Ultrex contour following

Getting ready to buy Ultrex and trying to decide on linked vs i-Pilot . Does the follow a contour work well particularly if you are following the shoreline. I fish highland lakes , Dale Hollow and Cumberland so lots of bluff fishing with Texas rigs, jigs, and wacky worms. Can I set it up have it run the banks accurately at slow speeds. Any insight appreciated.

2. Member
    Have not used the follow contour feature, but I would think that for most banks the autopilot function on the non-link wpould do what you are looking for and save you a couple hundred bucks. Probably not true if the banks aren't very "straight" though.

follow the contour is only as good as the chart/chip its reading. it doesn't use depth from the transducer. I've not found a chart that is 100% on any of my lakes.
    When fishing off offshore structure, grass lines etc. I've used the contour and if the chart is right it's a neat feature. Most of the time I will use the auto pilot and follow the break line while watching the chart making small adjustments as needed... But I'm always watching my electronics so if the chart deviates from the actual topography I notice it real quick..
    I love to fish Offshore bluffs or ledges especially this time of year.. One thing I use a lot once getting set up on those spots is the jog feature It's really improved my ledge fishing.

4. Member
    You will never find a chart that is 100%. If you have an LakeMaster HD chart for your lake you will be pretty close. They cant chart every square inch of a lake. Nobody can and not charge an arm and a leg for a map. You can however make your own improvements for the sections that need it. Correcting the depth when you get to an area helps also.(Water level offset) The link is more than follow the contour. It allows you to see your tracks and spotlocks from the last time you were than and set up a plan. That is the part of the link I value most. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

In my humble opinion, If you already have a Humminbird that will connect to the Ultrex it would be worth it, BUT, if you would have to buy an additional Depth Finder you now add the additional cost of the Ultrex plus the cost of a new Humminbird !! I don't so I didn't !! There's plenty of neat features of the Ultrex to not have to spend more $$$$ !
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    You will never find a chart that is 100%. If you have an LakeMaster HD chart for your lake you will be pretty close. They cant chart every square inch of a lake. Nobody can and not charge an arm and a leg for a map. You can however make your own improvements for the sections that need it. Correcting the depth when you get to an area helps also.(Water level offset) The link is more than follow the contour. It allows you to see your tracks and spotlocks from the last time you were than and set up a plan. That is the part of the link I value most. Bob
    I have a 959 and a Helix SI also have Lakemaster and zero line cards . So I guess it is worthwhile to have the link. I will need to install a hub for network. The cost difference is about $600 . To make it all work with the link, I guess i should go with the link.

7. Member
    I also fish highland lakes here in MO. Like stated it isn’t perfect. But I use it on just about every trip. It is the most important feature for me. It does not work on steep bluffs if you are fishing vertically. The Lakemaster map just is not that good.

8. Member
    I assume if I correct the depth on the offset for changing water levels and then use an offset for a very shallow depth then I would be within casting distance of the shoreline. That is what I’m interested in doing just being able to concentrate on fishing rather than running the trolling motor. Have fished with a foot pedal cable motor for years and just wanting something a little less distracting when the the bite is super light. Lots of my buddies use hand control motors which the Ultrex on Autopilot would mimic, I have used the hand control with success but prefer a pedal when I sit and fish. Seems like the Ultrex is the answer .

Quote Originally Posted by Ohiorodbuilder View Post
    I assume if I correct the depth on the offset for changing water levels and then use an offset for a very shallow depth then I would be within casting distance of the shoreline. That is what I’m interested in doing just being able to concentrate on fishing rather than running the trolling motor. Have fished with a foot pedal cable motor for years and just wanting something a little less distracting when the the bite is super light. Lots of my buddies use hand control motors which the Ultrex on Autopilot would mimic, I have used the hand control with success but prefer a pedal when I sit and fish. Seems like the Ultrex is the answer .
    If the map doesn't have suitable contour lines for steep bluff fishing, or shoreline fishing just create an iTrack along the bluff/shore and tell the motor to follow that.
    It won't be based on depth, just GPS location.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

If it's vey calm and still it will work as good as the map at .5mph, slower not so much. With wind or currents you need to be at 1mph so when you say slow I doubt that. But there are uses to link for me even though I don't use that one.

ps works good on my 959. The pink heading line that is cast in the direction of the tm while on "autopilot " helps tremendously while offshore especially when put in legacy mode.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

11. Member
    Thanks all for your input helped me understand some things.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    If the map doesn't have suitable contour lines for steep bluff fishing, or shoreline fishing just create an iTrack along the bluff/shore and tell the motor to follow that.
    It won't be based on depth, just GPS location.
    How do you create your itrack Wayne? Does trolling motor have to be deployed? or can you start it on fish finder, drive the track with big motor, put trolling motor in the water and follow it front or backwards?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisntab View Post
    How do you create your itrack Wayne? Does trolling motor have to be deployed? or can you start it on fish finder, drive the track with big motor, put trolling motor in the water and follow it front or backwards?
    iTrack is a GPS function of the trolling motor. It has to be deployed and powered on.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...7C63&FORM=VIRE

LINK will give you more iTrack memory than the max of three just with the motor.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL