few questions about 106sv

Hey guys always been a hummingbird user but really thinking about starting a new set up with the 106sv as my first unit working and then a second unit up front for livescope curious to guys that have used both how u feel the side imaging compares to the mega will I be disappointed at all? Also does anyone know if the 9 inch unit lacks anything the 106 sv has?my current budget allows round 2500 for now so either I got the 106sv or 2 of the 9 inch units so question is you think it be better to just get the 1 10 for now and save up for the next 10 or just get 2 9,s

2. Member
    I've been posting questions here recently on how I can "upgrade" my side imaging. Here are a few "basic" things I've learned from the folks here.

I have (2) 93SV's and (1) 73CV networked w/Live Scope. My transducers are the (older) CV52's and I'm am not satisfied with my side imaging. The current model transducer coming with the 93SV's is the GT52. This transducer is quite a bit better than the CV52 but from the images I've seen posted here it's still not good enough for me to invest in (2) new transducers. There are a few guys here using the GT50 and GT30 with good/very good results. I've learned these transducers have a much tighter cone angle and higher wattage...thus much better imaging.

I have no personal experience with HB but from what I've gathered both Mega and Mega+ is very good...arguably the best. I attended a big fishing show last week and was able to look at the newer UHD 93SV's and the EchoMap Ultra's....both using the GT54UHD transducer. The images on the UHD 93SV's were way, way, better...very good compared to my current setup, but the images were still "grainy"...I'd guess due to the 400x800 screen resolution of the 93SV. I thought the Ultra units were also very good but a much clearer image...I'd guess due to the higher screen resolution of the Ultra units.

Personally, it makes more sense for me to stay with Garmin. I'm currently saving some $$$ to buy a Ultra 102SV to place at the console for side imaging and will double stack my 9's on the bow with a new GT50 transducer up front. For side by side comparisons with HB there will be others here that can give feedback.
    Last edited by tobyfrommo; 01-14-2020 at 09:34 AM.
    2019 Weld-Craft 1960 Mod-V
    2019 Evinrude Etec 150/105 Jet
    Minn Kota Ultrex 24v-80#-45"
    Garmin EchoMap Ultra 122SV, GT54UHD (Front)
    Garmin EchoMap Plus 93SV (Front)
    Garmin EchoMap Ultra 102SV, GT56UHD (Console)
    Panoptix Livescope, GLS10/LVS32

3. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I don’t think garmin has a unit yet that does not have that grainy return.With that said their units are very usable.If I see a brush pile or structure I go over with livescope and get a real pic of what there.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scrimmy View Post
    Hey guys always been a hummingbird user but really thinking about starting a new set up with the 106sv as my first unit working and then a second unit up front for livescope curious to guys that have used both how u feel the side imaging compares to the mega will I be disappointed at all? Also does anyone know if the 9 inch unit lacks anything the 106 sv has?my current budget allows round 2500 for now so either I got the 106sv or 2 of the 9 inch units so question is you think it be better to just get the 1 10 for now and save up for the next 10 or just get 2 9,s
    If this was me i would keep the HB for the time being for side imaging and get the 106sv on the bow for livescope.

In Aus the unit comes with a the 54uhd which i run, it's good for finding structure and finds fish very well, it is not as good as the HB. A mate has one and it's just incredible, at the end of the day i'm only looking for structure, not trying to count scales on the fish. The fish we target are min 15lb so they are easily seen (please don't take that as 'how good am i'). I chase Murray Cod and Barramundi mostly.

I have a 12 inch ultra with the lv32 livescope, the livescope is just incredible. The side imaging is not as important if you have one of those.

PS. Those stubborn buggers below took some time to rise and hook :)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by deanojg; 01-14-2020 at 04:43 PM. Reason: adding stuff

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tobyfrommo View Post
    I have no personal experience with HB but from what I've gathered both Mega and Mega+ is very good...arguably the best. I attended a big fishing show last week and was able to look at the newer UHD 93SV's and the EchoMap Ultra's....both using the GT54UHD transducer. The images on the UHD 93SV's were way, way, better...very good compared to my current setup, but the images were still "grainy"...I'd guess due to the 400x800 screen resolution of the 93SV. I thought the Ultra units were also very good but a much clearer image...I'd guess due to the higher screen resolution of the Ultra units.

Personally, it makes more sense for me to stay with Garmin. I'm currently saving some $$$ to buy a Ultra 102SV to place at the console for side imaging and will double stack my 9's on the bow with a new GT50 transducer up front. For side by side comparisons with HB there will be others here that can give feedback.
    I think my old 106 had cleaner less-fuzzy images more due to better circuitry in that unit than better screen resolution. For example, a 7" series Echomaps have better resolution than the 9's, but I still had fuzzy on those units. The better screen resolution didn't improve it.

that 106 with the GT54 had the sharpest imaging ive ever seen on a Garmin, but still not on par with HB

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deanojg View Post
    If this was me i would keep the HB for the time being for side imaging and get the 106sv on the bow for livescope.

In Aus the unit comes with a the 54uhd which i run, it's good for finding structure and finds fish very well, it is not as good as the HB. A mate has one and it's just incredible, at the end of the day i'm only looking for structure, not trying to count scales on the fish. The fish we target are min 15lb so they are easily seen (please don't take that as 'how good am i'). I chase Murray Cod and Barramundi mostly.

I have a 12 inch ultra with the lv32 livescope, the livescope is just incredible. The side imaging is not as important if you have one of those.
    That pic is a Good example of Garmins imaging being definately useable.

7. Member
    https://www8.garmin.com/marine/PDF/t...tion_guide.pdf

Unfortunately this hasn't been updated yet but shows what Garmin units are compatible with which transducers.

I THINK that at this point the only difference between EchoMAP ULTRA 10 and Echomap UHD 9 is screen resolution. I know at a minimum the Echomap UHD supports the GT54 high def images, which are not supported by the EchoMAP+ units. The only other transducer that I would think might work with Ultra but not with UHD would be the LVS12-TM, which is basically a cheaper livescope that doesn't require a black box.

8. Member
    The ultra units are far superior to the plus units IMO.
    Some of the features over the plus units are:
    Direct-plug UHD and LVS12 compatability, better screen resolution, and brightness, 10hz gps, 2 card slots, 2 network ports, and improved quick release cradle.

Yes, you can get 2 Em93+ units for the price of one 10" ultra, but it was well worth it for me.

9. Member
    Can I run a lvs32 and lvs12 on the 106 ultra units?
    Not at the same time up switching between them?
    Thanks

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brettw View Post
    Thanks
    Well, LVS12 has its own plug and LVS32 comes through the black box into one of the network ports, so I would assume, yes.
    But why? If you have the LVS32, why do you need the LVS12?

That also makes me wonder... They run on the same frequency. You may get some crosstalk.

Someone donate me a LVS32 and I'll try it out. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by brettw View Post
    Thanks
    No, but this functionality is on the list for consideration with future updates.
    Garmin Pro Team