03 Yamaha 150 VMAX questions

Whats the best fuel additive for this motor? Also, if the previous owner used penzoil would it be okay to switch over to a different oil? Which brings me to my last question, what is the best oil to use? TIA

hi all...I have '04 150 Vmax carbed...been using Pennzoil semi synthetic...Yamaha ring free and Seafoam since new...never had an issue
    Allen
    911 Bass Anglers
    Bucks County PA

3. Member
    I have a 99 175 Carbed Vmax, I use ring free and yamalube without any issues.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by allen656 View Post
    hi all...I have '04 150 Vmax carbed...been using Pennzoil semi synthetic...Yamaha ring free and Seafoam since new...never had an issue
    Do you use ring free and sea foam together?

yes I do....seafoam every full tank....ring free once a month...I use about 30 gallons of 93 octane per month
    Allen
    911 Bass Anglers
    Bucks County PA

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by allen656 View Post
    yes I do....seafoam every full tank....ring free once a month...I use about 30 gallons of 93 octane per month
    Thanks so much for your help. I like the way you do it since ring free is so damn expensive.

7. Member
    I didn’t care for the Yamaha Lube in my 2003 150 VMax(smoky and didn’t get great plug life). I ran the oil level down and then drained the reservoir on the outboard and the tank in the boat and cleaned it. Switched to Lucas Marine 2 stroke oil (Academy was pretty reasonable price) and never looked back. (Make sure you manually refill the outboard tank with the switch on the back) Prop stayed clean, plugs looked better, and smoke was nearly nonexistent. Ran it that way for about 6 years before I sold it last year. Only additive I used in the fuel was staibill with ethanol free gas and ran a can of sea foam couple times a year.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

I use yamalube oil, and ring free on my 08 carbed vmax. Also i use seafoam in the fuel system. I used to have problems with fowling plugs till i adjusted the oil pump. Now my plugs last alot longer. Ring free and seafoam on every fill-up. I use quantities according to manufacture.

I really believe all the 150 carbed vmax motor oil pumps need to be inspected (check adjustment) once a year as part of scheduled maintenance. I just found my plastic pump linkage retainer cracked. I had to adjust the pump stop when i replaced it.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!