Re power my Stratos or not ? 200 PRO XS

I have a 2012 294 with a 200 Merc Pro xs. I currently haven 840 hrs all original. I have had a leaking oil pump for a year or so. I am happy with the boat but concerned about motor. I want to repower with a 200 V8 4 stroke. I was thinking of getting new oil pump / injectors serviced and run her another year, but its a gamble either way. Has any any on here re powered their Stratos with the new V8 engines? What would you do. If I knew i could get 2000 hrs on my engine, i would keep it, but there is no guarantee on that. i run Don'd cocktail and DFI oil. New boat is not a option.

2012 Stratos 294 Evolution, Mercury 200 PROXS (1B933452)// HDS live 12 with AT 1, HDS Pro 10 with AT 2, HDS Carbon 12 with SS3D, point 1, sonichub2, Lowrance Ghost, and 3 Ionic lithium batteries.

2. Member
    I would fix the oil pump and keep the +$18000 in my pocket!

Personally, I would take it up to Don, have him go over the fuel system, rail/injector service as well as replace the oil pump. Have him do a complete checkout of the engine. I would make my decision based on his findings. If the compressions are getting low, leak down is too high etc, then sell it. If it is still a very healthy motor, then keep running it.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Savage, how many hour's have you seen optimax's go before a rebuild? I understand every situation is different, I guess i'm lucky, most of hours are idling but when possible, I try to open her up on last run. i make long runs sometime's. She has been good to me..
    2012 Stratos 294 Evolution, Mercury 200 PROXS (1B933452)// HDS live 12 with AT 1, HDS Pro 10 with AT 2, HDS Carbon 12 with SS3D, point 1, sonichub2, Lowrance Ghost, and 3 Ionic lithium batteries.

5. Member
    I have heard of motors going +2000 hours.

They easily go above 2000 hours as Savage suggested.

I have two here with 5900, granted they are "only" 90 Optimax.

I retired four 250 Optimax a year ago, all of which had between 2400 and 3800 hours on them. The running costs of them was just getting too high, but the main block, excluding everything that is attached to it, was still in a pretty decent condition.
    These engines have all worked in a commercial environment, with up to 4 hours of daily usage. Exclusively salt water with rather little care, considering what they had to do.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I would keep it.

On Forums like this you only read about the problems that arise, but you don't hear the thousands of people with no trouble whatsoever.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Ocean View Post
    On Forums like this you only read about the problems that arise, but you don't hear the thousands of people with no trouble whatsoever.
    I'd venture to say tens of thousands with trouble free Optimax engines.

I'll echo comments above, an oil pump and injector service will be small change compared to a new engine. Used regularly and maintained as recommended in the FAQ at top of forum see no reason you shouldn't get 1500 - 2000hrs.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    I have heard of motors going +2000 hours.
    I agree with you on that. Most people only report issues, so most will see that over the good.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Definitely hear more problems due to the information and support that's available here. And a lot of effort goes into trying to keep things accurate.

Engine "hours" are relative. What's far more important is how it's been maintained, run, and what it's actual CURRENT condition is. I've seen a couple north of 4500 hours that I would run anywhere... and a couple with less than 3 that wouldn't make it out of the no-wake zone.

The new Fourstrokes are AWESOME- you would definitely enjoy having one on your Stratos (and it's way cheaper than a new boat). That being said... a year or two's depreciation on a new engine can easily equal the current "cash value" of your current engine, so even if you "drive it till it won't"... odds are that you'll probably save money.

Get a good assessment of the engine now (before sinking money into it) and make an informed decision based on that data, and your needs/wants.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    If it were me, I would make the 3-4 hour drive over to Don this winter and have everything checked out and go from there. Bit of a drive, but certainly worth it considering this is an $18,000 decision you're talking about.

11. Member
    Worth the drive. Don is an expert. And Greenville is a great place to visit!!