Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Manatee Mauler View Post
    Everybody from up north wants to buy a piece of property on the water down here. Its to the point that local salaries cant keep up with the cash from people moving here from out of state. A house up north sells for big money and the home owner says lets go to Florida and buy a spot on the water. Your thinking is just like the THOUSND others that have consumed up a large portion of water front property.... to the point where a person born and raised here cant afford it. We are wayyyyyyyyy over crowded on the river, lakes and land. My dads neighbor sold their house up north for 800 plus then took the cash and bought two houses here..... with cash. That defiantly didn't help the local guy working at UPS or police dept. Orion922 didn't grow up here and has nooooooo idea how it used to be. He must like crowds, traffic, fly by night subdivisions with over loaded sewage plants dumping fecal matter into the river. Its just mighty frustrating to see how forest have been completely wiped out by builders like in St Johns County to only be replaced by concrete. Affordable lake fronts or river places are a thing of the past. As are easy reservations on any lake in Florida. One more truck at the boat ramp is just one more too many. Ya know they arn't making more boat ramps or water front property! When does it get to the point when over population completely ruins what this state has or had to offer? I believe we have already surpassed it when I can compare it to what was.

My dad was over human resources for Anheuser Bush here in town. He did the hiring, injury reports, traing ect. Every so often he would meet with one of the Bush's ( I think his name was August) and he would tell him what he wanted done with the plant. To put it mildly... my dad said he was a bit arrogant. Enjoyed having the power to snap his fingers and have people jump at a moments notice. My dad retired when they sold out to InBev.
    100% agree with this.

He didn't mention the OUT OF CONTROL traffic on the interstates. I75 is an absolute death ride between Tampa & Ft Myers. I 4 into Orlando is even worse. I won't drive it anymore. If your not going 85mph, bumper to bumper cutting in and out of traffic you getting run over, period! Don't get the idea you can just get in the slow lane and mosie on down the road...it don't work that way. I take an extra 1 1/2 hours to drive down the middle of the states back roads. I used to road race motorcycles so I'm not afraid of speed, just afraid of out of control jerks which are EVERYWHERE.

Go to google earth and check out the waterfront areas in S.W. Fla. around Englewood, Pt Charlotte, Ft Myers, North Port and ask yourself where is all that sewage going. If you want the TRUTH about the water quality check out Waterline Magazine and read the articles by Capt Van Hubbard. The man know of what he speaks. OH, just wait till Mosaic finally get their permits to mine phosphate up the Peace river...you can kiss Charlotte Harbor goodbye.

2. Banned
    Don't forget all the soiled condoms in TheVillages™ as they're now building on the West side of The Turdpike™, so the Harris Chain will the next one RUINED.

I've also noticed that You can grow grass (Fore! and not ' eeeeeere') on the cement with just a bit of dirt, so why the usage of fertilizers?

Spend from June to Halloween on the water then decide. I'd be willing to say you would tap out somewhere around July 4th. But hey , knock yourself out...

4. Member
    To go along with the traffic problem, about 30% of the Florida population has no car insurance or is under insured. We also have heavy populations of illegal immigrants and homeless.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    Didn't mean to disturb the nest. Sincerely, Adrian Hoffman (McBullet)

You NEED a working knowledge of Rule #2) What someone thinks about You is none of Your business...
    I have no idea why you would think that I NEED a working knowledge of any rule which implies that I care what anyone thinks of ME. My give a damn has been busted on that subject for years now, and what little was left of it disappeared up when I retired. Just didn't want to get the bees riled up by disturbing their nest, their buzzing sound is kind of dull and uninspired to me.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by McBullet View Post
    I have no idea why you would think that I NEED a working knowledge of any rule which implies that I care what anyone thinks of ME. My give a damn has been busted on that subject for years now, and what little was left of it disappeared up when I retired. Just didn't want to get the bees riled up by disturbing their nest, their buzzing sound is kind of dull and uninspired to me.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by opaleski View Post
    All I can say is have fun while you can, because People are dying to get out of Florida!!
    That's pretty much my retirement plan, peace, harmony, and have fun while I can. I have noticed that many folks want to get out of the state where they reside. We humans are creatures of comfort, and it seems the grass is always greener on the other side. For as long as I can remember, one of my life goals has been not to be born, live, and die in area code 304. WV rankings 44-education,45-economy,48-retirement,48-healthcare,50-business,50-fun entertainment,50-quality life, 49-income, 45-roadways/bridges,50-happiness, etc.Beat those numbers. Florida may not be for me, I personally would like S.C.,Ga.,Al.. Due to my wife's relatives and their happiness in the Hernando area I am just exploring my options by utilizing the Florida bass fishing page.

8. Member
    That's pretty much my retirement plan, peace, harmony, and have fun while I can. I have noticed that many folks want to get out of the state where they reside. We humans are creatures of comfort, and it seems the grass is always greener on the other side. For as long as I can remember, one of my life goals has been not to be born, live, and die in area code 304. WV rankings 44-education,45-economy,48-retirement,48-healthcare,50-business,50-fun entertainment,50-quality life, 49-income, 45-roadways/bridges,50-happiness, etc.Beat those numbers. Florida may not be for me, I personally would like S.C.,Ga.,Al.. Due to my wife's relatives and their happiness in the Hernando area I am just exploring my options by utilizing the Florida bass fishing page.
    Not trying to discourage you in any way (be glad to have you), but if you are considering Alabama. We rank worse in pretty much every category that you listed!
    2002 RANGER 520VX
    2006 Mercury PROXS 225

9. Banned
    O.k.

signed,

someone who thought.

10. Banned
    McBullet, Please understand I'm not telling you or anyone not to come here, I just think most northerners think that Fla is the land of milk and honey. Well, it was at one time but the issues pointed out in this thread are real. Fla does not have the infrastructure to support the people who are already here, let alone any newcomers. Building is out of control here in most places. We looked long and hard at Alabama. It was too far away from our kids and grandkids so we settled on mid Fla. It will be ruined in the next 8-10 years as well, if not sooner. It's already starting. I wish you well in your search!

11. Member
    You might as well come to florida and make your wife happy, your in-laws happy and you will be happy. Enjoy yourself as you will be no more of a problem than any other that moves here. Life only comes around once, make yourself at home.

Just looking for a little feedback on Putnam county area as a place to live from a few knowledgeable folks in the friendly bass'in community. I knew better than to ask on facebook etc. I didn't have time to visit BBC much in my working years. I understand that this is a pretty tight knit community, and I probably don't need any help. I've been retired a little over 2 months now, and haven't been out much. Just getting a little restless and bored. I truly appreciate the hospitality of the ones who responded. Didn't mean to disturb the nest. Sincerely, Adrian Hoffman (McBullet)
    putnum county is awesome. Reach out with any questions.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Quote Originally Posted by 1hammerhead View Post
    Find Becky Williams on Facebook she has a lot of listings in that area, consider Welaka or Georgetown and you find plenty of hillbilly transplants...guaranteed.

^^^^^^^^This
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Quote Originally Posted by Mickstix View Post
    Hillbilly who delivered Budweiser?? We'll make an exception! Welcome to Fl!!

GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

15. Member
    I still don’t understand how being born and raised in Florida carries any degree of entitlement.

Bought TWO waterfront homes for $800K?!? You ever heard of the *major* water sports and vacation destination of Claytor Lake in southwest VA? No? That’s because it is not a major destination. Look it up. I challenge you to find two waterfront homes for $800K on Claytor Lake. Can’t hardly buy ONE for that price.

A 2bed 2bath house (might have been 1200sw.ft) rented for $1300/month in shytehole Harrogate, TN. And it was not “nice”. Costs are inflated because there is a small (very small) private university and medical school in town. The whole county has maybe 30,000 residents. But go ahead and try to find two waterfront homes on Norris Lake for $800K. Won’t happen here, either. Fact is, waterfront property values everywhere has exploded. Not just in Florida.

PS - I have multiple messages in my inbox welcoming me to Florida. Whatever you think you’re accomplishing by bitching about transplants is NOT WORKING.

16. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Manatee Mauler is Chairman of the Florida Welcome Wagon.

17. Member
    The Captain has turned off the light,"we're free to roam about the country"

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Manatee Mauler is Chairman of the Florida Welcome Wagon.
    He does make me want to move there more with every post. I figure that someone trying that hard to keep people away while still living there has to be hiding a paradise!

19. Banned
    Speaking for MYSELF, I'm just trying to give folks a heads up on what's going one here. Come if you want and I'm sure in the beginning you will think you died and went to heaven. The growth problems are real, the water problems are real. Dumping sewage into the waterways is real (nobody talks about that one very much) Trying to evacuate from a hurricane problems are real. You will find no shortage of people wanting to build you a new house in a new area with all the bells and whistles. I built plenty of them for new residents myself over the years. Just consider the big picture now and years from now what it going to be like here.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Garage Dog View Post
    Speaking for MYSELF, I'm just trying to give folks a heads up on what's going one here. Come if you want and I'm sure in the beginning you will think you died and went to heaven. The growth problems are real, the water problems are real. Dumping sewage into the waterways is real (nobody talks about that one very much) Trying to evacuate from a hurricane problems are real. You will find no shortage of people wanting to build you a new house in a new area with all the bells and whistles. I built plenty of them for new residents myself over the years. Just consider the big picture now and years from now what it going to be like here.
    It’s all good. You’re not telling people to not come for a visit, or not come to live there.

I’ll be in the center of the state, so hurricane evacuation isn’t much of a consideration except we would be more likely to be receiving evacuees.

I grew up close to Virginia Beach. The whole area around there, including VB, Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, Chesapeake, is called Hampton Roads. The HR area saw tremendous growth while I lived there. Been there; seen it.

Could be way worse. Move to where I currently live. Roads are crap. They can’t afford to actually repave them. Hundreds of homes still have cisterns for their water because the county can’t pipe in water and the water underground is bacteria-laden. Seems every other month, a dozen or more people are rounded up in a drug bust. And this 440 sq.mi county only has 30,000 residents. 3 sit down restaurants in the grand metropolis of Tazewell. Two grocery stores in town. No electronics store. No appliance store. Mediocre everything else. EVERYthing aside from bare necessities is a 45-75min drive away. Beer selection SUCKS. Nearest liquor store is 45min from the house. Closest movie theater is 4 screens and highly dated. But, it’s really beautiful here and there are tons of lakes nearby. Having said all that, anybody wanna by my house in Tennessee???
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast