Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best spinning rod for the$

Im just curious. If you had $250 to spend and were looking for a spinning rod, which would you buy?

thanks

2. Member
    Shimano Expride

For that kind of money you can have one custom made with change left over.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    I just got a Diawa tatula spinning rod and I’m impressed by it for the money I only fished with it a few hours before the lake froze but I really like it.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

5. Member
    Daiwa Tatula Elite w/ AGS guides. 7'1 Ehler, 7'4 Meyer, or 7'6 Feider. Take your pick.

6. Member
    St Croix Avid X and take the wife to Dinner with the remaining money.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Depends on what you are wanting to do with it... what technique?

Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    Depends on what you are wanting to do with it... what technique?

+1
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

9. Member
    Wacky rig/neko

ALX Rods ZOLO Maestro gets my vote.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    ALX Rods ZOLO Maestro gets my vote.
    agreed

Agree with Jeff about having a custom rod built. You'd likely be able to snag one that fishes as well as the best off-the-shelf rods for your budget.

If you're sticking with off-the-shelf stuff...I've heard great things about the ALX lineup throughout, but still don't have one in my lineup to comment. So sticking with rods I've got experience with, a Phenix Feather in a medium power would be my suggestion! Either 7'1" or 7'7", depending on your preferences. Note that Phenix rods fish lighter than other brands for given power ratings; this one would fish a little heavier than what I'd consider an "average" medium-light power. You'd be able to buy the rod then pair it with a Daiwa Fuego LT or BG and have a full combo that only barely exceeds your rod budget.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinDad View Post
    Shimano Expride
    Exprides are still the bang for buck rod to beat imo. Maybe the new monocoque Zodias will give it a run for its money.

14. Member
    Just bought an Avid X 6'8" MXF on sale before Xmas for this! REALLY excited for Spring to get here!

2012 Stratos 189 VLO/150 Mercury Pro XS/MinnKota Terrova

15. Member
    Expride or Zodias.

Is there $70 difference between the two? That depends on the angler, probably.

"Whoever said 'the pen is mightier than the sword' has obviously never been stabbed."

16. Member
    Buy used. Save $200. Get $450-500 rod that didn’t meet somebody else’s needs. I have off this board and tickled pink with purchases. My .015 cents worth.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Agree with Jeff about having a custom rod built. You'd likely be able to snag one that fishes as well as the best off-the-shelf rods for your budget.

If you're sticking with off-the-shelf stuff...I've heard great things about the ALX lineup throughout, but still don't have one in my lineup to comment. So sticking with rods I've got experience with, a Phenix Feather in a medium power would be my suggestion! Either 7'1" or 7'7", depending on your preferences. Note that Phenix rods fish lighter than other brands for given power ratings; this one would fish a little heavier than what I'd consider an "average" medium-light power. You'd be able to buy the rod then pair it with a Daiwa Fuego LT or BG and have a full combo that only barely exceeds your rod budget.
    The Feather is a good rod for the money.

18. Member
    There is really no "best rod" for you. You have to get each one in your hand to see how it feels to you - people like different grip styles, materials, etc. and not everyone holds a rod & reel the same way. For example, I still prefer cork grips and hold the reel with two fingers ahead of the reel foot and two fingers behind. Some people prefer full-length grips and some prefer split grips. Personally, I think good balance is very important in a spinning outfit and you need to put a reel on the rod to determine whether it feels right to you. $250 will buy you a great rod from many different companies - ALX, Dobyns, Douglas, Falcon, Loomis, Powell, St. Croix and several others, and you can get many nice rods for considerably less. Remember that rods are like women - what feels good to someone else might not suit you regardless of the cost.

19. Member
    ALX ZOLO gets my vote.

20. Member
    Think about what type of water you are fishing...clear open water/etc....I tend to get longer rods than 7' + to get the bait out away from the boat. Don't get me wrong I have multiple 7' spinning rods for their specific need(s) but I have only been adding longer rods as of late. $250 is a GREAT price range...but you can nab a couple (2X) NICE rods on the swap/sell for $250. Just be patient maybe put a WTB post (if you have narrowed it down) up and see what comes knocking.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast