Bad Battery or Bad Charger Bank?

Hello from NC,
    Here is the setup.
    3 SRM-29 Interstates running the 36V TM.
    1 Batteries Plus 31AGM running Big Motor, Electronics, PP's etc. (225SHO, 2 HDS12, 2 PP)

MinnKota 460 PC 4 Bank 15amp charger.
    I have left this charger (and the prior charger) plugged in 24/7 when not using the boat.

Sunday morning, opened the shop door and smelled the sulfur. One of the SRM29 was hot, unplugged everything, carefully popped the cap and it was bone dry.
    It took just shy of a half gallon of distilled water to fill it up.

Ran the boat for a solid 8 hours of fishing.
    Parked it, plugged up the charger.....
    24 hours later, the same battery was sizzling. Frustrated at this point, I just unplugged the charger and walked away.

Bad Battery or Bad Charger Bank? My experience tells me when a charger bank has issues it just dies.

Any advice?

Thanks

2. Member
    At this point probably both. The charger sounds like the most likely suspect. Call Minn Kota and see what they say. 3 year warranty! Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

3. Member
    You didn't mention whether you regularly monitor the water levels, and, if the water level on that battery had been sufficient before it got boiled off. If so, I would suspect the charger. But, as Bob mentioned, the battery is likely toast now as well. You can do a bank swap, but, keep a good eye on the battery that will now go on that bank. You can measure voltages while charging also.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

4. Member
    Could of been a very, very bad, bad situation!!!!!!

Also if it took a half gallon, the battery is toast!.

I have also had a minnkota charger boil a battery dry. It was the charger and not the battery. The charger was floating the battery at over >14.5+ volts several days later.
    I now make it a habit to check my batteries with a volt meter day after charger has went to float @ around 13.8 for lead acid.
    Glad I check them, because a year later same thing different minnkota charger. This time caught it well before water level was below plates. I love other minnkota products, but the chargers have left a bad taste in my mouth.
    Last edited by moetorola; 01-14-2020 at 10:02 AM.

5. Member
    It's a difficult situation for me because the boat is stored an hour away from where I live.
    I'm going to go to the shop this weekend, swap the bank (Bank 4 in this case) to a good battery and let the charger cycle through it's charging process while monitoring (Already have a support case open with MK).
    Yeah this would possibly be my second MK charger. First one lost a bank at year 5. This one is 2 years old. Probably time to switch brands.
    Catdude - I had not previously checked the levels. My mistake.
    moetorola - Thanks for the response.
    Bob - Thanks man.

This will be a costly mistake on my part. Seem 29 series batteries are no longer made. So two options - Mix series (not a fan) or buy three new ones....
    I'll let you guys know how this shakes out.

Thanks

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    99.9% battery.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    99.9% battery.
    Catfan,
    Any thoughts on what battery I could add to the current SRM-29's? Hard pressed to find another 29 series these days.

Thanks

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mjlambert23 View Post
    Catfan,
    Any thoughts on what battery I could add to the current SRM-29's? Hard pressed to find another 29 series these days.

Thanks
    29 and 31 are the same size for all practical purposes. Autozone carries the same battery.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

9. Member
    I don't know the current status of the other 2 batteries.(age or condition) The idea is to match the capacity remaining in the batteries to the new one. Not an easy task. If the batteries are over 2 years old the best would be to get 3 identical batteries and start over. Yes money enters into it but, miss matched batteries are a whole new can of worms. Good luck Bob

10. Member
    Just in case you are interested, I have been using the same Walmart Everstart 29's for 4 or more years and charging after each fishing trip and I fish 200+ times a year in tidal waters. I have never added a drop of water, I check it every couple of month.
    You might look at Sam's Club they may have a $20 off program right now and they sell a darn good Deka battery under the trade name Duracell.

11. Member
    Thanks Bob and Bill.
    These batteries are 2 years old this month.
    I am probably going to rip and replace all the TM batteries and the charger. Send the charger back to MK to get it refurbished and sale it afterwards.
    Time to shed some pounds (from my boat and my wallet it seems).

12. Member
    The MK chargers get replaced with new. They can't be repaired. Good under warranty not as good if not. Bob

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    The MK chargers get replaced with new. They can't be repaired. Good under warranty not as good if not. Bob
    Bought it in January of 2018. Should be good to go on the warranty deal.

14. Half Fast
    I know on my 460 PC4 there was a troubleshooting chart by using the lights on the charger. I was able to determine it was just a bad cable on the charger. Although mine was not charging as opposed to overheating. Hope that helps ...
    Fishing, A passion my wife allows me to pursue !!!