haing this discussion about the new motors and mentioned brushless motor and a fiend said Ultrex is brushless I did not think so. who is right???
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

2. Member
    Last edited by 6BOOMER; 01-14-2020 at 01:50 PM.

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    No, it is not.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    The Ultrex is good but it is old technology, the new brushless motors are just coming on the scene. I am sure future version of the Ultrex will tend towards brushless or the Ultrex will go away like the MG Tour did a few years back...

That is the reason for the $1000 difference in price with the others - brush vs brushless

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorShine View Post
    That is the reason for the $1000 difference in price with the others - brush vs brushless

$1k huh, that’s interesting. Are you comparing equivalent models?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STRETCH1 View Post
    The Ultrex is good but it is old technology, the new brushless motors are just coming on the scene. I am sure future version of the Ultrex will tend towards brushless or the Ultrex will go away like the MG Tour did a few years back...
    Just a little info on why Motor Guide did away with Tour edition motor. They came out with the X3/X5 model. That was a very bad move. They are even further behind. (Motor Guide that is). They still have brushes. Although it is more efficient Motor Guide and Minn Kota have not introduced brushless motors yet. I am sure it is in the works.
    I don't know where you getting your info, but with the intro of Garmin and Lowrance TM it does present a new standard to the market, but as far as Ultrex being old technology, I would put my money on Ultrex until I have seen what Lowrance and Garmin will do. So far I have not heard of any issues with them. We will see.