Thread: Repower or not.

Repower or not.

I have a 2012 294 with a 200 Merc Pro xs. I currently haven 840 hrs all original. I have had a leaking oil pump for a year or so. I am happy with the boat but concerned about motor. I want to repower with a 200 V8 4 stroke. I was thinking of getting new oil pump / injectors serviced and run her another year, but its a gamble either way. Has any any on here re powered their Stratos with the new V8 engines? What would you do. If I knew i could get 2000 hrs on my engine, i would keep it, but there is no guarantee on that. i run Don'd cocktail and DFI oil. New boat is not a option.
    2012 Stratos 294 Evolution, Mercury 200 PROXS (1B933452)// HDS live 12 with AT 1, HDS Pro 10 with AT 2, HDS Carbon 12 with SS3D, point 1, sonichub2, Lowrance Ghost, and 3 Ionic lithium batteries.

If you like the boat and plan to keep for a while, repower it. Just know that it's not the best financial move if you're going to sell in a few years. But buying a new boat isn't a great move either with the prices now The only thing that would make me think about it is how the Strats have been losing value recently. I love my 200 and plan to keep it, and repowering is the route I plan to go.

It's not a V8, but my 2005 201Pro XL is wearing a 2018 250 Pro XS. I've got an Ultrex, 2 Power Poles, and 3 Helix 12's on the hull (201) that I feel is best for me and my style of fish'n. It has always been my opinion that hull age is the least critical concern in my set up and I would much rather throw my money towards motor and electronics upgrades. My carpet and seats are both less than 4 years old, so I feel like I'm pretty well set up to fish the way I like to for way less $$ than purchasing new.

For me I would get the oil pump repaired or replaced and run that motor as long as you can without putting $1000s into it. When it finally all the way wore out then change the motor as long as the boat is still good.
    The other option is get the oil pump replaced so it's worth more and sell it. Then repower using the money as a down payment.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

I would not consider re-powering a boat unless I was going to own it for several more years or if the repair was a costly repair verse the price of a re-power. Let's say you re-power and two years from now another boat catches your eye and you want to sell your boat. It will always be looked at as a used/older boat because, well it is not new or like new. The fact it has a new or like new motor will make some people like the fact that the motor is new or like new but the sad part is a new motor on a older old boat does not hold as much value as a new motor on a new boat. I know that statement may not make sense to some but a new or like new motor on a new or like new boat will hold value better than a new or like new motor on a 10 year old hull. Hence the reason I say if your in it for the long haul then go for it because you want lose as much in the long run because you got good use out of it. If you're even tinkering with the idea of selling or trading in the near future then don't do it.

Now there is variables that might make a re-power more feasible...if your current engine gets to the point where the cost of the repair runs into the thousands then buy all means it might be time for a re-power. In your particular situation I don't know how much a leaking oil pump cost to fix. Then there is also the hours. At 840 hours if it has had proper maintenance there should be a lot more life left in it. I know most will consider 840 high hours but I can assure you in the bass boat world there is several motors just like yours with 1000 or more hours but to get those high hours people need to do proper maintenance, run good quality oil, run good quality fuel and fuel additives. Based on what you posted it sounds like your doing the right thing as far a maintenance and care goes.

I was in a similar situation as you in 2014. My motor had right at 1000 hours. I had one of the very few Ficht 150's to make 1000 plus hours. I had the computer replaced once and it was an expensive repair. My motor was still running but I was experiencing electrical issues that was going to require another expensive computer repair. I opt to repower. That was 5 years ago. With any luck I will be running my 1999 model boat with a 2014 motor for another 15 years and re-power again. Buy that time I will be old enough I don't know how much I will fish ....I done the math on my 99 motor and I averaged around 65 hours a year. So far on my current motor I am only averaging 45 hours a year so I am already showing signs of slowing down ...anyways sorry to get side tracked. Hopefully you can do what's best for your particular situation

6. Member
    get a new oil pump and have her serviced.i know any of them can pop at any given time but i bet there are lots of life left in that engine.good luck to you
    "keep your blood thin,you will live longer"

Thanks for the reply's. i will get what needs done and keep her going.
    2012 Stratos 294 Evolution, Mercury 200 PROXS (1B933452)// HDS live 12 with AT 1, HDS Pro 10 with AT 2, HDS Carbon 12 with SS3D, point 1, sonichub2, Lowrance Ghost, and 3 Ionic lithium batteries.