Boat Recommendation?

I will be retiring to Farragut/Loudon area as soon as my house sells in Dallas. I currently run a Ranger 22' Bay Boat to fish Lake Texoma. It's a great boat, but a beast to tow and load/unload. My thought is to sell the boat in Houston before I move and purchase in TN, but I might get more $$ and save taxes for a trade-in. My question is "do you think that I will be happy with an 18 ft aluminum boat such as the Ranger RT188P"? I really want a boat that can be garage stored, tows easily and is economical to operate. Plan is to base in Farragut area and trailer to the various lakes. Currently, no plans to tournament fish. If it looks rough, I'll stay home. Or would recommendation be to buy an older glass boat?

I fished for years out of a 17' glass boat which worked great except for the small gas tank....

2. Member
    IMO, you probably won't be happy going back to that sized aluminum. These lakes get a LOT of boat traffic, especially in the warm weather months. You will take less beating running and gain stability at rest with even a like-sized glass rig. FWIW, I run a Triton 19XS. It is adequate, but not overkill by any means. I live in that area and am glad to try to answer any questions. Hope your move goes well.

I had a similar quandary last year. I was looking real hard at an RT188, RT198P and a few other tin boats. For the same reasons mentioned above, I went with a Basscat Sabre (18’ 1”). Coming out of a 20’ bassboat it felt small at first but I quickly got used to it and it is just so easy to fish out of and move around with just me alone.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    i would definitely sell your boat in houston.it will be an easier sell and probably get more out of her.you will like that area of tn.good luck to you
    "keep your blood thin,you will live longer"

I fished Chickamauga, Nickajack, and Watts Bar for many years out of a Stratos 181PRO (18 foot) and never wished for anything larger. Obviously, you can get in trouble in most any boat. The only time I felt "under-boated" was on the mid part of Chickamauga when the wind was blowing 15+ from the south and had it chopped up to 4+ foot waves. Rare occurrence, but it does happen.

If you pick your days to avoid weekends and high winds the Ranger would be fine. Otherwise, get a glass boat that is 18 foot or larger.

6. Member
    No market in east Tennessee for what you currently have, so sell it there first.
    Then
    Buy at least an 18 foot glass boat. Loudon and Chick can be unbearable with traffic, Watts Bar usually won't be a problem.

7. Member
    Another two cents....went to a 1880 Vexus from a 20 ft Triton. Fish a lot by myself...if had more room and was younger would have gotten the 19....so far has been an awesome boat around Knoxville.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TexomaDan View Post
    ...I really want a boat that can be garage stored, tows easily and is economical to operate. Plan is to base in Farragut area and trailer to the various lakes. Currently, no plans to tournament fish....
    I have a Nitro Z18, plenty of room for two. We fish Chickamauga a couple of times per year and it has performed well. I do agree with others there can be a lot of boat traffic on the weekends. I would suggest you seriously consider a hinged trailer tongue for storage considerations.
    Good fishing,
    Vic
    Preparedness plus Opportunity = Luck

9. Member
    When you get here and are ready to look for a boat be sure to visit Bunch Marine in Harriman! Great guys there!
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

10. Member
    I relocated to the area you are talking about when I retired. I had a 20 ft Hydrosport for years and sold it before moving. I purchased a Ranger Rt188 two years ago from Bunch Marine and have been very happy with it. It is very easy to load/unload and move around in the garage. Most garages these days are very short so it is hard to keep one at home unless you custom build one with extra space. Having it at home where I can keep it clean and leave all my gear in it is great. I fish Ft. Loudon and Tellico plus an occasional trip down to Chickamauga. I have had no problems with rough water but mainly fish mid week and not in bad weather. The new 4s motors are so efficient I am amazed how little gas I have to buy. If you are looking for a boat when you get here I would recommend Bunch Marine just west of KNOXVILLE in Harriman. They carry Ranger, Vexus, Triton, Caymas and Tracker so you can compare them all size to side. I would probably look hard at a Vexus if I was buying one today but they were not out when I got mine. Let me know if you any questions on the boat or area. You picked a good one to move to if you like the outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by TellicoTom View Post
    I relocated to the area you are talking about when I retired. I had a 20 ft Hydrosport for years and sold it before moving. I purchased a Ranger Rt188 two years ago from Bunch Marine and have been very happy with it. It is very easy to load/unload and move around in the garage. Most garages these days are very short so it is hard to keep one at home unless you custom build one with extra space. Having it at home where I can keep it clean and leave all my gear in it is great. I fish Ft. Loudon and Tellico plus an occasional trip down to Chickamauga. I have had no problems with rough water but mainly fish mid week and not in bad weather. The new 4s motors are so efficient I am amazed how little gas I have to buy. If you are looking for a boat when you get here I would recommend Bunch Marine just west of KNOXVILLE in Harriman. They carry Ranger, Vexus, Triton, Caymas and Tracker so you can compare them all size to side. I would probably look hard at a Vexus if I was buying one today but they were not out when I got mine. Let me know if you any questions on the boat or area. You picked a good one to move to if you like the outdoors.
    I believe Bunch Marine stopped carrying Ranger boats.
    2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

12. Member
    You are correct. I was at the East TN boat show today and was told they had to choose between Ranger and Vexus and they decided to go with Vexus. They are also giving up the Tracker line.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgs1967! View Post
    I believe Bunch Marine stopped carrying Ranger boats.
    Ranger RT188 with Mercury Pro XS 115 Ultrex TM