Garmin Force Reviews

Not sure if anyone has started a review thread or not? I’m thinking of buying one and would like to hear what you guys that have one think of it.

Thanks

2. Member
    got one..

3.5 out 5 star...
    lots of power, had it up to 4mph(phoenix 20phx), very responsive, takes some getting used to turn motor to get livescope lined up, easy to install once you kinda figure it out, like the brushless motor idea, remote easy to use, even though i dont really, spot lock seems fine(unless zero wind) kinda hard time finding itself it seems but ok. easy to pair up with garmin units, also did the upgrade to 2.3 this weeknd...you use the remote for that. also like idea that i can go to 24v if battery goes bad and still has lots of thrust under 24v.

negatives needs wider heel or move the anchor/spot lock button out litte more, iv hit it quite few times when trying to dial in the head/arrow in the location im wanting to face when using the livescope. already had one snafu with the button(power/the gas pedal) it wouldnt work and i noticed it was getting louder when in use, the spring was just nosiey, then it didnt work at all, then i fixed it some how...everything else worked on the pedal. spotlock etc. sent video to garmin support... they called me asap this morning... sending me new pedal.. might i add i have the button go out on my minn kotas also...usually simple fix.

for sure like it better than the ultrex. and im sure minn kota is making a new one as write this...

3. Member
    Also interested in this. Just not much out there in terms of reviews for the Force. Would love hear some before buying.

4. Member
    Not being an expert on trolling motors I'm not sure how to answer. Perhaps post a list of specific features or performances to comment on. I'll start with some.

1. Noise. Extremely quiet. When I was crappie fishing with a Minn Kota and watching the fish on LiveScope, when I would engage the prop I could see the fish dart in response. When I am crappie fishing I have the speed set to 1 or 2 of 10 and there is no response from the fish on prop engagement. I can't see that there is any negative effect at all.

2. Power/Speed. Very powerful. I know there is a dispute between Garmin and Lowrance on who has the most powerful. I've not used a Ghost but from what I've seen from RMP the Force is more powerful. Lowrance publishes a bigger number for the rating but the rating method is suspect. Ordinarily when moving from point to point or across the lake I don't use the big motor any more. I just stay put at the bow and head out.

3. Convenience. Garmin knocked the ball out of the park here. Foot Pedal, Remote, and MFD controls. The gesture functions on the remote are really handy. I rarely use the speed wheel on the foot pedal since I have the LVS on the shaft and don't want to accidentally move the pointing. So I use either the MFD or remote to set speed.

4. Battery Saving. I use two Walmart batteries, 24v. Thursday I fished all day and use the Force extensively. With the Minn Kota I would see a power fade after about 4-5 hours. Still usable, but less thrust. I have not seen any power fade with all day fishing and my fishing is trolling motor intensive. I actually use the TM much more than before because of the extra power.

The biggest disadvantage I've seen is with the foot pedal controls. It's winter and I wear big boots. Every trip I accidentally engage some of the foot pedal controls for Anchor Hold or Heading Hold.

I have only touched the surface. This is a very feature rich system. You really need to download the User Manual and read it to see all it will do and the extensiveness of the controls.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

5. Member
    All known issues so far: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1019046

Most are minor and fixable via software updates though!

"When My Ship Comes In, I will Probably Be At The Airport"
    USAF Retired

7. Member
    I have only used once, but agree the only negative is the foot pedal is too narrow. I am constantly bumping anchor lock with my boots on.

8. Member
    Guys that have this motor and potentially switched from Ultrex - two quick questions:

1. I know hold pattern lines up with Ultrex for mounting - did you use this and did the Force still site 'right' size wise (not sure how much bigger or different shape it is)?

2. Support Arm: I have this on my Ultrex of course right now - aka: Hole drilled in my deck. My fear / gut says the Force Arm won't line up. Anyone know on this if they did it themselves?

Thanks!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiel0059 View Post
    Guys that have this motor and potentially switched from Ultrex - two quick questions:

1. I know hold pattern lines up with Ultrex for mounting - did you use this and did the Force still site 'right' size wise (not sure how much bigger or different shape it is)?

2. Support Arm: I have this on my Ultrex of course right now - aka: Hole drilled in my deck. My fear / gut says the Force Arm won't line up. Anyone know on this if they did it themselves?

Thanks!
    They are close in size all things considered....I've put on a half dozen so far.....and no the stabilizer bar will not hit same place.