Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Another possible transplant

I'd like to ask a question, if I may? I am recently retired, and have family in the Palatka area who have been wanting my wife and I to come down for years now. I have sold and wheeled Budweiser for the past 30 years,and my body is just about worn out. I quit tournament fishing about 10 years ago, due to being cursed with rheumatoid Arthur. Even though fishing is my #1 passion, I have also been plagued with living in the worst area of the U.S. for an angler to retain his sanity.I am in fact a genuine WV hillbilly. I' not looking to keep the roads hot and fight with the idiots. I have a fairly big house and 4 acres. I've spent the last 30 years keeping it up and selling/delivering Budweiser 50+ hrs/wk., and I'm done with it. My lifelong dream is to own a piece of waterfront property with a dock. I just want to get up, jump in the boat and fish when I want, LITTLE house, BIG garage is what I want.I have considered places in Al., N.C.,S.C., Ga., and Fla. I could probably ramble on forever. Just wanted some opinions on the livability, and congestion issues between Palatka and Lake George along 17 and 19. I seriously would not be intruding on your gridlocked bass mecca if I didn't have relatives in the area. I just wanna fish, and make a friend or three.

2. Member
    Come on down. Feel free to give me a call at night for some advice. I am retired Navy and now a real estate agent in Jacksonville. 904-521-2705.

3. Member
    Thanks! May take you up on that. Looking for a little feedback on my area of interest.

4. Member
    I am one of those old,old time Floridians and I say come on down enjoy yourself and make yourself at home. You may not have to fight with idiots but you will certainly have some thoughts about the idiots from in state and from out of state. It is the nature of the beast in Florida these days. Hope you enjoy the fishing, just don't get in the way or they will run you over, pull their boats right on top of your fishing spot and curse you for being there first.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion922 View Post
    Come on down. Feel free to give me a call at night for some advice. I am retired Navy and now a real estate agent in Jacksonville. 904-521-2705.
    Your fellow Floridians really help you out on here don't they?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcyoung517 View Post
    Your fellow Floridians really help you out on here don't they?
    He doesn't need any help at all. https://www-news965-com.cdn.ampproje...vu3l6aqR36O%2F

7. Member
    I read the story, And I didnt see anywhere where they said to stay away.

8. Banned
    I would be a hypocrite if I said don't come here. I made a nice living because yankees relocated here. I'll just say Fla ain't what it used to be and leave it at that. I just moved away from SW Fla, (which is a zoo) towards the middle of the state and it's better, but I would have much rather moved out of state but we didn't want to be too far from the kids & grandkids. This area will be just as over-run as the rest of Fla in the next 5-10 years. It's already happening.

9. Member
    Guys, there is hardly anywhere that is " what it used to be " That's life! Enjoy what you have and stop being so bitter
    Last edited by jcyoung517; 01-15-2020 at 11:25 AM.

10. Member
    Just looking for a little feedback on Putnam county area as a place to live from a few knowledgeable folks in the friendly bass'in community. I knew better than to ask on facebook etc. I didn't have time to visit BBC much in my working years. I understand that this is a pretty tight knit community, and I probably don't need any help. I've been retired a little over 2 months now, and haven't been out much. Just getting a little restless and bored. I truly appreciate the hospitality of the ones who responded. Didn't mean to disturb the nest. Sincerely, Adrian Hoffman (McBullet)

11. Member
    Find Becky Williams on Facebook she has a lot of listings in that area, consider Welaka or Georgetown and you find plenty of hillbilly transplants...guaranteed.

12. Member

Zillow is your friend. Use the map feature. There are tons of waterfront for sale but many are steep. Canal front is usually much cheaper. There are gobs of small lakes that are fishable that the prices aren't too bad.

14. Banned
    Didn't mean to disturb the nest. Sincerely, Adrian Hoffman (McBullet)

You NEED a working knowledge of Rule #2) What someone thinks about You is none of Your business...

Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    Didn't mean to disturb the nest. Sincerely, Adrian Hoffman (McBullet)

You NEED a working knowledge of Rule #2) What someone thinks about You is none of Your business...

16. Member
    Mcbullet palatka is a nice quiet area and is growing but at a much slower pace than the rest of Florida. Ocala is also a close area that has some cheaper areas on lakes that isn’t too crazy. Anything along either coast is congested now or will be as said in the next 5-10 years. There’s a realtor, Becky Williams that could get you into what you are looking for on the St Johns. I am Floridian born and raised and probably will never leave, as said above you’ll run into some idiots that are from here and not from here, that’s fishing on Florida’s waterways now. If in fact you do have a bullet, you’ll fit in just fine around palatka! Good luck!

17. Banned
    And watch out for the HOA's.....LOL

18. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Hillbilly who delivered Budweiser?? We'll make an exception! Welcome to Fl!!

19. Banned
    Everybody from up north wants to buy a piece of property on the water down here. Its to the point that local salaries cant keep up with the cash from people moving here from out of state. A house up north sells for big money and the home owner says lets go to Florida and buy a spot on the water. Your thinking is just like the THOUSND others that have consumed up a large portion of water front property.... to the point where a person born and raised here cant afford it. We are wayyyyyyyyy over crowded on the river, lakes and land. My dads neighbor sold their house up north for 800 plus then took the cash and bought two houses here..... with cash. That defiantly didn't help the local guy working at UPS or police dept. Orion922 didn't grow up here and has nooooooo idea how it used to be. He must like crowds, traffic, fly by night subdivisions with over loaded sewage plants dumping fecal matter into the river. Its just mighty frustrating to see how forest have been completely wiped out by builders like in St Johns County to only be replaced by concrete. Affordable lake fronts or river places are a thing of the past. As are easy reservations on any lake in Florida. One more truck at the boat ramp is just one more too many. Ya know they arn't making more boat ramps or water front property! When does it get to the point when over population completely ruins what this state has or had to offer? I believe we have already surpassed it when I can compare it to what was.

My dad was over human resources for Anheuser Bush here in town. He did the hiring, injury reports, traing ect. Every so often he would meet with one of the Bush's ( I think his name was August) and he would tell him what he wanted done with the plant. To put it mildly... my dad said he was a bit arrogant. Enjoyed having the power to snap his fingers and have people jump at a moments notice. My dad retired when they sold out to InBev.
    Last edited by Manatee Mauler; 01-21-2020 at 07:57 AM.

All I can say is have fun while you can, because People are dying to get out of Florida!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast