What is this broken, gooey fuel mess?

2006 225 Pro XS 1B244530

I was fishing today when I started smelling and seeing a slick at the back of the boat. I thought it was gear oil, but when I got back in I realized it was a fuel smell. I popped the cowl and found fuel dripping from what I call a hollow nut on the left side. This nut had two wires running into it and the wires were sealed into it with a gooey substance. Since the whole thing was compromised I tugged the wires and they came out with barely any resistance. The wires were connected to long, thin blades. Appears to be a sensor of some sort, but what is it and what is the fix?

Thank you!

IMG_3808.jpgIMG_3815.jpgInkedIMG_3816_LI.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    That’s the “water in fuel” sensor for the VST. I would say you need a new one.

3. Member
    Edit - sorry double post
    Last edited by Jtreed99; 01-12-2020 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Double post

Thank you very much. Simple loosen, unplug, tighten, plug repair? Or do I need to bleed/purge/prime anything along the way?

Thanks!

5. Member
    Known problem. EASY DOES IT! Make sure you use a socket not a crescent or combination wrench to remove.
    And the right sided socket, cant remember if it a 4 sided socket or what but pretty sure not a 12.
    My buddy took his out with a crescent and it broke off up inside the VST. He got to buy himself a new VST.
    I watched them replace mine under warranty. Think all you have to do is pump your bulb after installing new sensor.
    Wait for one of the guru"s to give you more details.

An additional question I now have.

When you guys told me what the problem was I thought it would be a very simple part replacement. I have now looked up photos of the actual part and the fins have a plastic plug frame around them, which I assume will come out when the nut is removed. As you can see however, the fins were suspended in a gooey mess of something, and they pulled right out with zero effort at all. Does that make this a more complicated issue, meaning does that goo have the propensity to gum other components up? If so, what is the proper way to make sure everything is clear and good to go again?

Thanks!

Drain the VST and remove the filter. Clean out any stuff in the bottom of the filter housing. Remove the nut that the wires were connected to. Replace the VST water sensor and probably a good time to replace the filter. Pump the primer bulb and check for leaks.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

8. Member
    Make sure you use the right tool to remove red filter cap. More plastic to break and ruin VST. There is a special tool which is not expensive.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    6 point socket to remove the old one. As suggested, use the correct tool to remove the filter, and inspect for any debris inside the filter housing. Be VERY careful not so get debris up around the threaded area at the top, as the passage going to the AFT (rear) chamber is in that area (just below threads).

Don't over-tighten the new one. Install and snug it with a traditional open-end wrench.

Recommend a fresh filter when reinstalling- and CHECK ETHANOL CONTENT OF FUEL. These sensors tend to disintegrate when fuel with too high an ethanol content is introduced.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Don if I may add a little to this, I firmly believe that using non approved additives and/or higher than recommended concentrations is also a factor in that sensor failing, also mixing additives can create many unknown chemical reactions
    Thank You Leon Pugh

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That is certainly possible, Leon. I have seen similar results with Fuel Rail Diaphragms that were strongly "suspect".

Just not enough concrete data for me to see a consistent pattern (yet).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor