Sidevu Waypoints without Pausing?

Short Version:
    Are there any methods of marking waypoints on sidevu that avoid pausing the sidevu sonar? I'm hoping I'm just missing something.

Full Story:
    I finally got my sidevu transducers hooked up to my GPSMAP1242, and took it out on the river yesterday. (First impressions of image quality are good, but I'll hold off on getting into comparisons vs my previous Lowrance until I spend some time with it.) The one issue I noted is that I was not impressed with marking waypoints on sidevu. The method I located in my manual (and BBC search) requires pausing the sidevu first. The problem I have is that the sidevu is now totally paused while I edit the name and icon for the waypoint from that screen. Which means if I happen to pass by another exciting bit of structure during this process, I'll miss it. On the Lowrance, I would just add the waypoint info while the sidevu worked in the background and I could check it out once I finished in the menu. This way I never had to quit idling along as I worked.

I will say that in the month I've been using this new GPSMAP1242, this is the only case I've found where I've liked the user experience of my old Lowrance Carbon 16 better. So overall I'm pretty happy so far.

2. Member
    As far as I've been able to tell, the answer to your question is "no," at least on my EchoMAPs.
    I usually just drop the waypoint as quickly as possible to get back to scanning and will use the activecaptain app on my phone to edit the waypoints later if necessary.

3. Member
    Someone else asked the same question a while ago.

I don’t like the current way of marking waypoints either.

4. Member
    Thanks for the replies. At least I know I'm not just missing an easy solution. I'll definitely be hoping for an update that makes it easier. For now I guess I'll tell myself that it will be ok since it may help tame my habit of creating WAY too many waypoints.

Really and truly that's the only complaint I have so far with the system.

5. Member
    Same issue here. I've gotten fairly speedy on the keypad to compensate, and generally kick the motor into neutral to limit the blind spots.

6. Member
    So help me to understand this. If im idling along and i see a stump i want to mark. I can pause the sonar and drop the waypoint and it will put the way point where the stump actually is since i paused the sonar? Or will it put the waypoint where my boat is now some 50ft farther away from stump? Sorry for the dumb question but thats what happens when you have a unit that is smarter than you.
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

7. Member
    It puts the waypoint where your cursor is. It knows the coordinates of the screen.

8. Member
    I’d be curious to hear your experiences vs the carbons. We just went from Echomap plus units to HDS carbons.

9. Member
    @DustyD26 - The GPS waypoint will show up over where that structure SHOULD be.. BUUTTT....
    If you don't have an external GPS antenna, your head unit is gonna be offset several feet from where the transducer is, and apparently, the Garmin's don't automatically correct for that. To me that seems like a gross oversight in design, really should have a gps antenna in the transducer but whatever...

But yeah, it'll be pretty damn close to where the structure actually is, just off by a couple of feet for the difference between gps antenna and transducer.

10. Member
    The further you get away from the boat and the deeper the water is, the more error there is, but yeah it marks pretty close on sidevu. If you're just casting to general area, its plenty close enough. If you need an EXACT location, just run over there and mark it with clearvu and/or livescope.

@bmwnc2, I'll post in a couple weeks about my full experience once I've gotten used to it all. So far I feel like the overall garmin user experience is smoother besides this one issue, and the image quality is comparable. There are some pros and cons to both though.

11. Member
    even with livescope, it really depends on where your headunit is. LiveScope itself doesn’t have GPS receiver.

A few weeks ago, We discussed how waypoints are different, one marked with Garmin Force TM (that comes with an independent GPS receiver) and one with a headunit.

I think from now on, I should always use my TM remote to mark waypoint (assumption: Transducer is installed on TM).

Quote Originally Posted by RCR1 View Post
    The further you get away from the boat and the deeper the water is, the more error there is, but yeah it marks pretty close on sidevu. If you're just casting to general area, its plenty close enough. If you need an EXACT location, just run over there and mark it with clearvu and/or livescope.

@bmwnc2, I'll post in a couple weeks about my full experience once I've gotten used to it all. So far I feel like the overall garmin user experience is smoother besides this one issue, and the image quality is comparable. There are some pros and cons to both though.

12. Member
    Thank you for clearing that up. So i guess from now on when i drop a waypoint i will pause the sonar and that should get me pretty close when returning to it. As the difference from my ducer to my unit isnt more than 7 or 8ft
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyD26 View Post
    ..... So i guess from now on when i drop a waypoint i will pause the sonar and that should get me pretty close when returning to it. As the difference from my ducer to my unit isnt more than 7 or 8ft
    depends on how you create a way point on Garmin unit, especially guys switched from Lowrance. the bottom right "Mark" menu on Garmin unit will just put a way point where your boat current is, it does NOT matter you pause the sonar to have a cursor on the 2D/ClearV/SideV screen. if you want to put a way point where the cursor is from 2D/CV/SV, you need to use the top right "..Way point.." menu.
    Last edited by canon; 01-15-2020 at 12:39 PM.
    Tangrine Orange Key 16604126S1