Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    PS - I was born and raised in Virginia. Nobody else is allowed to live there or vacation there, because I said so.

Doesn't that sound ridiculous?
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

2. Member
    I got out after keeping a snowbird place in Moore Haven for 30 years. Sold it in 2016 and have zero sellers remorse. Only regret is that I didn't sell a few years sooner as I would have got a bit more. Lake Okeechobee was so great in the 80s and 90s and Moore Haven was a hopping little town, Glades County seat and a Big O fishing destination. several bars, restaurants, a grocery, motel, campground and marina, Burger King...All gone now. Town died when the lake died and the hwy 27 bridge bypass hurt the businesses that survived on traffic count. Goodwill even closed a couple months ago. Town is so poor nobody has anything left to donate. I live in southern Indiana and don't mind the winters. Fl panhandle homes rent cheap for Jan & Feb if we do want to dodge the worst of winter but no plans for this year other than a fishing trip to Alabama in Feb.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1781ccT View Post

PS - I have multiple messages in my inbox welcoming me to Florida. Whatever you think you’re accomplishing by bitching about transplants is NOT WORKING.
    Id be willing to bet that most if not ALL the "messages" in your in box are from other transplants that have graced our presence in the last few years!!!!!

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Manatee Mauler View Post
    Id be willing to bet that most if not ALL the "messages" in your in box are from other transplants that have graced our presence in the last few years!!!!!
    They are the ones that bitch about how much better it is up north after they have graced us with their presence. Wait till they get the bill for Homeowners Insurance, the bill for the "Impact" fee for their vehicles, and how hot it is in the summer. Have to agree with Manatee on all these people moving here. They ought to have to stay for two weeks in Broward or Dade county....

5. Member
    We closed on our house a few days ago.

As I said, “whatever you think you’re accomplishing by bitching about transplants is NOT WORKING”
    But no, I’m not going to divulge who sent the messages. They’re not all transplants. But even if they were, it’s proof that attempts to keep it a “born and raised here” state isn’t working.
    -David Daye

6. Member

As I said, “whatever you think you’re accomplishing by bitching about transplants is NOT WORKING”
    But no, I’m not going to divulge who sent the messages. They’re not all transplants. But even if they were, it’s proof that attempts to keep it a “born and raised here” state isn’t working.
    Good for you!!

7. Member
    I just need to know: does a resident of 20yrs have more rights and privileges when commenting on other more recent transplants of, say, 3 years ago? Does a “born and raised here” have fewer rights and privileges than 3rd or 4th generation Floridians?

Asking because my wife was “born and raised” in Florida and we would like to be aware of our (hers, really) membership perks.
    -David Daye

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcyoung517 View Post
    Good for you!!
    Thanks, we’re excited! New house has two extra bedrooms. (hint: they’re for guests that will be visiting frequently)
    -David Daye

9. Member
    Congrats welcome to the Gunshine state!

10. Member

Congrats on the new house. I plan on doing the same one day. I have family there, but they are only 10+ year transplants so I'm not sure what the perks are yet or if they transfer.

11. Member
    My great grandmother was born here in the 1880s so my family has been here about as long as any and yeah hunting and fishing is not what it used to be, so what, nothing is what it used to be. So Manatee bawler can't catch as many fish as he used to, boo fricking hoo. He's just a broken record every time someone mentions coming to Florida. He may have been born here but his family is from some place else because all of us started out some place else. So come on down some of us don't care if you were born here or not and if you're struggling to catch fish talk to us at the boat ramp because most of us will point you in the right direction.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by db220 View Post
    Congrats on the new house. I plan on doing the same one day. I have family there, but they are only 10+ year transplants so I'm not sure what the perks are yet or if they transfer.
    Thanks!

if you wanna come visit, we'll have a room ready.
    -David Daye

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hogzilla View Post
    My great grandmother was born here in the 1880s so my family has been here about as long as any and yeah hunting and fishing is not what it used to be, so what, nothing is what it used to be. So Manatee bawler can't catch as many fish as he used to, boo fricking hoo. He's just a broken record every time someone mentions coming to Florida. He may have been born here but his family is from some place else because all of us started out some place else. So come on down some of us don't care if you were born here or not and if you're struggling to catch fish talk to us at the boat ramp because most of us will point you in the right direction.
    Catching fewer fish? You’d think a lifetime resident would know the fisheries better than any transplant.

I agree most are pretty approachable about tips and tactics. Spots...not so much...but that’s entirely understandable. There was a guy that owned a bait shop - Cain Pole, iirc - that was particularly helpful every time I came to visit. (it’s a shame he killed his wife before killing himself to avoid a divorce, orphaning their young son)
    -David Daye

14. Member
    Thanks for all the info. I'm in no big hurry to move. I'm just 3 mo. into retirement, and my wife and I have a few medical issues to address. I;m probably about a year away from pulling up roots and moving to that ideal house,perched perfectly on that beautiful waterfront property with perfectly civilized and hospitable neighbors who live in peace and harmony. I would prefer the waters be teaming with panfish and bass, and that the general population of the area not fish for them unless I need a fishing partner for the day. I also have some concern for the climate. I enjoy 70, mixed clouds and sun,a ever so subtle breeze and precipitation during the dark hours as needed Jan.- Nov.. I cherish the image of a white Christmas, so I'll give up Dec. to the wrath of winter. I'm also not much into traffic, when I want to go, I don't want anyone in my way when I travel the perfectly paved potholeless highways and byways of my surrounding areas. Last but not least, I pray that my wife and I sustain adequate health to enjoy this blissful segment of life known as retirement for another decade or two. I have a growing concern that I may not be able to fulfill all of my longing desires. I most likely will have to make some concessions, but I do aspire to land on a plot of ground somewhere in the south-east, mid-south including maybe even Fla. I don't like when I relate myself to the situations of others, but I do expect to be a smidge happier and content with my environment than the Miserable Manatee Mauler. That is unless he's just trying to keep the demons out of his little piece of paradise.

15. Member
    Sounds like you've got perfectly reasonable expectations.

But they way I hear it, Florida USED to be that way until all the transplants started showing up after certain members were born
    -David Daye

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by McBullet View Post
    Thanks for all the info. I'm in no big hurry to move. I'm just 3 mo. into retirement, and my wife and I have a few medical issues to address. I;m probably about a year away from pulling up roots and moving to that ideal house,perched perfectly on that beautiful waterfront property with perfectly civilized and hospitable neighbors who live in peace and harmony. I would prefer the waters be teaming with panfish and bass, and that the general population of the area not fish for them unless I need a fishing partner for the day. I also have some concern for the climate. I enjoy 70, mixed clouds and sun,a ever so subtle breeze and precipitation during the dark hours as needed Jan.- Nov.. I cherish the image of a white Christmas, so I'll give up Dec. to the wrath of winter. I'm also not much into traffic, when I want to go, I don't want anyone in my way when I travel the perfectly paved potholeless highways and byways of my surrounding areas. Last but not least, I pray that my wife and I sustain adequate health to enjoy this blissful segment of life known as retirement for another decade or two. I have a growing concern that I may not be able to fulfill all of my longing desires. I most likely will have to make some concessions, but I do aspire to land on a plot of ground somewhere in the south-east, mid-south including maybe even Fla. I don't like when I relate myself to the situations of others, but I do expect to be a smidge happier and content with my environment than the Miserable Manatee Mauler. That is unless he's just trying to keep the demons out of his little piece of paradise.
    Lol.... Dream on. And be sure to check out the HOA after you buy a house in a development that has one,,,,they can be quite the PITA....

17. Member
    ^ this..

18. Member
    Sarcasm detector must be broken...
    -David Daye

19. Member
    Regretfully, I tend to agree that florida isn't the great place that it used to be, at least what I am looking for in a retirement situation. In the 1980's and 90's I was fortunate to fish Rodman, Orange, Toho, Kissimmee and others and what great fisheries they were and to a certain extent still are today. For many years I felt I too would relocate to a beautiful place in Florida to dodge nasty weather and experience excellent fishing. That is no longer my intention. Apparent diminishing water quality and possible over development have changed my mind. Unfortunately my perception of Florida is it has become simply a mass of humanity. Read recently where Orlando alone has a population of about 1 million and will increase to 10 million within 10 years, right or wrong I don't know. After spending October in Florida just can't get used to traffic, crowds etc. both on and off the water. I am from Kentucky, population about 3 million, Alabama I believe about 5 Million, Florida about 23 Million and growing at incredible rate. Not saying Florida won't be for many people , simply, sadly no longer for me. I appreciate Manatee Mauler and others who share their first hand experiences and knowledge with those of us on BBC. Their opinions and my own personal experience have been the deciding factors to looking into other alternatives.

20. Member
    I've compiled a great deal of useful info here and elsewhere. I appreciate all of the input. After a lot of careful consideration, I have decided to draw a line from somewhere around Charleston, SC to Birmingham, AL., and keep my hillbilly ass above it. I decided to put a big X on Fla. I'll leave the growing human colonies, diminishing natural beauty, and shrinking schools of sewer bass to the migrating heat bound snowbirds and the deeply rooted incarcerated Fla. natives. I'm not looking for a tourist attraction, just relaxation and a little outdoor adventure. I may intrude and add to your misery, but don't worry it will only be for a week or less, and just once every year or two. All sarcasm aside, thanks for the enlightenment! Adrian Hoffman

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast