Thread: 2020 Triton TRX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2020 Triton TRX

Picked up a 2020 Triton TRX 18 with Mercury 200 Pro XS Ultrex 80# with I Pilot late this afternoon. Will be Thursday before I can run it. Ready to start the break in procedure.

Let the fun begin.

2. Member
    Congratulations!

Make sure you have a 25 Tempest or you're not going to be happy at all with the performance.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton18TRX View Post
    Make sure you have a 25 Tempest or you're not going to be happy at all with the performance.
    Do a search, there has been a lot of discussion from quite a few people with that Boat set up that would not necessarily agree with that statement. Most people are running a 22 or 23 pitch Tempest to achieve the proper RPMs. I’m not sure you’re going to get 6000 RPM with a 25 Tempest Plus Prop. Most of these boats come with a fury 24 pitch, and most people get rid of it for a smaller pitch, not a higher pitch, at least when I’m understanding. I run a tempest plus 23 pitch, and I’m having a hard time achieving 6000 RPM. What are you running on your boat? What is your PTP and RPMs?

also, aren’t you running a two-stroke? OP has a four stroke as do I.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    Picked up a 2020 Triton TRX 18 with Mercury 200 Pro XS Ultrex 80# with I Pilot late this afternoon. Will be Thursday before I can run it. Ready to start the break in procedure.

Let the fun begin.
    congratulations, you’re going to love that boat and new motor!! I sure love mine.

6. Member
    Congrats and good luck.

7. Member

8. Member
    Thanks guys. The engine has a Fury 23 pitch prop on it.

The dealer says the new Mercury V8 four strokes like to be run high on the jack plate.

When the break in is completed I will try some different engine heights if RPMs and speed are not high enough.

I will be mounting a Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP at the bow. Does any Triton owners know if these boats are pre rigged with power supply at bow and if so what type of connector is provided?

9. Member
    My 18TRX was pre-wired for electronics upfront, pretty sure yours will be as well. I also have a helix seven at the bow of my boat, but I had the dealer connect it, but it was a 10 minute job. On the drivers console , there is on off switches which controls the power power up front.

You might go to the prop forum, I think you are correct that the 200 hp V8 like to run high on the jack plate, but I’m pretty sure the fury prop likes to be run a little deeper, that’s why a lot of people have went to the tempest plus prop. But there are people with a lot more expertise than I have, I’m basing that on my boat trial and error.

10. Member
    You’ll only be able to turn that 25 tempest plus to about 5500-5600 which is far below the 6000-6200 preferred operating range. That is if you have a 4s motor. All the old setups with 2s motors will not put you where you need to be.
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

Congrats on the new rig! I absolutely love mine. Had it out 4 times now and it gets better and better. A 23p fury is gonna be closer than they did on mine i got a 24p fury and its way too tall. Holeshot and midrange is awesome cuz these motors have so much torque but my rpms are only at 5600ish. I did hit 70mph tho. Hopefully this weekend the weather will hold up to test props. I have the shop lined up for it. They have a 22p tempest in stock im gonna try and im also gonna give a 22p bravo they have a try too. Even if the pitch is wrong it will give me enough info to get what i need im thinking. Reading good things about the bravo on these new motors too because you can run them higher. Mine seems to be easiest to drive at high speed at 2.25” and even 2” but i have read the furys dont like to be ran that high. 3-3.5” below pad is all over the place above 65 mph.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

12. Member
    Great information guys. My dealer says I can swap my prop if I like. May want to try a 22" or 23" Tempest plus.

I think the 25 tempest he was referring to was for the 2 stroke, it is definitely the prop of choice there but not for the 4 stroke, it will need a 22 or 23 tempest
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

Wish my dealer was like all the rest of dealers for you guys on here. They told me the prop that came is the prop i get no questions no trades so i get to figure it out on my dime lol.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    Wish my dealer was like all the rest of dealers for you guys on here. They told me the prop that came is the prop i get no questions no trades so i get to figure it out on my dime lol.
    Roy, you should show your dealer this thread. I still find it extremely unreasonable when you buy a new boat that any decent dealer won’t let you try a different props. As long as they’re not damaged in any way, there’s absolutely no reason they should not let you fit the optimum prop. I don’t know of any dealer that doesn’t do it to be honest. Luckily DaveTTN has done a lot of homework and shared that information. I guess if you look on the bright side, you will have a spare prop, that’s always a good thing.

16. Member
    Congrats on the new boat, the 23 Fury should run good.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    Roy, you should show your dealer this thread. I still find it extremely unreasonable when you buy a new boat that any decent dealer won’t let you try a different props. As long as they’re not damaged in any way, there’s absolutely no reason they should not let you fit the optimum prop. I don’t know of any dealer that doesn’t do it to be honest. Luckily DaveTTN has done a lot of homework and shared that information. I guess if you look on the bright side, you will have a spare prop, that’s always a good thing.
    I'll take this a little further. I find it unreasonable that any dealer will deliver a boat to a customer without confirming that all systems and accessories work as they should AND lake testing it to make sure it performs to it's potential. The dealer can/should demonstrate functionality and performance to the customer at delivery. On the other hand, it is also our responsibility as customers to do our due diligence and not hand over the check until we make sure everything works as it should. Fortunately, we have a dealer locally who uses this business model. Not surprisingly, they are the most successful boat dealer in the area. Good day, folks!

18. Member
    Bunch Marine
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveTTN View Post
    Bunch Marine

That's the one!!

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    My 18TRX was pre-wired for electronics upfront, pretty sure yours will be as well. I also have a helix seven at the bow of my boat, but I had the dealer connect it, but it was a 10 minute job. On the drivers console , there is on off switches which controls the power power up front.

You might go to the prop forum, I think you are correct that the 200 hp V8 like to run high on the jack plate, but I’m pretty sure the fury prop likes to be run a little deeper, that’s why a lot of people have went to the tempest plus prop. But there are people with a lot more expertise than I have, I’m basing that on my boat trial and error.
    Would you mind sharing your performance numbers with and without a tournament load?

I am close to sea level. What is the elevation where you use your boat?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast