Replacing the sheath on Ultrex Control Cable

The exterior sheath on a Ultrex that covers the control cables becomes very stiff when the ambient temperature drops. In my opinion, even when the ambient temperature is warm to most people it is still a bit stiff.

Has anyone removed the exterior sheath and replaced it with a soft pliable material?
    Carte's Custom

2. Member
    Most People are getting the T&H protector which is Velcro and you don't have to disassemble the troll motor to put on. Minn Kota is aware of this issue and you should start seeing the new material come on the new troll motors some time in this quarter or second quarter. If you have an issue with yours then you can do as I stated to start with or wait and I am sure that an ASC will be able to handle when the new jackets when it becomes available.

I also use the troll jacket and added double sided 3M tape with velcro strap to hold in position to keep it from sliding and bunching up.

Attachment 390004

Attachment 390005

Attachment 390006

4. Member
    Question for you guys that are using the Troll Jacket:

Did you take off the MK cover, or just wrap the jacket around it? If you took it off, I assume you just slit it with a knife and peeled it off.

Correct?

Tin snips to take it off
    Thank You Leon Pugh

6. Member
    Thanks for your post. I will proceed in correcting this issue.
    Carte's Custom

7. Member
    Why is mk only just now making a change ? Their cable covers have been a pos for as long as I have used them(20 years or so). I think the first crack I saw in my ultrex happened on the first month.

good question.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakey Head1 View Post
    I also use the troll jacket and added double sided 3M tape with velcro strap to hold in position to keep it from sliding and bunching up
    Shakey - I don’t see a loose loop on your transducer or Ethernet cable. How do you keep it from stretching or binding as the motor turns?

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

10. Member
    https://kootek.com/kootek-118-cable-...ffice-theater/

can also be found on Amazon, I have had mine on for almost a year, works great

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rakkc View Post
    https://kootek.com/kootek-118-cable-...ffice-theater/

can also be found on Amazon, I have had mine on for almost a year, works great
    rakkc - Did you remove the original cover?

I noticed the cover on my new Ultrex was broken before I finished installing it. Funny my old fortrex is ten years old and still looks good, in comparison this new one seems extremely stiff. If Minn Kota’s coming out with a new cover I may wait to have mine replaced. Can anyone confirm there’s a new one in the works?
    Last edited by lauzon4; 01-19-2020 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post
    Shakey - I don’t see a loose loop on your transducer or Ethernet cable. How do you keep it from stretching or binding as the motor turns?
    Looks like everything except the ethernet cable is ran under the steering box so it will not need as much loop. While the ethernet cable does appear to run thru a couple of the steering control cable loops.
    I'm sure it works for his application... Would never work for me when having to fish shallow or in heavy aquatic vegetation.

13. Member
    I have not removed the sheath/cover, just picked up the trolling motor (used) a few weeks ago and it was all cracked and split. Just covered it with he Kootek cable protector for now.

14. Member
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is what I used. Nice workable neoprene type material with full length Velcro. I didn't remove the existing sleeve but used this to run 2 transducer wires on the outside of the sleeve.

15. Member
    I brought this exact topic back in October when I was there for training. There response was yes it’s more rigid there was a change for UV protection from previous ones used. At the time they didn’t indicate they were addressing the issue , but if enough warranty claims come thru they need to get a handle on it. So I suppose enough complaints were logged about it

16. Member
    I removed the original cover and replaced it with the Kootek neoprene one. I got tired of trying to keep my TM cable out of the way of my graphs.

17. Member
    As a small company I custom build allot of things that need to be improved or simply does not exist. I now make a soft pliable sheath for the Ultrex control cables. My sheath is made with a full length heavy duty zipper. The fabric is soft, pliable and near waterproof. You can run the transducers cables along side the control cables and just zip on the sheath over all the cables. You can make the choice to remove the original stiff plastic cover or not. I removed mine and is it ever stiff. Take into consideration that there are two push pull cables inside that plastic sheath that are quite stiff. There are two very pliable power cables and a small wire within the bundle. I would say the overall reduction in stiffness is 40% by removing the stiff plastic. I can make the cover in a variety of colors. I will try to post pictures. If you are interested in one send a private message.
    1F7DDFF2-35D1-43F0-B116-6EB42202ECA1.jpeg
    F4474908-FA4C-489C-AD04-99A67AE78FC9.jpeg
    Carte's Custom

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lmoore View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is what I used. Nice workable neoprene type material with full length Velcro. I didn't remove the existing sleeve but used this to run 2 transducer wires on the outside of the sleeve.
    did the same thing as you. Just searched neoprene velcro cable management.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2019 Skeeter FX20 250 SHO