Had my first issue with the 1880

Took advantage of some crazy warm weather this past weekend and hit Cumberland for some smallie fishing. We knew Sat was gonna be a hit or miss as some heavy rain and wind was in the works, so as foretasted, it got pretty hairy and rained so hard it was like a bucket of never ending water which took us off the lake around 2pm. We got back to the cabin, dried off and watched some college BB, and went and ate, when we got back I noticed my motor trimmed all the way up, and I first thought was someone had messed with the boat, but checking everything finding all ok, I trimmed the motor back down and it came right back up, and the only trim switch that worked was on the bow. I also noticed the switches were lit, it was dark and started to rain so I cut the power once the motor was down and left it for the morning , hoping it was maybe water in the switch.

Sun morn we get up and find the problem still exist, at this point I was getting into max frustration mode as I knew the fishing was gonna be crazy good. We hook up , got eat breakfast and look for a small star-head that will fit the switch cover. we got lucky, take the cover off and saw that there was no gasket and nothing in the wire connectors that would prevent water from getting to any part of the wiring, we disconnected the connectors and the motor trimmed up and down as it should and stayed that way. I was relieved that we would fish the day, and caught a bunch of big small's, on what has been our best day on Cumberland.

I think I should call Vexus and ask why there is no water-proofing around that cover of any around the connectors. I have not plugged the connectors back together yet, I wanted them to dry out after I put it back in the garage. Anyone else seen this on their Vexus or any other brand?

2. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    If you have a dealer close, call them. they can help you out ..
    if not call Vexus at (833) MY-VEXUS.

or "pm" your number . . . .

3. Member
    How did the lockers/storage compartments do with all the rain. Did all of them stay dry? How about the step in front of the rod locker?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Scott View Post
    How did the lockers/storage compartments do with all the rain. Did all of them stay dry? How about the step in front of the rod locker?
    Believe it or not, the lockers were all dry, including the step. I was really pleased to see them with no water issues considering the amount of rain were were in and after we were off the water.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sclark View Post
    If you have a dealer close, call them. they can help you out ..
    if not call Vexus at (833) MY-VEXUS.

or "pm" your number . . . .
    Nearest Dealer is 2 1/2 hours away. Hoping for a local dealer here in a couple of months, as I have another minor issue to deal with. I will call Vexus, thanks for the reply.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guntucky View Post
    Believe it or not, the lockers were all dry, including the step. I was really pleased to see them with no water issues considering the amount of rain were were in and after we were off the water.
    Great to hear about the dryness!!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyVexus View Post
    Great to hear about the dryness!!
    Yes it is! We all have a lot of money tied up in what goes in those compartments. Nice to hear that it will stay dry.

8. Member
    Take it to your dealer. My 1980 is in the shop for the bow trim switch shorted out, same issue except mine was stuck running in the down position and could not get mine to raise at all with any of the trim switches and with water temps in the 45 and I had to drag the skeg just to get it out of the water. The issue also caused the relay to fail and because it was stuck on and melted the trim harness going to the motor. According to my dealer this is a known issue and was hoping Vexus would do a recall on it.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmith3510 View Post
    Take it to your dealer. My 1980 is in the shop for the bow trim switch shorted out, same issue except mine was stuck running in the down position and could not get mine to raise at all with any of the trim switches and with water temps in the 45 and I had to drag the skeg just to get it out of the water. The issue also caused the relay to fail and because it was stuck on and melted the trim harness going to the motor. According to my dealer this is a known issue and was hoping Vexus would do a recall on it.
    I just got off the phone with Vexus CC, they are sending me a fix for the issue. I don't think mine has any damage, it was just a water-proofing issue that they are dealing with on that switch. If this does not cure the problem, then I will take it to a dealer, which I might have to do for the back hatch carpet, but the Rep was right on it. Good customer service is what we want and that IMO is what we are going to get.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guntucky View Post
    I just got off the phone with Vexus CC, they are sending me a fix for the issue. I don't think mine has any damage, it was just a water-proofing issue that they are dealing with on that switch. If this does not cure the problem, then I will take it to a dealer, which I might have to do for the back hatch carpet, but the Rep was right on it. Good customer service is what we want and that IMO is what we are going to get.
    What is up with the back hatch carpet?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyVexus View Post
    What is up with the back hatch carpet?
    Just developed a couple of small rolls in it. Not that big of a deal that can't be fixed fairly easy.