Interesting Article -MAXIMIZE YOUR SPORTS SHOW $

Don Gasaway
    FREELANCE OUTDOOR WRITER

Going to the outdoor show is always a hoot. It is a chance to see what anglers from all over are buying. It brings up visions of upcoming trip opportunities and it is a learning experience.

The key to maximizing knowledge from a boat show is advance preparation. A game plan will allow you to learn with a minimum of exhaustion. Begin on the Internet. Most all of the exhibitor’s web pages. So too do the sponsors of the show itself.
    Most shows are composed of thousands of square feet of products, places to go, and other bits of knowledge. Covering the entire show and still being able to focus on your favorite aspect of outdoor recreation takes effort. Some shows are so large that one feels the need of a GPS just to get around.

Once you select the show, check the ads that appear in newspapers, magazines, on radio and television for specific information as to when the show coming to town. Look for the products and seminars that interest you. If planning to make purchases, make a list of the items you are seeking.

Make two lists, one that you have to buy and the second of things you would like to examine. Perhaps you will buy something from the second list and maybe you just want to see it.
    Weekday traffic is lightest, and exhibitors can spend more time with you. Arrive early to allow maximum time to spend getting the information you seek.

If you are with a group, make arrangements to meet at a specific location and time. You may want to see different things. Kids do not want to spend the same amount of time at a booth as an adult. Wives want to see different things than do husbands.
    Once at the show, take time to look over the program you usually receive as you enter. It often has a floor plan and list of the exhibitors. Use a pen or highlighter marking pen to mark the exhibits and seminars of major interest to you. Make check marks beside the names of exhibitors who might stock the things you want to purchase.

Make note of the time and location of seminars you want to attend. Some shows announce the seminars as they are taking place while some do not. Be sure you have a watch so that you do not miss your favorite speaker. Make note on the program of any last-minute substitute seminar speakers or exhibits. Look for such changes the entrance to the show or at the seminar area.

Take a cassette tape recorder to the seminar. Most speakers have no problem with your taping their speech, but it is important to ask permission first. Take notes in a spiral notebook. You might even have some questions that you hope the speaker will answer, prepared in advance. That way if he does not cover the subject, you can ask during the Q & A that usually is part of any seminar.

Pay attention and avoid side conversations with your companions. If the subject is one in which you are intensely interested, sit near the front so that you can concentrate. If you are only passively interested, sit in the back or on an aisle. That way if you decide to leave during the presentation, you will disturb only a minimum number of other people.

Wear comfortable shoes. You will spend most of your time walking on concrete. Hiking boots or a new pair of athletic shoes is a good idea as they provide support and cushioning for the feet. Older athletic shoes are not a good idea as they lack the support necessary to cushion your feet. They are like walking barefoot and can lead to foot problems as well as fatigue.

If the outside weather is cold, then you need to do something with your coat. Carrying it is a nuisance. If the show provides a coat checking service, it is worth the cost. If not, perhaps you might want to leave it in the vehicle. A third alternative is to put it in a backpack.

Backpacks are also a good place for brochures that you pick up at the show. You can acquire a considerable number of them in the course of visiting all the booths. Although the weight of a brochure is not much, the weight of many brochures is a lot. If you do not remember to bring your backpack, then look for a booth that is passing out plastic “shopping bags”. Look around at the other people carrying bags and check for reinforced handles. They are the ones you want.

Another help is to take frequent breaks and examine what you accumulate. Sometimes it is stuff that you do not really want. You can stop for a soft drink and a hot dog while culling your materials. If after reading the brochure you still have some questions, go back to the booth and get answers. It is easier than calling or writing from home later.

Finally, check your notes. Did you miss anything that you had intended to see?

Attendance at sports shows is a great opportunity to gain a maximum benefit from your money.

2. Member
    Hey sclark. So the Cleveland Boat Show is this weekend and I understand Vexus will be represented. Can you tell me what manufacturer insensitives (boat show deal) will be offered. I know that Ranger, Lowe, Tracker, Alumacraft, Nitro and many others are advertising direct from manufacture specials but I cannot find any offers from Vexus. Surely the Vexus can't be the only boat without a leader.

3. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    Kenny,
    that a little outside my area of expertise, if you would like i can ask someone to get in touch with you that would know those things ?
    or give you their contact info ?

-Steve

4. Member
    Steve,
    I will see Jason at the show I imagine. Along with the dealer. I will report back to the board Saturday after the show so everyone else will know too.
    Thanks.

5. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    perfect - thanks

6. Member
    Steve, I saw Jason at the Cleveland show and I worked a deal with my boat dealer. Jason helped me a bunch and the dealers provided the incentives. Now I wait for delivery.

7. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    Fantastic, welcome to the Revolution.

8. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyVexus View Post
    Steve, I saw Jason at the Cleveland show and I worked a deal with my boat dealer. Jason helped me a bunch and the dealers provided the incentives. Now I wait for delivery.
    congratulations can't wait to see pictures
    Last edited by dartman; 01-19-2020 at 10:32 AM.
    Vince Dart- Jim Thorpe PA