Thread: Ticking noise

Question Ticking noise

Merc 250 pro XS 2007 serial#1B446096

https://imgur.com/a/ynXIPfp

Weird ticking noise, maybe a pulley going bad?

Was out in the water and wind blowing so I didnt take the cowling off. Came home and did a visual check. Next weekend I’ll hook the water to it and run it to see if I can pinpoint it.
    Last edited by Reelsore; 01-12-2020 at 04:04 PM.
    Sometimes I need my ATV when in my boat and sometimes I need my boat while riding my ATV.

2. Member
    Inspect the belt and tensioner.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Very difficult to diagnose "sounds" by monitor and keyboard. Honestly heard "nothing" in the video (at all).

Direct inspection will likely be necessary.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

https://imgur.com/a/6dLvgBb

Sounds like the compressor is going out. Since i caught it early, think its safe to just change the compressor. Aka boat = break out another thousand.
    Last edited by Reelsore; 01-18-2020 at 08:10 PM.
    Sometimes I need my ATV when in my boat and sometimes I need my boat while riding my ATV.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Any failure in the compressor can subject the rails, hoses and system to metallic debris.

Removing the belt, and manually checking the compressor pulley movement would be the first logical step. Likely will want to open it up and look at all of the components, too.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thank you sir

Heck, my 2016 has made that ticking sound since the very first time I fired it up. I’ve had it serviced at local merc dealer and they checked the compressor and all was fine.