Deploying Talons while moving

My buddy has power poles and and deploys them when he is moving under trolling motor power. They deploy and pull the boat backwards. I have talons, but haven't had the chance to use them yet. (Winter in WA) My question is since the talon deploy straight down can you deploy at any speed, or do you have to be completely stationary?

I do not try to deploy my Talon while the boat is moving, other than maybe a slight movement due to currents. but I try to fully stop the boat before I deploy.
    Why would you want to create any additional stress on your equipment? I don't care be it Talons or P.P. just seems very unnecessary. More stress on items like your brackets, Talons, and more on the transom. Don't think for one minute all those cycles of stress don't add up.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

3. Member
    I deploy mine most of the time while the boat is moving/drifting. I use it as a stopping + anchoring mechanism for the boat. Whether it's drifting down from dock to dock (windy day) and stopping the boat at the right moment or trolling fast into an area and deploying/anchoring to stop me from getting to close to what i'm fishing. Would be a nuisance to always have to use the trolling motor to make me come to a complete stop before deploying anchors.

Have owned both. Wouldn't send them down at over 3mph. But if it's rocky and your Not perfectly still and send them every fish is going to know something is off. It will be very loud. If your trying to spring back that doesn't work as well with talons. But that doesn't seem like a good technique to me anyway
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Newton's third law of motion ... for every action there is an equal or opposite reaction..

If my memory is correct my owners manual says to deploy them in deep, open water and idle for a few yards to clean them. I have deployed mine a couple times at idle speed and my boat will shake very hard. It' shakes to the point that I don't like the amount of vibration. There is no way this can be good for the deployed sections or the mounts.

Now what I often do is deploy them in deep, open water while fishing. I figure if I leave them deployed for 10 minutes or so and move around on the trolling motor that any dirt/mud/grime will be washed away. I physically remove them once a year and fully deploy them to clean them and they always look good. In fact I am thinking about no longer removing them to clean because the open water deploy and move around on the trolling motor seems to do a good job. Now I will add when I deploy them in open water while fishing that I am not moving around very fast on the trolling motor. It's typically when I am fishing a deep point and moving slowly. If you deploy them and put the trolling motor on 100% they shake just as much as if you were idling with the big motor.

7. Member
    Thanks for all the input. I agree that it would be a pain to be completely stopped everytime, but it does seem like a bad idea if you are moving to quick.

Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    If my memory is correct my owners manual says to deploy them in deep, open water and idle for a few yards to clean them. I have deployed mine a couple times at idle speed and my boat will shake very hard. It' shakes to the point that I don't like the amount of vibration. There is no way this can be good for the deployed sections or the mounts.

Now what I often do is deploy them in deep, open water while fishing. I figure if I leave them deployed for 10 minutes or so and move around on the trolling motor that any dirt/mud/grime will be washed away. I physically remove them once a year and fully deploy them to clean them and they always look good. In fact I am thinking about no longer removing them to clean because the open water deploy and move around on the trolling motor seems to do a good job. Now I will add when I deploy them in open water while fishing that I am not moving around very fast on the trolling motor. It's typically when I am fishing a deep point and moving slowly. If you deploy them and put the trolling motor on 100% they shake just as much as if you were idling with the big motor.
    The OP was about deploying them while moving to ANCHOR or STOP the boat.
    I can see in a fresh water application in water deeper than the Talon, that would be an easy way to clean them. I have tilt brackets on mine. So when I wash the boat, tilt the brackets, extend the Talons, Clean, Let dry, spray a little Pledge on them, and then store the Talons.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    The OP was about deploying them while moving to ANCHOR or STOP the boat.
    I can see in a fresh water application in water deeper than the Talon, that would be an easy way to clean them. I have tilt brackets on mine. So when I wash the boat, tilt the brackets, extend the Talons, Clean, Let dry, spray a little Pledge on them, and then store the Talons.
    Thanks for the clarification...I now understand what he is talking about. As for deploying mine when the boat is moving while fishing it really depends on how fast the boat is moving and what type of bottom is under the boat. If the bottom is hard rock or gravel I try to let the boat settle down before I deploy them on that type of bottom. This will prevent the noise of the spikes grinding on the rock/gravel. If it's a soft bottom then I don't worry because the noise they make when coming in contact with a soft bottom is not noticable. Those statement apply to when I am moving around and fishing. Let's say I am on the trolling motor with a high speed setting moving from one area to another then I will let the boat slow down before I deploy them. If it's slightly moving then that is okay but I never deploy them when the trolling motor is on high and the boat is moving 3 mph. 99% of my deployments the boat is under .75 mph with the most of them being just slightly moving around.