Champion 188 problem

I have a 2003 Champion 188 and am having an issue with driving. I am 6’4” and 225lbs, my boat has a Hot Foot in it and it is a struggle to get seated to where I can operate the pedal due to my knee being wedged against the console. I presently have llebroc seats installed and it is possible that if I get thinner seats I will be able to fit and operate the boat comfortably. Another option would be to either replace or cut the console some, my problem with that is I would have to move all of my switches. Any ideas would be great. Also I cannot angle the Hot Foot and reach it worth a darn. I have considered looking at a 181 since their consoles have what looks like relief contours made along the bottom edge on the sides of the steering wheel.

2. Banned
    I know your struggle, I’m only 6’2” but I have long legs. I have no help for you, but if you can ever find a 196 go take a look at it. I don’t know why, but the 196 has more leg room than my 198 has.

Take out the hotfoot.

4. Member
    I have thought of removing the hot foot, but have heard that it is a “safety must” when hitting bigger water. I would like to get on Erie, St Clair, KY Lake at some point.

5. Pat Goff
    You can make a hot foot box through the console into the rod box.
    They built a 201 for David Robinson with the Spurs, that ran up about two feet into the box. That was a big dude right there.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

6. Member
    How far does the mounting board extend into that locker, it looks like my hull contour is pretty close to there, I don’t want to cause any structural damage.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deputy19 View Post
    I have thought of removing the hot foot, but have heard that it is a “safety must” when hitting bigger water. I would like to get on Erie, St Clair, KY Lake at some point.
    I have crossed St Clair many times in my 186 with 2-3fters with no hot foot. Have to learn how to read the waves and use throttle accordingly. Use your kill switch and go slow.

Not a fan of the hotfoot. My current rig has one and it will be taken out when I get the chance.

9. Pat Goff
    I don't care for them either, but we're both taught in a different time.

As far as where to put it? Open your rod box and see if there's a spot to put it down. I HIGHLY recommend using the adjustable plate instead of just screwing the foot throttle down.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

10. Member
    I opted to just remove it versus cutting my rod box. I understand the logic of the safety factor when on rough water. For years guys ran boats all over the US without them, they focused on their driving, didn’t get crazy and needlessly tear their stuff up, and drove their boats. If I remember correctly there was a time that the Bassmasters were restricted to 19’ boats with 150 hp motors. There are also countless videos available that are presented to show you the best ways to handle/run in rough water. Now I actually fit behind the wheel of my boat, just need the ice to stay away.

Run your kill switch and your'l be just fine.

12. Member
    Will do, thank you.

Comfort and confidence

if your hydraulic steering is working properly you will have no problem on Erie in those 2-3 foot rollers. I have a 188Elite no hotfoot and been on Erie a bunch. Only run as fast as you and your boat are confident and comfortable.
    MAKING DONATIONS TO GREAT FISHERMAN EVERY WEEKEND
    2005 CHAMPION 188 ELITE