Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

cheap camping on chick

guys need some ideas on camping on chick. i have a classic later in the spring but i wanted to go over for a weekend soon(1st of feb) to get to know the layout of the lake. will be sleeping in the back of my suburban so all i need is electricity and a bathroom. would like to be around Dayton. i looked at blue water but they want $40 a night to camp little steep for what i am doing. open to suggestions

thanks
    Jeremy From Indy
    2019 PolarKraft TX 195 Pro
    2019 Suzuki 200SS

2. Member
    Check with Grasshopper Creek just down the road, toward Cleveland, TN.
    (423) 961-2055

Be careful getting out to the main channel.
    It is really skinny water in some spots, suggest you troll until you figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    Check with Grasshopper Creek just down the road, toward Cleveland, TN.
    (423) 961-2055

Be careful getting out to the main channel.
    It is really skinny water in some spots, suggest you troll until you figure it out.
    Haven't been there in years but it was a decent place as I remember.

DEFINITELY be careful going out of the creek into the river. There is one large stump on the way out that can do some real damage (don't ask me how I know). Idle speed ONLY until you get to the old riverbed.

4. Member
    Thanks I will check with them
    Jeremy From Indy
    2019 Suzuki 200SS

5. Member
    Cottonwoods up stream isn't bad

6. Member
    would that be cottonport? couldn't find a cottonwood

thanks
    Jeremy From Indy
    2019 Suzuki 200SS

7. Member
    Yes, it's Cottonport. It's maybe 10 miles or so up the river from Richland Creek (Dayton ramp). It's on the other side of the river, so you get to it via land from the opposite side than Dayton.

8. Member
    I recommend cotton port or grasshopper. Both are nice places. Cotton port is on the main channel just be careful of the ramp. It has a drop off and if you go off the end of the ramp might have a hard time getting you trailer up over it. Dropped ours off of it last year and had to burn rubber to pull trailer back over it. Ramp is nice at grasshopper. Very hairy getting to the main channel. Gets so shallow you can almost touch the bottom with your hand as you idle over. Also, watch for stumps as well idling out. My buddy hit the big one on the left idling out last year.
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Johnson

9. Member
    The Coast Guard or the folks that own Grasshopper would make a lot of folks happy with 2 or 3 channel markers from the ramp to the river channel.

The Coast Guard or the folks that own Grasshopper would make a lot of folks happy with 2 or 3 channel markers from the ramp to the river channel.
    We lobbied for those buoys for years. Never got anything done.

Back when I was a bit less "attentive" and more bold I parked a brand new Norris Craft on the above mentioned stump. Had to go back to the factory and have the pad repaired.

11. Member
    I live in the upper end of Whitfield County, Georgia and Grasshopper is the main ramp I use on Chick. I have been going there for 20+ years and haven't hit anything there, yet...

12. Member
    I live in the upper end of Whitfield County, Georgia and Grasshopper is the main ramp I use on Chick. I have been going there for 20+ years and haven't hit anything there, yet...
    It's on the left side of the creek channel heading out maybe 100 yards from the river channel. Somewhere around 675' you can see it peaking out of the water.

If you aren't familiar with the location of this stump ........ I'd urge you to locate it with the trolling motor. It has caused a bunch of damage over the years.

14. Member
    I show campgrounds in sale creek and possum creek any info on them i might do a day north and a day south
    Jeremy From Indy
    2019 Suzuki 200SS

15. Member
    Sale Creek is across the lake from Grasshopper, so it's "up lake" as Grasshopper as well.
    Possum is only 5 miles or so further downstream from those.
    I don't know of any camp sites any further toward down south toward Chick dam as you are getting closer to downtown Chattanooga.
    Someone chime in if I am incorrect.
    Last edited by printman71; 01-18-2020 at 11:02 AM.

16. Member
    Thank you for correction on Cottonport....

Harrison bay state park has camping closer to the dam. Very well patrolled. Also Skull Island but I've heard bad stories about there. I have put in that the ramp there without any problems

Quote Originally Posted by sdbrison View Post
    Harrison bay state park has camping closer to the dam. Very well patrolled. Also Skull Island but I've heard bad stories about there. I have put in that the ramp there without any problems
    Don't know his schedule or habits ....... But he needs to know that Harrison Bay is locked up at night. Skull Island used to be nothing but hookers and drugs. Don't know about the present situation there.

19. Member
    Agree 100%
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Johnson

Down the lake, at Chattanooga, is Chester Frost Park. That is Hamilton county park, used all year long .Tent or trailer camping. The launch is also right there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast