Some boat cover questions.

getting a cover made for the boat this week. Thinking of how I want to strap the cover down to the boat. Right now my old worn out cover has nylon webbing with buckles that strap the cover to the trailer which works fine but have a couple that are broke or the buckle is bad etc. so the one I am having made instead of straps sewn into the cover it just has loops.
    had a cover similar years ago and I just used bungee cords to strap it down but didn't really are for those either. I have thought about using 550 cord but want to figure a way to have a good tension system on each one, Which so far I haven't really figured out what I want to do. I didn't care for the bungee cord thing that I had in the past cause it seemed like they just didn't hold tight and the ones I had at the time were adjustable.
    would like to have something like 550 cord that I can tie to the trailer so it dosent move it stays on the cover all the time but want a way to be able to adjust the tension.

any of you all have any ideas or pictures of how yours are done.

Towable or dust cover ? Towable I'd have it made like a Ranger towable. Webbing inside the edges that can be pulled thru to the rear by a ratchet on each side. Dust Cover, webbed straps attached to the each side (2) plus one front and rear with quick release buckles that attach to the trailer frame.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

3. Member
    You want ratchet straps sewn into it instead of a rope to tighten it up right under the rub rail. Try to look up a cover for a Phoenix. They really have it nailed down. Ratchet straps to tighten it up, a little pole system to keep it like a tent, and vents that create a vacuum instead of a parachute when trailering

I have had the same kid make all my covers, he does an excellent job. Covers are tight, easy to put on. He makes the rope ends and puts them in the tarp straps. they hook on hooks on the trailer

its a towable cover. its going to have 1" webbing in the main run along the length of the boat under the rub rail. that was thing I insisted on. will have ratchet straps on the back side to tighten it down. it also has 2 poles inside that go to the boat floor and deck that have vents. so that part I have figured out. its the tie down to the trailer portion that I'm wondering about.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    its a towable cover. its going to have 1" webbing in the main run along the length of the boat under the rub rail. that was thing I insisted on. will have ratchet straps on the back side to tighten it down. it also has 2 poles inside that go to the boat floor and deck that have vents. so that part I have figured out. its the tie down to the trailer portion that I'm wondering about.
    Tie down--- that is why i post a pic on how mine was made.
    this is a towable cover. C.B. IA to Okoboji in 2 hours and 30 minutes ( 200 miles) no flopping around. I always cover it if I'm towing a distance, this cover is 16 years old. like everything, buy quality, take care of it and it will serve you well.

16 years and there are no wear marks on the gel coat

Kid that makes the cover also made these to keep the straps from touching. Like I posted, he makes an excellent cover

8. Member
    Bassman, that cover looks excellent. Who is the Kid you are talking about? Does he do it for others? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shuck Grass View Post
    Bassman, that cover looks excellent. Who is the Kid you are talking about? Does he do it for others? Thanks
    yes, he owns a shop where he makes boat covers, he also does upholstery. He is in Omaha Ne. Guess he has been doing it for 25-30 years.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    Kid that makes the cover also made these to keep the straps from touching. Like I posted, he makes an excellent cover
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    yes, he owns a shop where he makes boat covers, he also does upholstery. He is in Omaha Ne. Guess he has been doing it for 25-30 years.
    Well, if he's been doing it for 25-30 years he ain't a kid any longer... Looks like he does excellent work... Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan21XRS View Post
    Well, if he's been doing it for 25-30 years he ain't a kid any longer... Looks like he does excellent work... Dan
    Dan, if he is 50—- he is a kid to me. I have one that will be 47

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    If the cover comes down far enough below the rub rail, and you have ratchet straps at the back, why would you need tie downs to the trailer? I'm sure you have seen the covers for BCB that Aurora makes, and with the ratchets, no trailer tie downs are necessary. Having said that though, having had three of those, my newest Cat has a cover identical to the Aurora, but the shop that made it brought the material farther below the rub rail, and, it fits and works better than any of the others that I have had. Ratchets only, no trailer tie downs, 2 poles, and, doesn't budge on the highway.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    If the cover comes down far enough below the rub rail, and you have ratchet straps at the back, why would you need tie downs to the trailer? I'm sure you have seen the covers for BCB that Aurora makes, and with the ratchets, no trailer tie downs are necessary. Having said that though, having had three of those, my newest Cat has a cover identical to the Aurora, but the shop that made it brought the material farther below the rub rail, and, it fits and works better than any of the others that I have had. Ratchets only, no trailer tie downs, 2 poles, and, doesn't budge on the highway.
    That is the way this guy makes them.

Here is a question for you. Why doesn’t my cover flap and wear the top cap gel coat like everyone on here complains about? I have passed boats on the road that just has the ratchet strap, why does their cover move?