Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I will also never have a rig without one. But I will also say that my 08 already had one on, and I probably wouldn't have added it. But in learning all the different uses I ended up having for it, it was a must have when ordering my 2018. Folks think they are for shallow water, and squeezing maximum top end out of a rig. Maybe, but I also love being able to

Idle shallow flats while keeping boat more level than if I had motor trimmed way up.

No matter the depth, you will move faster with less wake in a no wake zone with your plate up, and motor flat. Don't ask me why, I just know boat idles faster with plate up.

Get in and out of those shallow weigh in coves easier.

2-3' chop; I put plate up 1/2 way, nose down and haul the mail.

An extra $1k on $70k won't make a dang bit of difference payment wise, but I think you will find many more uses for your hydraulic plate than you thought you would.
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.

2. Member
    Ran them with and now current boat has a manual. If I still lived were I was living in VA I wouldn't be as concerned with not having one because I fished lakes that weren't that shallow. Now most all of the lakes are shallow and wish I did have it. So what lakes you fish certainly could make or break having one.

3. Member
    Thanks all - appreciate the responses. I can see how having ones makes a lot of sense in most applications.

Hydraulic plates became popular with the 2 stroke Mercury with boat gaining equipment and weight, as they have less torque. Power Poles, especially Talons, dual graphs, larger trolling motors and carrying more tackle impact hole shot. The ability to lift the engine improve propeller venting and reduces hole shot times. Then in some cases it allows use of the propeller which minimizes top end performance.

It allows quick maximization of performance, ability to adjust the ride on rough water and can give the user a positive experience. That is If the user understands how to use it properly.

Caution, as hydraulic plates also can make a driver worse as most everyone we know runs their plates too high, with a hot foot this creates a challenge and can be a serious handling issue when the user backs off instantly in rough water, approaching wakes and etc. They reduce steering control as they instantly drop the nose when approaching, instinctively removing the foot from the accelerator as in a car, this allows the bow to drop.

When the bow drops under fast deceleration, the skeg is the Rudder and it is now removed more from contact at the higher engine heights. The rudder is the skeg and dropping the bow first can pull the Gearcase up around 3 to 6 inches, when you most need it for control.

It is imperative that a user always trim down first when approaching a wake or vessel, thus increasing the skegs water contact and gaining critical control. Trim and lower the plate, then reduce throttle speeds.

Almost every user of a hydraulic plate raises them to excess heights and as a result they have increased steering torque caused by surfacing propeller blade. Varying hulls and overall weights, vary the degree of impact that engine height has on control at all levels when the engine is over raised.

A SIMPLE way to know if your engine is TOO HIGH is the steering feedback pulling excessively to the right. If that is the case when your running top end, then your engine is likely too high. This is the indicator on most all hulls that your slipping and not efficient also. Various propellers also change the slippage and thus the engine heights must be reset to match your propellers connection and efficiency.

A hydraulic jack plate can make setup and performance much better, though it also can make an untrained driver a recipe for disaster. They also increase service cost down line as things will break from pumps to wiring and senders. Further, a HEIGHT GAUGE is critical for gaining an understanding of control. We ONLY sell plates with gauges on our products. In opposition most do not sell them with gauges and everyone should have a gauge or a setting control limiting system (ProTap) for increased understanding of settings. It is more critical by far than a trim gauge.

We sell a significant percentage of our products with hydraulic plates today and we have for almost 20 years. The ratio has definitely increased and with all of the four stroke motors and torque today many no longer have the need for them. It’s a personal preference and we are well over 50% on Premium series lineup, probably more like 75-80% on big boats over 225 HP.

If you fish mostly one area, many have no need for one.

BCB
    Last edited by Bass Cat Boats; 01-14-2020 at 09:14 AM.

Use mine all the time. Loading the boat. But on the water to get into skinny water or when running in skinny water. I do not use it to improve performance, just for running conditions and loading the boat.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

Great explanation from BCB!
    I fish a lot of shallow water and use my hydraulic jp every trip. It is worth it for my style of fishing and the locations I fish.
    Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive

7. Member
    my jack plate is an integral part of the whole setup. I drop it all the way down in rough water, I jack it all the way up when beaching and loading. I use it to get the speed back from having full livewells. Not using one is a compromise - If you want best handling and best performance you need one and need to figure out how to use it correctly.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

First let me say I don't have. But on the next Okeechobee boat will have one. In our current northern location the lake I fish is 95% deep and don't need one as far as I am concerned.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

9. Member
    I fish a lot of shallow places, never had one on my 17 or 18 foot boats. But I find it an absolute necessity on my 20 footer with a heavier 250 on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinV View Post
    I had one on my old boat. Found myself messing with it all the time. It’s very nice in shallow water, but I don’t miss having one on my new boat to be honest. Stick with a manual is my vote.

That is how I feel. Had it on my last boat that I bought used. I used it some but I doubt I would pay to have one put on a new boat. More than anything it was a pain to remember to run it all the way down at the ramp after loading up. I just feel for me personally its not a must have and I am a shallow water guy.

I never had one until I bought my 2017 521. Not being a performance guy (rarely exceed 45mph) I do not see any value from that aspect but.... I REALLY like it for running in shallow water, getting the best speed without making a wake (no wake lakes..) and ease of mind when loading on shallower ramps...
    Scott

2022 Phoenix 21 PHX
    Solix & Helix w/ Mega Live
    MinnKota Ultrexx 36v 112
    Power Poles

Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    I would not own a bass boat without one, use it all the time for several reasons listed in the above comments.
    this

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12